Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda Mazdaspeed 6

Mazda Mazdaspeed 6

I realized that there were no Mazdaspeed 6 pictures... so voila!

Mazda revealed the MazdaSpeed 6 Concept to the world at the 2002 Paris Motor Show as a sophisticated high-performance sedan that promised the ultimate Zoom-Zoom sedan experience, both in terms of driving pleasure and design appreciation. The staff at Mazda devoted the past two years to further polishing the design and mission-critical technologies to fulfill the promise.

At the 2004 Paris Auto Show, Mazda officially unveiled the production model and confirmed its plans to begin building vehicles early in 2005. The global launch of the highest performing, best handling sedan Mazda has ever built will bring the same level of ultimate Mazda6 performance to all major markets around the world, even though the product name may vary in respective regions. Presented in Paris as the Mazda 6 MPS, plans call for the new model to use that name in European markets, Australia and New Zealand, while adopting Mazdaspeed6 in North America and Mazdaspeed Atenza in Japan.

The Mazda6, on which the MazdaSpeed 6 is based, was released in 2002 as the first of the exciting new-generation vehicles, and as a car that embodies the Zoom-Zoom brand promise of stylish, insightful and spirited dynamic performance. The Mazda6 has since garnered over 80 global automotive awards while on the road to resounding success in the market and with users.

Mazda's own innovative technologies, including the newly developed direct-injection turbocharged 2.3-liter engine with maximum output of an estimated 274 hp and all-new active torque split all-wheel-drive system, make the MazdaSpeed 6 the company's highest performance sedan and push the Mazda brand DNA element of spirited dynamic performance to its ultimate level.

The contours of the Mazda6 are further accentuated to create a look that conveys at a glance the tangible pleasure of the vehicle's dynamic performance and solid stability. Exterior highlights include an aerodynamic front bumper and lower grille section, a five-point upper grille section that also serves as the air intake for the engine's intercooler, the flared side skirts, the custom 18-inch aluminum wheels fitted with 215/45R18 tires, the aerodynamic rear bumper with built-in diffuser for the integrated exhaust tailpipe and a highly effective yet compact rear lip spoiler. Moist Silver is a new color added for the MazdaSpeed 6. Colors also offered in select markets around the world include Snowflake White Pearl, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Velocity Red Mica, Radiant Ebony Mica, and Black Mica.

Starting with a cabin design that comfortably seats four adults, the design goal of the MazdaSpeed 6 was to realize an environment more conducive to communication between the driver and passengers, and with a look and feel of greater quality. Interior highlights include an instrument panel design to be sporty, yet not overstated, a speedometer rated to 280 km/h, custom six-speed manual transmission shift knob designed by performing repeated road testing, and semi-bucket front seats that vastly improve side support.

The primary development theme for the MazdaSpeed 6 was to realize the ultimate sedan by ideally balancing high performance and driving pleasure. This was the aim behind the adoption of the newly developed direct-injection turbocharged 2.3-liter engine with its outstanding acceleration yet easy controllability throughout its power range and the all-new Active Torque Split All-Wheel Drive system. Additionally, particular attention was paid to optimizing the stiffness of body assemblies, suspension characteristics and brake performance to match the car's high power. These and other efforts result in what is the highest-performance sedan ever developed and built by Mazda. The direct-injection turbocharged 2.3-liter engine was newly developed to realize the unrivaled performance of high output, ample low-end to mid-range torque with linear torque characteristics for a sophisticated ride, as well as the greater environmental-friendliness of improved fuel economy and reduced exhaust emissions. Special effort was made in the tuning of the exhaust to optimize torque output and present an appealing exhaust tone that heightens the driving experience. The shape and size of the inner diameter of the exhaust pipes and the internal structure of the silencer produces a throaty, sporty sound when accelerating from a standing start or from a low speed, and a pleasing linear curve at high engine speeds. The exhaust system also adopts a tailpipe with attached diffuser that enhances the sporty appearance. An electronic throttle and an electronically controlled turbo boost system deliver a superior balance between refined, linear acceleration and lively, aggressive response with the relatively high-torque from low speeds produced by the direct-injection engine.

A newly developed six-speed manual transmission provides the driver the pleasure of full control over the high power of the MazdaSpeed 6, and also contributes to a quiet ride as well as fuel economy. A compact new three-shaft design made it possible to keep the overall length the same as for the five-speed manual transmission. The transmission uses a wide gear ratio setting that can fully exploit the high power of the direct-injection turbocharged engine. Sixth gear also serves as an overdrive gear that contributes to a quieter ride and better fuel economy.

The MazdaSpeed 6 is equipped with Mazda's new active torque split, all-wheel drive system. Based on the road-proven system of the Mazda6 available in some global markets, but featuring more aggressive transfer of torque to the rear axle on all road surfaces in accordance with driving conditions, the new all-wheel-drive system achieves a fine balance between sporty control over the car that makes it particularly fun to drive and handling stability on snowy or wet surfaces or under other challenging road conditions. Power and torque are faithfully and thoroughly transferred to the road surface for maximum efficiency and performance. A new rear differential with greater torque capacity is employed by the system to deliver a high level of reliability.

An inherently rigid four-door body design was chosen in concert with the introduction of the high-power engine to successfully embody the concept to the ultimate sedan when it comes to handling, a fundamental element of driving pleasure. Individual body assemblies were also refined to deliver optimized body rigidity. Overall, torsional rigidity has been improved by approximately 50 percent over the Mazda6.

Along with adding rigidity to parts of the body, the suspension and brakes were tuned to optimize performance and support the high power of the MazdaSpeed 6. This produces superior handling stability with consistently accurate, linear response and a luxurious feeling ride, whether the road is paved, rough, or slippery. The brakes demonstrate outstanding stopping power and stability, which contributes to an even faster, safer driving experience. Changes to the front double-wishbone suspension include increased damping force for the dampers, a 25 percent higher spring rate for the coil springs, and an increase from 23mm to 24mm in the diameter of the stabilizer bar. The performance characteristics of the lower arm bushings have also been optimized. In addition, the changes to the perimeter frame that result in greater torsional rigidity help improve the support stiffness of the suspension. The multi-link rear suspension employs mono-tube dampers that feature superior response with smooth transitions between extension and compression, and that improve damping characteristics. The spring rate of the rear coils have been increased by 37 percent, the stabilizer diameter increased from 21mm to 23mm, and the rear cross-member reinforced to support the higher power output of the MazdaSpeed 6. Both the front and rear are fitted with large-diameter 17-inch brake discs to support the high power output by delivering stable braking performance. The brakes work in synergy with the four-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS), brake assist, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and active torque split, all-wheel-drive system to exhibit an outstanding level of active safety. The MazdaSpeed 6 is not only the fastest, best handling, best braking sedan Mazda has ever built, but the level of sophistication and refinement combined with a surpassing balance between ultimately spirited performance and everyday practicality makes it more than worthy of its role as the flagship model in the Mazda6 series.

Writeup and Pictures Credits: Mazda Motors
    Attached Images Attached Images

4.... and the last ones.

Here's the link.

http://www.mazda6club.com/coverstory.php

Please move this to the hideout. If it is a repost, delete it please.

The Mazda 6 is also missing if other people want to get pictures of it.

You could have put this in the request section of Matt's high res hideout...

Good car. With easy mods you can put it into the 10's.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

The reason why I didn't post it there was because I didn't know it was requested.

I think it's a nice car, but others think of it as a lumbering beast. So what is it exactly? Motortrend put it up against the Legacy, so it's no slouch. I don't get why you guys give it a bad rep.

I like it, myself. There was one parked outside where I work the other day, the first I've seen in person, and it was sharp. The regular 6 is a solid car for the money. When the price gets to 30K or better for the Speed6 you get a bit more critical and look more closely at the competition. It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews, but I don't remember anything in particular from those that I've read other than they were generally positive.

I like Mazdas and really wanted to like the Mazdaspeed6 as well. For some reason the 6 didn't feel right to me. It was mostly the clutch engagement, as it's impossible to engage smoothly. With more than 270 Hp you can't have a clutch that slips too much but when the clutch pedal is effectively reduced to an on/off switch it takes away from the joy of driving a manual.

The suspension is nicely sorted, as in all Mazdas. The interior is nice enough other than the seats are sportier than they need be. Overall, you get the feeling that it's a family sedan trying too hard to be sporty, too sporty. An auto-shifted drivetrain like the one in the new CX-7 would make the mazdaspeed6 a much better package.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I thought it was manual only?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    I like Mazdas and really wanted to like the Mazdaspeed6 as well. For some reason the 6 didn't feel right to me. It was mostly the clutch engagement, as it's impossible to engage smoothly. With more than 270 Hp you can't have a clutch that slips too much but when the clutch pedal is effectively reduced to an on/off switch it takes away from the joy of driving a manual.
    True about the clutch issue but then again you need to remember you're talking about a 24k car. The short shifter feels a lot better than my Mazda6s.

Best bang for the money in this range IMHO
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed

Good car. With easy mods you can put it into the 10's.
    If by easy mods you mean +- 400-500 extra hp, then yeah.

It's a nice car, love its power & looks.... I wish I could afford one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    I thought it was manual only?
    It is offer manual only. I was saying it should also be offer with auto. Not like its an STI/EVO fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by byronleehk
    True about the clutch issue but then again you need to remember you're talking about a 24k car. The short shifter feels a lot better than my Mazda6s.

Best bang for the money in this range IMHO
    It could have just been the one I test drove and maybe with time the clutch engagement will improve, just I didn't feel the 6 doubles well as EVO competition. Though nowhere as quick the 6s seems better sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    If you lease it, it's affordable. Just you may want to buy some extra miles ahead of time...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    If by easy mods you mean +- 400-500 extra hp, then yeah.

Maybe you're right, but I was able to put it in the tens in my lowly gt4 game with no trouble at all at a very affordable cost of around 8000 dollars.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed
    Maybe you're right, but I was able to put it in the tens in my lowly gt4 game with no trouble at all at a very affordable cost of around 8000 dollars.
    Ha ha ha ha GT4 ≠ Real life
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information