Page 502 of 536 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504512 ... LastLast
Results 7,516 to 7,530 of 8037

Thread: Show off your latest purchases here!

Got my car tinted...and got a copy of NFS Shift 2, and a Motorola Xoom Wi-fi for my mom as her birthday gift...

2011 is a costly year thus far....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

All things going well I just got Regi to pick up a Nikon D90 with a few goodies for me.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
    Is all that black gubbins on it a giant heatsink?? Some nice stuff though. I've been considering a self build but can't really justify it..
    My current computer is a 2005 Apple PowerBook 12". - It's lasted well and is great for everyday stuff, but it's 6 years old this year and outdated in terms of computing power.

I need a computer at home that's speedy enough for work purposes (hence the i7 rather than an i5) but I'm also planning to use it "after hours" as a HTPC & gaming machine.

The cover over the board supposedly channels the air across the board in a more advantageous way than it would normally flow. The small panel in the centre is a space to fit another fan to help it along. If it's not helping and/or it interferes with your other cooling stuff, you can just detach that entire cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Not heatsink, but guiding airflow, limiting heat dissipation from cards plugged and (imho) catering to the vanity of the purchaser who wants the expensive things to "look cool"
    Lol, I got it cheap! But I must admit, controlling "heat soak" from the GPUs attracted me to it. - I don't want a loud system, so anything that means I can turn the fan speed down a little will help. I'm planning to build this inside a Full ATX HTPC case (Antec Fusion Remote Max or similar), so cooling will be important as it's going to have to be happy sitting on a shelf in the middle of a TV bench.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Made an advanced payment on my new second hand first car. Car ownership is a good thing as long as everything runs smoothly.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Motorola Xoom Wi-fi for my mom as her birthday gift...
    What made you choose the Xoom over the iPad 2? The Android OS? Just wondering.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

This explains it all Motorola Xoom versus the iPad 2 --- the Xoom is a clear winner - Computerworld Blogs from the author's perspective.

BUT, the Apple has the appstore and that's a LOT of add-ons that make it attractive.

But the lack of Flash is a major issue for lots of web pages and I'd rather see "open market" solutions than Apple telling users they dont need it.

The whole flash thing reminds me of Apples famous 1984 ad against IBM.
    Been surprised somebody's not done the obvious updated version
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-08-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Not really a purchase, but it is included with my tuition.

I got Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac for free. It's such an improvement over Office 2008, especially in terms of Word. Much more hard buttons and it looks a lot like Office 2003, my favorite iteration of Office.

A much needed improvement in my opinion.

I had been using Open Office for a while before that as a stopgap measure, a pretty terrible program in my opinion for Macs at least. Just didn't feel finished.

+

Group buy = $55 discount.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

$726 for the first needed maintenance work on the speed 6. Rear axel seals were leaking. Matra, have you ever had to do this work on your rx-8? They have the same read end.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    This explains it all Motorola Xoom versus the iPad 2 --- the Xoom is a clear winner - Computerworld Blogs from the author's perspective.

BUT, the Apple has the appstore and that's a LOT of add-ons that make it attractive.

But the lack of Flash is a major issue for lots of web pages and I'd rather see "open market" solutions than Apple telling users they dont need it.

The whole flash thing reminds me of Apples famous 1984 ad against IBM.
    Been surprised somebody's not done the obvious updated version
    Personally I don't know why I'd want flash while browsing on a tablet, but I can accept that people might. I use noscript on my PCs anyway, so it's rare that flash is even used for me.

I think someone did do an update to that add Matra, but I can't remember who or why.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Personally I don't know why I'd want flash while browsing on a tablet, but I can accept that people might. I use noscript on my PCs anyway, so it's rare that flash is even used for me.

I think someone did do an update to that add Matra, but I can't remember who or why.
    NoScript FTW!

Want a premium subscription on UCP for no ads? What ads?

In all seriousness, if I had the dispensable income I would subscribe.

ads are definately good to block most of the time ... but so many "interesting" things are developed/delivered in Flash that to have the arrogance to say "no" and "the new web will be better and not use flash" is amazing.

Amazing that folks buy in to it so blindly

The TECHNICAL reasons are understandable. Main one raised has been the mouseover conflict with gestures used for scroll etc but I see worse is that Flash always runs so a device cant use it's smarts to shut down processing when "not in use" and thus battery life suffers. Apple's claims to long battery life DEPEND on not having Flash and so it's a con and abuse on two fronts It's obvious that a solution that was customer centric would GIVE THE OPTION to the user. Thus when at a site with Flash with information the user cars about they can run it, at others they can block it. Thus putting battery power question in to the customres hands. BUT, that is a freedom Apple deny. ( Dare I suggest because THEN the permium for "Apple battery life" disappears instantly )

An example of Apple using it's marketing to deny choice and differentiate itself and selling a huge defect as a "benefit" Over the years I've moved my admiration for Apple from the designers to the BS publicists !!
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-09-2011 at 01:17 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Personally, flash is present on a great number of websites I visit, wouldn't do without.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

A new car.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Which one?

And why?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information