Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: multiple turbo diesel madness

hmm...seems we could go for a while, we both drive diesels anyway....
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    hmm...seems we could go for a while, we both drive diesels anyway....
    if we don't, Ferrer will
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    if we don't, Ferrer will
    does he love diesels too? -In the UK the government are evil, they know people buy diesels now so charge more for diesel! you need to drive 1000s of miles in a diesel car to make up the difference after shelling out for a pricier car and fuel
    autozine.org

does he love diesels too? -(

you might want to read some of his posts in this thread
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

just been reading Ferrers posts. He has a good argument and so do you(henk4). Its very subjective. I would take a 535d over a 540i but not a C1 hdi over a C1 1.0.
    autozine.org

In the UK the government are evil, they know people buy diesels now so charge more for diesel!
    I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that you were wrong.

As of 1st September 2006:

Sulphur-free petrol/diesel 48.35p
    Ultra low sulphur petrol/diesel 48.35p

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/budget...06_press02.cfm

Don't forget that diesel and petrol don't start off costing the same anyway.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that you were wrong.

As of 1st September 2006:

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/budget...06_press02.cfm

im confused, petrol is 85p/litre, diesel 94p/litre where i am right now.
    autozine.org

im confused, petrol is 85p/litre, diesel 94p/litre where i am right now.

85 - 48.35 = 36.65p before duty

94 - 48.35 = 45.65p before duty

Those prices are the fuel duty per litre - the amount the government charges.

It is the same for both petrol and diesel.
    Thanks for all the fish

Diesel cars are only a little more expensive to buy (roughly 2%) but fuel is 20-25% cheaper! here in denmark

Personally I love diesel cars because they are almost always much stronger than comparable petrol cars until 5000rpm.

For example a comparison between a 2005 BMW 335d and the 2007 335i shows that:
    -----------Diesel HP / Petrol HP
    @ 1800rpm 125 hp / 75 hp
    @ 2600rpm 180 hp / 140 hp
    @ 3400rpm 220 hp / 195 hp
    @ 4200rpm 230 hp / 225 hp

Note that the diesel is not only being compared to a petrol of the same size (normally diesels are larger) but that the petrol it is being compared to has a twin turbo system designed to maximise low down HP. Note also that the peak HP of the diesel is only 235hp and the petrol maxes out at 302hp.

So that is one of the reasons I like diesels... You can stomp others at the stop light without sounding like a drag car and attracting cops.
    Last edited by hightower99; 11-21-2006 at 03:08 AM.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

85 - 48.35 = 36.65p before duty

94 - 48.35 = 45.65p before duty

Those prices are the fuel duty per litre - the amount the government charges.

It is the same for both petrol and diesel.
    so government puts more duty on diesels then...
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    Diesel cars are only a little more expensive to buy (roughly 2%) but fuel is 20-25% cheaper! here in denmark

Personally I love diesel cars because they are almost always much stronger than comparable petrol cars until 5000rpm.

For example a comparison between a 2005 BMW 335d and the 2007 335i shows that:
    -----------Diesel HP / Petrol HP
    @ 1800rpm 125 hp / 75 hp
    @ 2600rpm 180 hp / 140 hp
    @ 3400rpm 220 hp / 195 hp
    @ 4200rpm 230 hp / 225 hp

Note that the diesel is not only being compared to a petrol of the same size (normally diesels are larger) but that the petrol it is being compared to has a twin turbo system designed to maximise low down HP. Note also that the peak HP of the diesel is only 235hp and the petrol maxes out at 302hp.

So that is one of the reasons I like diesels... You can stomp others at the stop light without sounding like a drag car and attracting cops.
    hightower, you are a tower of knowledge.

good argument but the 335i is a low pressure system, the 535d has a high boost a boost similar to that given the duratec 3.0 v6 put in the noble m15 and that produces 425hp

BUT we are comparing apples and oranges. I love some cars and im not going to change my mind just cos it costs x pence lower to fuel or because i can drive it at idle.
    autozine.org

hightower, you are a tower of knowledge.

good argument but the 335i is a low pressure system, the 535d has a high boost a boost similar to that given the duratec 3.0 v6 put in the noble m15 and that produces 425hp

BUT we are comparing apples and oranges. I love some cars and im not going to change my mind just cos it costs x pence lower to fuel or because i can drive it at idle.

OK well about that:

The low pressure system used on the 335i is designed to max out low down HP. It has no lag at all (it makes 2 psi boost at idle) so the turbo improves the petrol engines performance from idle. Now the high pressure system you talked about doesn't even come in until 3300-3500rpm and therefor actually decreases the performance of the engine below that point meaning it would make the diesel look even better.

Diesels are great and I personally would take a good one over a luke warm petrol...

and by the way the diesel I qwas talking about is the 335d not the 535d not that it makes much difference

also the nobel M15 makes 455hp and has a max boost pressure of around 20psi whereas the 335i only uses 12psi
    Last edited by hightower99; 11-21-2006 at 04:45 AM.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

There's one thing I'd like to point out. In my opinion it's wrong making general claims. It all depends on which diesel and petrol engines are we talking about. The 286bhp 3-litre twin turbo diesel BMW straight six might be great but I doubt you can tell me the same about the 75bhp 2-litre normally aspirated diesel mounted in the Golf. And the same can be said comparing the 170bhp 1.4-litre twincharged inline four from Volkswagen and the 54bhp 1.1-litre normally aspirated inline four from Fiat.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    There's one thing I'd like to point out. In my opinion it's wrong making general claims. It all depends on which diesel and petrol engines are we talking about. The 286bhp 3-litre twin turbo diesel BMW straight six might be great but I doubt you can tell me the same about the 75bhp 2-litre normally aspirated diesel mounted in the Golf. And the same can be said comparing the 170bhp 1.4-litre twincharged inline four from Volkswagen and the 54bhp 1.1-litre normally aspirated inline four from Fiat.
    My general claim is that diesels are stronger than petrols up to 4-5000rpm

and they are you will be hard pressed to find a situation where the comparable diesel is weaker than the pertrol at low rpm

so government puts more duty on diesels then...

This is the amount of fuel duty applied by the government, as of the 1st September 2006:

Check the link that I posted - oddly enough I didn't include it for my own amusement.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information