Thread: 1/2 OT: A jet vs. any car

1/2 OT: A jet vs. any car

I've searched the boards but I couldn't find anything to this topic.

Well it's not really a _car_ comparison but I think it's very interesting how a military jet fighter (let's say a F-14 Tomcat - I don't know if this is the latest "normal" jet) would compare to a supercar.

Does anyone know how fast such a machine accelerates? With or without afterburner? And how much bhp do these things have?

If I was in a F-14 and a friend in a CCR/Zonda/Enzo/Dauer/F2004. Who would win the 0-60, 0-100, the quarter mile?

IIRC there actually was a race between Schumacher in a F2004 and a jet, wasn't it? I've been also told there was a Top Gear epsiode with this kind of dual?

Man, so many questions I hope there are as many answers :-)

PS: I found a picture from the Schumacher/eurofighter race.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As shown by the race between the F2004 and the Eurofighter, many cars can initially pull away from jets on full afterburner, but all eventually lose in the long run. Over long distances, cars have no hope, but it's just the first couple of metres where the jets lose out (because of their incredible weight which is about 15 tonnes). Also, jets' power isn't transferred to the wheels, rather the jet engines which inherently have slower acceleration. Eventually though, the sheer power of the jet (on afterburner) will totally blow away any car because modern jets can provide around 30000lbs of thrust (I'm not exactly sure how much that is in hp), which means that some can maintain vertical flight while still accelerating! Also, the F-14 is VERY old. My nickname fa22_raptor (Lockheed Martin F/A-22 Raptor) is actually the USAF's latest fighter which without afterburners would still outaccelerate any given car over a mile such is modern jet technology.

There was a test between a jet and an F50 done, google it to find more. And there was a test done of a Lingenfelter tuned Corvette that raced a f14 blue angle in the 1/4 mile, the vette won that one. It was also completely street legal, street approved tires, and passed emissions.
    Heres a quick video of that vette.
    http://www.motortrend.com/av/112_03_...tte/index.html

Thread Information