View Poll Results: Which 1 will win a street drag race?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Supra

3 23.08%
  • Skyline GT-R

3 23.08%
  • NSX

5 38.46%
  • 3000GT

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Supra vs Skyline GT-R vs 3000GT vs NSX

Supra vs Skyline GT-R vs 3000GT vs NSX

I know this sounds kinda stupid but which 1 will win a street drag race? its obvious if they are all stock the 3000GT will end up coming last. I dont want to compare them but I just want to satisfy my curiousity. Besides I love all the cars above and do not hate them now.

Why don't you just look? It takes the rest of us just as long to look it up as it might take you... Anyway, I checked my Huge Performance Listings, and here's the fastest I found for each:

1997 Acura NSX-T - 13.3
    1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - 13.5
    1993 Toyota Supra Turbo - 13.4
    1999 Nissan Skyline GT-R - 13.7

So, the NSX wins on the straight according to statistics, but you can bet you'd never be able to tell the difference if you were driving. If you ask me, drag racing times are totally overrated.

For my relatively educated view, the NSX is the all-around winner by default, being better balanced, more reliable than most, and the glamour of a mid engined layout. Not to mention the most important quality in a sports car, the NSX weighs far less than any of the others.

Oops, I wasn't supposed to compare. Oh darn. I guess I just couldn't resist pointing out how irrelevent drag racing statistics are in such a close match.

I just couldn't resist pointing out how irrelevent drag racing statistics are in such a close match
    not to mention most street races take place for a reletivly short distance probly average less than an 1/8th mile where the times would be different, the skyline and GTO would probly rank better, but overall you wouldnt tell the difference between the 4 or even get these numbers as they are most likely by professional drivers who have been drag racing for a while where as you probly dont have the slightest clue as to how to launch a awd car such as the skyline or GT-R or even a rwd car such as the supra or NSX.
    but as for between the cars as a:
    "weekend car" i think the NSX is the pick.
    "drag car" the supra and skyline both have great potential
    but the 3000GT is a great reletivly practical cruising sports car but just a bit to heavy for my tastes, a good beginers car

its funny you say not to compare them but this poll by definition is a comparison
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

(I can't believe I'm replying to this stupid question yet again....)

Egg nog is almost right, but the Skyline GTR has run much better times. In High Performance Imports mag they clocked a 13.02 in and R32, and a 13.14 in a '34. More recent tests, in comparison to a C5 'vette, saw a 13.3.

Wheels magazine ran a quarter in one that was stock except for an exhaust, and it ran a 12.7, and was bouncing off the 180 kph speed limiter near the end. No other car in this field can do that, except the NSX-R, which is much faster than all of these cars.

Why are we answering this again? GTR vs Supra vs blah blah....lets compare something new next time, like the Levin GT-Z to the new Mini Cooper S. Please?

ummmm egg nog any idea about the 94 3000GT mate? anyway how would a skyline r33 gt-r put up to a 94 3000GT and supra? i think sumone said the r32 gt-r is faster than the r33 and r34 gt-r.

Here (according to my list):

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - 14.2
    1994 Toyota Supra Turbo - 13.7

It doesn't mention the R33. However, the R32 GT-R is the fastest Skyline. People seem to have the misconception that newer models are always faster. However: The R32 has 280hp just like the other GT-Rs, and it is lighter, so it has a better power--to-weight ratio.

Once again, I stress minimal weight as the most important factor in a sports car.

But still, it doesn't really matter. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any of the cars you are comparing if you were to drive them. 1/4 mile times should NOT be what you focus on when you are looking for a car.

Power and torque are actually mathematical functions on the Cartesian plane. In case people here don't know, peak power (hp) equals peak torque divided by the revs....oh I can't be stuffed, but it really is simple. Basically, if peak torque increases, and the point at which peak torque is achieved also increases, peak power must also increase, provided the revs at which peak power is achieved also remain equal, or increase.

The R34 Skyline produces a peak torque of 392 nm, compared to the r32, with 353 nm. At similar rev points. Hence the r34 gtr actually produces over 280 ps. It is an impossibility, according to physics, for it not to. It's power to weight is virtually identical to the r32s. It is still marginally slower (really only about .05 secs over the 1/4), due to the power delivery and a couple of other very small factors. Egg nog is still right, lower weight is far more desirable, even if power to weight remains equal, and yes, the Supra is quicker than the 3000gt.

ummm, nildo... that first paragrph made no sense any way i looked at it so ill clarify. peak torque is usually at peak VE, power is based off this figure and the rpm it is attained in this formula (torque)rpm/5252=horsepower. it is not the rpm at which peak torque and peak power are attained have nothing to with eachother in any set manner but are based on the setup, diplacement, type, etc. of the engine.
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

oops, got carried away trying to be too smart again! Pretty much I was trying to say that if peak torque is greater at the same revs, all other things being equal then peak power MUST be higher, and in the GTR's case, it is measurably so, with dyno results proving the gap.

Smarty pants....

if you took all the cars and tuned them out to drag specs, then the GTR would win. Take any random street tune, and the 3000GT might clench it. As far as turning, i imagine the NSX might be victorious. All-around, the Supra is nice, so i have no clue which to vote for.

GTR would come first
    then the Supra
    tight race against the NSX and the 3000gt

Ive Got Best Motoring Vids .. the GT-R in a straight line is quicker than the Supra.

the 3000gt is fairly old but my brother has 1 .. initial take off is good but I reckon it is slower than the GT-R. I have a R33 GT-R.

NSX is good .. but because it is VTEC .. it takes a while to get that High Reving VTEC engine going.

My 2 cents worth...
    Last edited by beefy; 01-19-2004 at 12:31 AM.

[QUOTE=Nildo]Wheels magazine ran a quarter in one that was stock except for an exhaust, and it ran a 12.7, and was bouncing off the 180 kph speed limiter near the end. No other car in this field can do that, except the NSX-R, which is much faster than all of these cars.QUOTE]

wheels tested an N1 skyline though which was running a blueprinted motor and bigger turbos and intercoolers, as well as the aftermarket exhaust
    I am the Stig

they are all great cars and as everyone else mentioned it would be a toss up between them all. as someone mentioned weight should be something to take into consideration, but then again there are people out there that have superb driving abilities, and if you know/drive the car well you would certainly have better times. the stealth rt/tt is an identical car from the vr4 and there have been members on the 3si board that have ran 13.05 +/- bone stock. also, the gto-mr (basically the vr4 without all the electronic gadgets that we dont really need) runs a 12.8 stock.

i also have a few supra buddies that can pull very low 13's. a buddy of mine owns an nsx, but he has headers, exhaust and intake. i wish i had a buddy that had a skyline! wouldnt it be nice if we could all own one of each?

My question is, who races a stock car? (excluding pros) If someone has a supra, they will most likely have modded it out the wazoo before racing, where as the NSX would most likely not have been tweeked a lot.
    I'm only 15, so i dont have a car, though I would like to get an RX8 (though I would have to mod it like crazy before I would want to drive it) and I would also like to put a Wankel on a bike. (240 hp=200+mph)

For what its worth.

Low weight + Mid Engine + Balance + VTEC + Great Driver = NSX as the clear winner. All of these cars are great, I believe the NSX is the superior sportscar. It would probably win in the straight line, and certainly round the corners.

It may be off the subject, but I still hold to the idea that dollar for dollar performance there are no stock production cars superior to a Corvette Z06.
    '94 Intrepid ES (3.3L) :D

Greatness: repeated higher level performances over a long period of time.

Thread Information