Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda RX-8 or Nissan 350Z

Mazda RX-8 or Nissan 350Z

hey all, am planing into buying a new car, and i have some problems choosing between the RX-8 and the 350Z

i know that the rx-8 has a 1.3 L V4 engine with a 238 HP while the 350Z has a 3.5L V6 engine with 287 HP

but the interior of the RX-8 is reaaaallly amaazing, and especially the dash board

anyhow, can you please compare the both cars and tell me which is better.
    also money wise...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haso0on
    hey all, am planing into buying a new car, and i have some problems choosing between the RX-8 and the 350Z

i know that the rx-8 has a 1.3 L V4 engine with a 238 HP while the 350Z has a 3.5L V6 engine with 287 HP
    That might have been a typo, in case it's not then the engine is a 650cc x2 rotor wankel engine. If you're not sure what that is http://www.mazdarx8.co.uk/rotary/default.asp will guide you and that site will explain the advantages as Mazda see them.

Personally I would suggest you only consider the RX-8 if you understand the engine and the choices you make. The Wankel engine history hasn't always been a good one.
    In the UK, I've been told that Mazda are having cars back into the showroom to do an extra 500 mile oil change. Suspicions aboudn that they are looking for soemthing - could it be the old tip rotors AGAIN - hope not

On looks howveer, the RX-8 has it for me too. Being adventrurous enough in desing to put in rear sucide doors and generally clean interior is a plus over the Nissan's "sameness".

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I would choose the 350Z over the RX-8 anytime.

When Nissan came out with the 350Z they did several tests in Japan, including a 3 lap race against a Porsche Boxster, BMW M3, Honda S2000 and another car which I can't remember (all driven by JTCC drivers). Ended up the Z won (it started from the 1st row and the M3 being on the last) with the M3 came in 2nd.

Although the Japanese specs are different from the export models, I still think the Z will out-perform, out-handle the RX-8. And I don't like the suicide door on the RX-8.

Just my 2 cents.
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

rx-8, though thats a tricky one!!
    the r8-8 handaling is suppose to be quaility and the looks, practacality are all top featuers with the mazda....(download the top gear episode on it)!
    the 350z looks are radical...though the interior is dull, i sat in one a few weeks ago...
    overall the mazer tops the nissy

If you plan to keep your car stock then choose the one you like more. If I were choosing I would go with the 350Z. You can get a lot more aftermarket parts for the 350Z. Nissan even offers a bunch of performance parts through its Nismo division. Also you don't need to rev the Nissan through the roof to get the most out of it like you need to with the RX-8.

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,...anding,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by haso0on
    i know that the rx-8 has a 1.3 L V4 engine
    Hahahahahahahahahaha, oookkkay.

All laughing aside, it depends on what you want in the car. Is it going to be a daily driver to get you to and from work? Are you ever going to be carrying more than one passenger? Do you want a clean, smooth 3.5L engine with plenty of torque, or a quick and nimble high revving rotary? Are you going to keep it stock or plan on modding it?

The Z: Powerful, smooth, good handling, relatively cheap and easy to mod and make very fast. But only has two seats, an ugly interior, is more expensive, and IMO looks terrible.

The 8: Fun to drive, 9.5 thousand revs to play with, nice interior, two back seats and even two rear doors. Not as fast in a straight line as the Z, but around the corners it's just as impressive. The looks aren't for everyone, and may take you a while to love it. Also the wankel has very little torque, so you'll have to be high in your rpm band and be a pretty good driver to get the most out of the engine and throw you back in your seat. Rotary engines are harder and more expensive to modify, and don't have the best reputation for longevity.

With that in mind, go test drive both cars and see which one fits you best. Then weigh in their practicality. Z: Better for a track car, 8: Better if you want to carry passengers and luggage. Which one is more fun to drive, and which one you are going to be happy with years from now.

I would have to go witht the Z. Its V-6 is exactly what i want and need, plus, the track model offer some nice brembo brakes.
    To Some, a rusted out 1989 GMC Suburban* is trash

But to Me, its home

Definitely the RX-8, more economic an better looking ( + all the other amazing things about it that i wont start going on about )

Get the Z, get the Z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

350Z is better

if you are going to modify it, i think 350Z is way better, at least in fuel effeciency. Mod a 350Z to twin turbo, running 0.7 bar. This will give you about 360 to 370 horsepower (probably 340 on the wheel) and you still get 28 mpg!!! i don't think any other turbocharged cars can match this. I think it is great running cost, considering my 68bhp 4k 1.3l old OHC engine consume the same ammount of fuel

personally if you have that money you should get a 1999-2000 R34 skyline.

but between the two 350-hands down it actually looks good unlike the 8
    i am imature

I am so smart, S.M.R.T, i am so smart, DOH!, i mean, S.M.A.R.T- Homer Simpson

thats kinda a personal question dont you think? its kinda up to what you like most in a car...

Okay you're going to think I'm crazy or maybe a little bit messed up upstairs, but heres my advice: take the rotary

Take the rx8 and redo the exhaust at your local autozone or whatever. This is what i did to my baby. I think the sound alone of the engine should do it. Beautiful.
    Absolutely stunning noise when it reaches the 8000 mark.

I own an RX8, and I love it. But my decision to buy the RX8 instead of the other cars I also considered (Nissan 350Z, Honda S2000, Audi TT, G35, Lotus Elise, WRX STi) was based more on style than perfomance. I prefer handling to horsepower, and I love the looks and ergos of the RX8.

I love my car (except for the gas mileage those EPA estimate numbers are total BS). I suspect though if I had got any of the others, I'd have loved them as well.

get an s2000
    350 has no practicallity and the rx8 is trying to be everythign at once which doesnt work.
    dont worry about performance considering no one ever pushes there car to the level where those few tenths of a horsepower or 0-60 time will matter.

but if u really have ur heart set on those 2 then i think u should go for the rx8, atleast it has rear seats

Quote Originally Posted by babel17
    I own an RX8, and I love it. But my decision to buy the RX8 instead of the other cars I also considered (Nissan 350Z, Honda S2000, Audi TT, G35, Lotus Elise, WRX STi) was based more on style than perfomance. I prefer handling to horsepower, and I love the looks and ergos of the RX8.

I love my car (except for the gas mileage those EPA estimate numbers are total BS). I suspect though if I had got any of the others, I'd have loved them as well.
    i dont mean to poke into your business but did u even test the other cars you listed?

the s2000 and elise have far superior handling to the rx8, ive drivin the s2000 myself only once and the sadly the elise is still on my "cars i need to drive" list but from reputation alone i can safely say those 2 are much better than the mazda. but as i've pointed out before the mazda is the only one of these 3 with working rear seats

Thread Information