Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lotus Locosts Alfa Romeo 159 SW TI

Very nice.

With the prices you pay for fuel that consumption figure is very useful
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    apart from this I can subscribe to all posts here.
    We're all buying their cars so...

We must've all gone bonkers or something.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Beautiful car, I take it this has replaced the 9-3? Any comparative comments thus far?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Thanks for the comments guys.
    Yes, it's a replacement for the 9-3.

The biggest differneces:
    Better build quality/feeling in interior. (So far at least)
    Much more silent inside, especially surface/road rumbeling etc.
    Style and looks is way better.

Some negative parts:
    The diesel engine doesn't sound to well the first seconds when starting in the cold weather. Thats more a diesel thing, than an Alfa thing I think.
    Another thing, that I have decided to check out in a workshop, is a bit of noise from the turbo. It's only noticable on low turbo rpms. It has been there from when I picked up the car, but i was so blinded by love back then, that I hardly noticed it. Still factory warranty though..

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    Yes, it's a replacement for the 9-3.

The biggest differneces:
    Better build quality/feeling in interior. (So far at least)
    Much more silent inside, especially surface/road rumbeling etc.
    Style and looks is way better.

Some negative parts:
    The diesel engine doesn't sound to well the first seconds when starting in the cold weather. Thats more a diesel thing, than an Alfa thing I think.
    Another thing, that I have decided to check out in a workshop, is a bit of noise from the turbo. It's only noticable on low turbo rpms. It has been there from when I picked up the car, but i was so blinded by love back then, that I hardly noticed it. Still factory warranty though..
    if it is the turbo whistle at low revs, and especially with a cold engine, I don't think you need to worry.
    Good to hear that your diesel Alfa is much more silent inside than the petrol Saab. Goes against all prejudice
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Some negative parts:
    We have the same engine on the Croma, and both things as present. The engine gets definitely silenter when it reaches its operational temperature, and the turbo whistle is there, even if I have to say it was much more evident when the car was new. I could say it's actually gone now, but more likely it is diminished while at the same time I got used to it. It's surely less evident though.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

It's curious the Bimmer has no audible turbo whistle but the Delta has. Maybe it's an italian thing.
    Visca Catalunya!

On the Stilo it never was audible and so it's right now (90.000ish km), but I remember when the Alfa 156 (same engine, but with 105 bhp instad of 115 bhp) had around 150.000 km or so it was perceivable.
    AFAIK even on diesel engines from VAG and equipped with the rotative pump it's clearly there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's curious the Bimmer has no audible turbo whistle but the Delta has. Maybe it's an italian thing.
    My PSA engines all did it when cold.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

My PSA engines all did it when cold.
    So did the PSA units in our Phedras now that you mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    AFAIK even on diesel engines from VAG and equipped with the rotative pump it's clearly there.
    Having driven several versions of those can't remember it, altought it may be there and I could have not heard it.

On the Lancia though it's clearly audible, cold or hot, from new.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yeah.
    I have heard around with some friends, and it seems that the turbo sound is fairly normal. It has finally "broken down" for the first time. It has been fairly cold the last few days, with temperatures from -20 to -30 since Monday. I did the mistake of not starting her up on Tuesday, cause I had to drive another car. So on Wednesday morning, the battery had not enough guts to start her. And when I later tried to take out the battery and bring it in, the wire for opening the bonnet had frozen stuck
    So now it's stuck until higher temperatures arrive, either to manage to fire her up, or manage to open the bonnet and giver her some extra electricity...

Yeah.
    I have heard around with some friends, and it seems that the turbo sound is fairly normal. It has finally "broken down" for the first time. It has been fairly cold the last few days, with temperatures from -20 to -30 since Monday. I did the mistake of not starting her up on Tuesday, cause I had to drive another car. So on Wednesday morning, the battery had not enough guts to start her. And when I later tried to take out the battery and bring it in, the wire for opening the bonnet had frozen stuck
    So now it's stuck until higher temperatures arrive, either to manage to fire her up, or manage to open the bonnet and giver her some extra electricity...
    what you could do is tow her and start in 2nd gear. (I once got stuck with an empty battery when were about to go back home from our wintersports in France. Fortunately the car could be move to a downhill part of the road, and I managed to get it going by letting it roll down and engage second gear (with the ignition on of course). I suppose your glowing time is next to zero, even when it is cold, so pulling the car could do the trick. After running it four half an hour you could probably restart it on the battery.

Welcome to the joys of modern italian motoring. They still brake down. But they are still a joy.
    Visca Catalunya!

what you could do is tow her and start in 2nd gear. (I once got stuck with an empty battery when were about to go back home from our wintersports in France. Fortunately the car could be move to a downhill part of the road, and I managed to get it going by letting it roll down and engage second gear (with the ignition on of course). I suppose your glowing time is next to zero, even when it is cold, so pulling the car could do the trick. After running it four half an hour you could probably restart it on the battery.
    Yeah I have thought about this.
    And there is a possibility to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Welcome to the joys of modern italian motoring. They still brake down. But they are still a joy.
    Thank you very much

Thread Information