Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Corrado 1988-1995

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    WTF ?
    Where did you get that info from ?
    1991 G60 - we had two in the company.
    Each was "driven enthusastically" one racked up 80,000 miles and the other over 100,000.
    NOT ONE REBUILD !
    And reminder , these were DRIVEN cars.
    In fact the longest time in a garage was a front wing repair after understeering due to excessive entry speed.
    Were these cars properly serviced ??

BTW, as well as the Corrado thre were 2 imported original Golf G60s one of which was used as recce car. AGAIN no major problems with the engine, BUT again they was properly serviced and treated to the best oil. ( The rally cars were all Mobil 1, so there was plenty of barrels of it around )

See http://www.carsurvey.org/review_16389.html for confirmation !

I DO think there are soem major issues with performacne cars outside of Europe and MY opinion is down to cheap service materials and bad servicing
    It just seems every G60 'rado owner I've ever met has had to rebuild/replace his charger at least once. I think a lot of it really comes down to having non-enthusiasts owning them and not knowing that they need to be looked after.
    The same can actually be said for VW's 1.8T's. I've seen many oil sludge problems on the turbo motors. Most of it is owner neglect.

Taken from the Vortex's Corrado forum...
    Here's my opinion of each version.... I own one of each, so I think I am in a position to give an unbiased reply.
    G60 - The elite of the VW pocket rockets - Takes over where the Scirocco left off. Lighter than a VR6, the G60 also combines a front suspension design (less caster than VR6) that promotes faster response in the turns. Other suspension differences include stiffer springs than the Vr6, and a slighlt lower stance at stock ride height. The G60 engine is a better design than the VR6, with the engine itself being more relliable. The supercharger is the weak point in the G60 design, prone to failure if abused/neglected, with varying reports of maximum mileage from a factory unit (70K-150K miles, with 70K closer to the norm). When driving a g60, the engine noise is very noticeable. G60 cars are also cheaper to modify, with performance parts bordering on reasonable $$ amounts.
    Regardless of them breaking, I want one so bad.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    The same can actually be said for VW's 1.8T's. I've seen many oil sludge problems on the turbo motors. Most of it is owner neglect.
    a lot of THOSE issues are cheap oils !
    The drawback of having cheap service shops who undercut each other and people going for lowest cost option is one of the EASIEST places to cut costs is by buying ceahp oil and brake fluid and water corrosion inhibitors !
    The compressor uses the same oil as the engine, so it's REAL easy to screw it up
    Regardless of them breaking, I want one so bad.
    yep, I'd liek to add oen to the stable.
    Still think it si the ultimate sleeper
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    a lot of THOSE issues are cheap oils !
    The drawback of having cheap service shops who undercut each other and people going for lowest cost option is one of the EASIEST places to cut costs is by buying ceahp oil and brake fluid and water corrosion inhibitors !
    The compressor uses the same oil as the engine, so it's REAL easy to screw it up
    Sad part is, most of the 1.8T's I've seen sludged are dealer serviced cars. The 20VT manual says in big bold letters to use a full synthetic and they're putting their cheap-o dino oil in. Then the car comes in 3000 miles over its scheduled service, and it just goes downhill from there. This reminds me, I need to get my oil done...
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

A friend of mine had a G60, another a VR6. The one with the G60 had racked up almost 200k on it before he decided to sell it, the Vr6 racked up 150k on it, both with very minimal maintenance. Could it be that just a handful are crap?
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Took these today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

He looks a bit angry that you're taking his picture.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    He looks a bit angry that you're taking his picture.
    Here is the thing: I was in the back seat of SUV with tinted windows, suddenly window opens and long lens sticks out, who would be happy?
    Last edited by smxi; 11-07-2005 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    Here is thing: I was in the back seat of SUV with tinted windows, suddenly window opens and long lens sticks out, who would be happy?
    Oooh, he thought you were the papparazzi!
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Yup....

"Oh my God! I'm a non-entity in a Corrado! Stop taking my picture!"

Volkswagen Corrado #6
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool pictures guys. My dad's company had one, we got a ride in it ages back and it was very cool, fast and comfy. The colour was dark dark dark blue, so most of the time it looked black, but when the sun shone right on it, looked awesome. Also back then I was amazed by the mechanised spoiler that came up above a certain speed.... I was an easily pleased child!
    Porsche!

The son of the people where we store our cars, has just finished rebuilding one from the ground up. Literally everything has been taken off of it. I will try and lure him into a photoshoot

For now you will have to do with a picture off a one-off (?) cabriolet version built in 1993. In the background is the 25th million Golf as built in April or May.
    Last edited by drakkie; 01-08-2008 at 02:19 AM.

That's really cool! Wonder why it was never sold? I know the Corrado wasn't as popular as the previous Sciroccos... but... wow!

A Corrado VR6 is on my list of 'Must Owns'
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    That's really cool! Wonder why it was never sold? I know the Corrado wasn't as popular as the previous Sciroccos... but... wow!
    Unfortunately the museum was so messy ! Many cars missed information or were parked very messy. Some of the rare protoypes even had big parking dents and stuff.. Also maintenance wasnt a real priority there. I wish we would know as I'd love to know also...

Thread Information