Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The All American Computer Build of 2010

Just buy an XPS. Much easier.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    That's weird, I built a system for a friend of mine based on those specs + decent video card and 750GB HDD, cost $1,600 CDN last July. $2k USD seems a bit off?

I'm gonna try to retrieve the invoice tomorrow because right now I'm not sober at all.

EDIT: found the system specs in my e-mails
    When I specced out the mobo, ram, processor, and VGA on your i7 920 recommendation I was looking at about $1000 already

Add the HDD, windows7, case, power supply, drives, et al and I'm over $1500, hold on i'll try to make a list here
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    The same pretty much still applies, but I got to thinking about buying a SSD instead of the conventional HDD. I would hold off on this until the last part of the build a few months down the road but even then I think they're too expensive. My best bet I think would be to buy a case that has SSD install bays and just buy one a year later when it's half the price.
    I just built a HTPC and put an 40GB Intel X-25V:
    Newegg.com - Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

It is the slowest harddrive Intel makes but also a compromise on price (albeit $130 for 40GB is still steep). It comes with an adapter to fit a 3.5" bay. I thought it was worth the money as the system is very response. It boots quickly and programs load quickly, even web pages seem to load faster. It is small so if you want to put a lot of applications on it that could be a problem. But for general day to day computing I really like it.

If I could afford it I would really like to get my hands on of the X-25E, but if you are on a budget the X-25V might be an option.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Re: The All American Computer Build of 2010

Thanks for the info alastor, I was thinking of going with an 80 gb SSD but like you said I'll have to maintain my file storage as to not overload the disk. I guess I'll just go with a conventional HDD for now and upgrade to SSD in the future.

In other news newegg had a power supply for a nice price on sale. 650w for $80, couldn't go wrong. S80 certified and power saver. Good reviews throughout... I'm happy.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I changed my mind about building this over a couple of months. I realized with newegg that if something goes on sale down the road I'm only going to save about $10. Then I saw their preferred account credit system and liked that I could pay it off over 12 months with no interest (orders over $500). Signed up, got approved for 8k probably because they know I'm a boss and bit the bullet. This is the system, should all ship by Tuesday or Wednesday. Didn't buy peripherals yet but that's not a big deal. I can plug the system into my tv and surround sound for now. I have keyboards and mice collecting dust so all that will be worried about later. If I build this without a hitch and it starts up right away I'll be f'n amazed.

The build:

Case
    Power Supply
    Motherboard
    Video Card Note: Purchased 2 of these to use simultaneously in Crossfire
    CPU
    RAM
    Hard Drive Nervous about this
    DVD/CD-RW drive
    Blu-ray ROM

Total price after shipping and taxes came to roughly $1350. It's about 25% over my original budget but I'm still happy. Basically guiding my build through the i5 series processors versus i7 could have saved me $500 but I decided on going higher end and future proofing myself. I'm hoping 650W will be enough to power everything. It's going to be pretty close but it should be sufficient.

Questions/comments/concerns welcome. Hopefully I'll make my first post from the rig on Friday.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 03-07-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

650W should cover you, I've a similar graphics setup (4870x2, it's basically two 4870s on one board) and they recommend a 650W for that. I went higher though, cos I had four hard drives in there until one blew up. Speaking of the hard drives, take note of the warning in the comments about the firmware. It'll be printed on the drive what the firmware is, if it's one of the dodgy ones Seagate has a very painless little program that'll patch it. I did it for one of mine (after its pair died on me...) and it's been rock solid. One thing about ATi cards is that they sometimes run a little hot on the default settings, but the control panel for them allows you to play with fan speeds. Once you have it all set up, lemmie know if you have any issues with them and I'll send some screenshots your way for how to fiddle with it.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    650W should cover you, I've a similar graphics setup (4870x2, it's basically two 4870s on one board) and they recommend a 650W for that. I went higher though, cos I had four hard drives in there until one blew up. Speaking of the hard drives, take note of the warning in the comments about the firmware. It'll be printed on the drive what the firmware is, if it's one of the dodgy ones Seagate has a very painless little program that'll patch it. I did it for one of mine (after its pair died on me...) and it's been rock solid. One thing about ATi cards is that they sometimes run a little hot on the default settings, but the control panel for them allows you to play with fan speeds. Once you have it all set up, lemmie know if you have any issues with them and I'll send some screenshots your way for how to fiddle with it.
    Yeah, I read the reviews about the HDD. From what I can tell the drives that Seagate has been sending out now are already fixed with the new firmware. If not, I'll give them a call and straighten everything out.

When everything is set up I'll send you a pm. Cheers
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

What games are you looking to play on this Rocke?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What games are you looking to play on this Rocke?
    Not sure. I don't play computer games at the moment but that's because I use my laptop 95% of the time and it's about to die.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

The computer is now about 80% of the way there. I just need to head over to the local MicroCenter and buy 2 SATA cables, an ATI CrossFire bridge, and maybe a wireless keyboard/mouse if I'm feeling lucky. Will boot the system tonight if all goes well. Everything else is connected except for my DVD drive and HDD (hence the 2 sata cables, they were bare drives and didn't come with them, wish I knew that before hand but whatever). The Vid cards are in the PCI-E slots and connected to the power supply but I'm gonna crossfire them first before I get everything going.

Crossing fingers.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 03-11-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Back to games, I dunno if you dig strategy, but Napoleon is out and my buddy has it and says it's pretty cool. Also, I feel FPS games are better with a mouse and keyboard so MW2 and BFBC2 are options. Then of course there are all the racing sims. Check your PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    The computer is now about 80% of the way there. I just need to head over to the local MicroCenter and buy 2 SATA cables, an ATI CrossFire bridge, and maybe a wireless keyboard/mouse if I'm feeling lucky. Will boot the system tonight if all goes well. Everything else is connected except for my DVD drive and HDD (hence the 2 sata cables, they were bare drives and didn't come with them, wish I knew that before hand but whatever). The Vid cards are in the PCI-E slots and connected to the power supply but I'm gonna crossfire them first before I get everything going.

Crossing fingers.
    Odd, usually motherboards come with sata cables and whatnot. At least, the last few I bought did.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento

Odd, usually motherboards come with sata cables and whatnot. At least, the last few I bought did.
    I'm a jackass I didn't see the two data cables under a plastic bag.

Computer booted fine though I win
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

if its of any interest, heres the basic spec of the system i'm currently building to be finished by september rocke:

Antec 900
    Asus P6TD Deluxe
    Intel i7 920
    6GB Corsair TwinX Dominator GT, DDR3 2000
    1TB Maxtor STM31000340AS DiamondMax 22, SATA 3Gb/s
    ATI 5870
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 7.1
    Corsair CMPSU-1000HXUK

hope your new system rewards you with the performance its costed you! its never a smooth road in the setup, but its always nice to be able to say you have a brand new pc for a while until it becomes obsolete very soon after

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    if its of any interest, heres the basic spec of the system i'm currently building to be finished by september rocke:

Antec 900
    Asus P6TD Deluxe
    Intel i7 920
    6GB Corsair TwinX Dominator GT, DDR3 2000
    1TB Maxtor STM31000340AS DiamondMax 22, SATA 3Gb/s
    ATI 5870
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 7.1
    Corsair CMPSU-1000HXUK

hope your new system rewards you with the performance its costed you! its never a smooth road in the setup, but its always nice to be able to say you have a brand new pc for a while until it becomes obsolete very soon after
    Looks like your setup is pretty similar. Everything booted perfectly first time and is now running at full potential. Funnily enough the only hiccup I had was the windows installation due to a bug with the student .iso download that doesn't accept a product key on clean install. 30 min later with a Microsoft tech and all is kosher.

I still have to install a bunch of programs/games so I can't comment on it's uberness but so far so good.

I was honestly shocked that I built the system perfect on the first try. Thing is, anyone with a bit of computer/tech experience can pull it off. A little Internet research is your friend though.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information