Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US swimming record set by 41 year old mother...roids anyone?

US swimming record set by 41 year old mother...roids anyone?

Torres, 41, Sets Records At Olympic Swim Trials : NPR

Here's the scoop. This lady has been swimming her entire life and has been to several olympics. I believe (but i could be wrong) that she set the old record in her mid to late 20's. But she just set the new US record at the age of 41. She also had a baby just a couple years ago.

Many people are celebrating this amazing story blah blah blah

other people are saying that it seems too good to be true and maybe she's on something. Although she personally went and got tested at one of the premier steroid testing centers and she came out clean.

Here's my take:

I know that they have new super fast swimsuits now that they never had before but 41 years of age is a lot of years. In general in almost all sports athletes peak in their mid to late 20's and start to decline by their mid 30's. Even in very low impact sports like golf once you get old enough your body just isn't as good as it used to be (hence why jack nicklaus cant compete on the tour anymore). And swimming is a lot tougher on your body than golf is.

In addition to your body not being as strong, quick, and powerful as it used to be when you were younger, your recovery time is a lot longer when you are older. Hell, i remember when i was a kid i sprained my ankle playing football (us) and i was back on it again the next day. A year ago i sprained my ankle and it took me 3 days before i could use it like normal. I cant imagine how long the recovery time will be when im 40. And its not just recovering from injuries, its also just recovering from a tough workout. This lady competed in a different trial the day before she won this. I think a 41 year old would be pretty stiff in the morning compared to a 20 year old.

Also, steroid technology right now is several years ahead of steroid testing technology so i dont know how much faith i have in steroid tests.

So while i hope her story is true and there are no roids, the unemotional (common sense) part of my brain is telling me its too good to be true.

There's my take, Whats yours?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Unlikely to be 'steroids' as such, as they tend to increase muscle size and strength, whereas it's metabolic conditioning and endurance required for swimming. EPO and drugs of its kind are much more likely to have been used. That's if anything at all has been used of course...
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I'm not going to suspect roids...because being a mountain biker I've seen plenty of examples of good genetics vs bad genetics. Good genes can overcome age.

I really want to believe that this is just some feat of the human body. I heard from someone that having the baby may have actually helped her but I don't know if thats true or not. I hope for her families sake its not true and I think its a good sign she is doing her own steroids tests because I never saw Bonds or any of those guys do that. Until I hear something definitive I am going to believe she is clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I'm not going to suspect roids...because being a mountain biker I've seen plenty of examples of good genetics vs bad genetics. Good genes can overcome age.
    Indeed they can but I assume that all the other olympic hopefuls she's competing against also got pretty good tickets in the genetic lottery.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Unlikely to be 'steroids' as such, as they tend to increase muscle size and strength
    yeah but... didn't a recent tour de france winner get pwned by steroids?

and its not like swimming 50 meters is considered an endurance event

roids promotes muscle development in many ways that includes, but is not limited to: growth, recovery, development, and movement
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Definitely not steroids. Its a clear case of heart, dedication, and determination over age. Anyone can over come those odds if they want it bad enough.

I figured HGH was a possibility as well - I don't think that's detectable.

I don't know enough about swimming to comment on which/if drugs have been taken. Problem is that the wolf has been cried out on steroids so every time a dubious or heroic feat occurs, the steroid question becomes the first thing on people's minds.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I wouldnt suspect steroids straight away. I think this is plausibly as many have said a culmination of dedication and determination. Not everybody reaches their sporting peak around their early 20's, I know many athletes at world class level who due to personal circumstances have reached their peak in their 30's instead of their 20's.

Also if it is steroids i would have thought it a bit stupid to do at 40 as steroids often piggy back on your bodies natural levels and if she was going to do steroids why didnt she do them in her 20's and 30's unless its one last desperate attempt to reach a lifelong goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I don't know enough about swimming to comment on which/if drugs have been taken. Problem is that the wolf has been cried out on steroids so every time a dubious or heroic feat occurs, the steroid question becomes the first thing on people's minds.
    This is true. I'm surprised no one said steroids played a part in Eli Manning evading the rush and completing the helmet catch to David Tyree in Super Bowl XLII.

Oh and to add, this the 5th time she has taken part in the Olympics. Even if she has/had taken steroids the amount of medals she has is mind blowing.

From the news week article:
    She submits to voluntary extra testing in order to combat the inevitable rumors of performance-enhancing drugs (and has never tested positive).

Articles:
    How Dara Torres Succeeds as an Athlete at 41 | Newsweek Culture | Newsweek.com
    Wikipedia is our friend. Dara Torres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Viper007; 07-08-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Sprinters (in swimming at least, I don't know anything about running) generally retain their abilities much longer than endurance runners because sprinting requires so much strength as opposed to...well endurance. Gary Hall Jr. made five Olympics as a sprinter and narrowly missed making a sixth one.

Plus the new Speedo suit, the LZR, has set 38 or so world records as of last month since it came out. The times in the 50 are so close it's no big surprise that the record fell. Also, records in swimming have been falling at a crazy rate anyways, whether it's better conditioning and training or something more sinister like steroids, then she's only as guilty as the rest of them.
    "It's the only car I've ever driven that'll spin the wheels at 200 mph."
    -Mark Donohue, talking about the Penske 917/30 twin-turbo Porsche Can-Am car.

WH0 Cares??? I mean its the Olympic were talking about....no one has cared about them since the 80s....she has already won medals so she dont even care.....
    Oo____oO GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by CamNismo View Post
    WH0 Cares??? I mean its the Olympic were talking about....no one has cared about them since the 80s....she has already won medals so she dont even care.....
    A lot of people care about the olympics. And by a lot I mean A LOT.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information