Thread: Dakar Death

Dakar Death

Death of Andy Caldecott

The organisers of the 28th edition of the Dakar have learnt today, Monday the 9th of January 2006, the death of KTM rider n°10 Andy Caldecott.

At km 250 of stage 9 between Nouakchott and Kiffa, on a fast portion, the Australian biker suffered a bad crash. and died.

Aware of the accident at 11:31AM, the rally headquarters immediately sent a medical helicopter that landed at 11:55 AM on the scene of the accident. The doctors unfortunately could only note the death of the biker that according to them struck immediately.

Andy Caldecott, 41 years of age, was competing in his third Dakar. He had finished 6th of the 2005 edition and was currently 10th overall of this edition after having won stage 5 between Nador and Er-Rachidia in Morocco.
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

he died yesterday
    he wasn't even planning to compete in today's dakar, but came for some other guy who was injured and couldn't start at dakar
    ge was really talented; it was just his third dakar and he has already managed to win a stage

because of that accident bikes weren't competiting today, they only rode to the end of the stage
    Last edited by dydzi; 01-10-2006 at 12:39 PM.
    12 cylinders or walk!

Its really sad, he's a local legend. Only yesterday I said to wife "watch this guy go he's a real talent"

Vale Andy Caldecott

http://www.abc.net.au/southeastsa/stories/s1019091.htm

Yeah, this is Dakar... No wonder people say it's the hardest and most dangerous rally in the world.

But nontheless my thoughts are with his family
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

legend. will miss watching his talent.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

It's interesting that a lot of the motorcyclists have been dieing as of late in the dakar. Some of the best especially.
    Taking in donations for a Lancia Delta Integrale, please be considerate of a fellow forum member....:)

I wonder if some of the deaths are from riders over-estimating their abilities. Its all fine when you are practicing along some dirt track you've been down before, but nobody can remember the entire dakar rally can they?

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    I wonder if some of the deaths are from riders over-estimating their abilities. Its all fine when you are practicing along some dirt track you've been down before, but nobody can remember the entire dakar rally can they?
    Even if you COULD remember it it would be useless as some of it is over dunes which change dramatically and the rains even substantially change the roads and on top of that riders will often take shortcuts.

Driving/riding the Dakar is all about what you OBSERVE.
    Bikes are particularly dangerous as soft sand grabs front wheels and flips bikes
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'm confused...how many times do they run this Dakar event? Every time I hear of a death, its during different seasons of the year....
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

THE Dakar is this time of year.

other events may get described as "dakar" meaning they are "raid" events.

Not knowing where you are or get your info it doesn't help us give an explanation !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information