Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Call Of Duty 4

playing right now, ftw

If you're wondering why the server is down for PS3 COD4 players, here it is:

Hey Everyone --

As promised yesterday, we wanted to give you a full update on the status of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare multiplayer servers for the PS3 and let you know exactly what's been happening, why it's been happening and what's being done on the server-side to address it. To do this; Steve Pearce, Chief Technology Officer of Activision Inc., gives us a break-down of the situation and the upcoming server maintenance to address it.

Firstly, on behalf of Activision and DemonWare, I’d like to apologize for the difficulties you’ve experienced while playing the PlayStation 3 version of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare during the holiday season.

The fact is that we’ve experienced an unprecedented load on the DemonWare backend servers, which has steadily increased since late December beyond our expectations. In spite of all of our planning and precautions, the extreme load revealed several issues. These issues triggered unscheduled downtime this past month. As we encountered issues, we deployed additional hardware and/or optimized the server infrastructure to keep the service up and running. However, while the servers were active for the vast majority of the time, many players experienced significant wait times repeatedly when joining games.

To overcome this issue, we’ve implemented a fix today, which should dramatically improve the time it takes to join an online game. And, in order to make additional improvements we are briefly taking the servers offline tomorrow, Wednesday January 9th at 4:00 a.m. PST

As a rule, we try to avoid scheduled downtime whenever possible. However, at this juncture we will need 1-2 hours to update a number of server infrastructure components. We apologize for any short-term inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your ongoing support and patience.

Our expectation is that the server load will continue to increase as system bottlenecks are removed. So in the coming days, we will continue to monitor our system and make further optimizations and improvements as necessary. We will be deploying additional hardware to improve our database throughput and load handling. In addition to the added hardware, we are further optimizing components of the underlying server software to improve performance. We hope to be able to hot deploy these updates while the system is live. In the event that the system requires further scheduled downtime, we will post a message both here and in-game via the “Message of the Day” to keep everyone informed.

Rest assured that we are taking every possible action to insure that your Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare online PS3 experience is smooth and trouble free. We apologize for the trouble this has caused and ask for your understanding and cooperation as we get things sorted over the coming days.

Thanks,

Steve Pearce
    CTO, Activision
    Talk about customer service! EA-LA and Valve should learn a thing or two from these guys.
    Last edited by broken; 01-09-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by broken View Post
    Talk about customer service! EA-LA and Valve should learn a thing or two from these guys.
    Apologizing for server downtime on such a huge game/platform isn't incredible customer service.

First impressions of multiplayer.

- You can get flanked way, way, WAY to easily. and I am tempted to hate the game just because of that.
    - Their isnt a single good cover, no flank, good view, long area to snipe from on any level.
    - Claymores are king.
    - The levels are filled with misc crap (cars, helicopters, wreckage) at every place their seems to be room for it. While it add's nice detail to the game, it only serves to block your view of others players, requiring you to chase them down and knife them instead of shooting them. A technique used quite alot in modern warfare...
    - Knifing is the ultimate form of halarity, especially when you have 17 kills and 15 were from knifing.
    - How does a scope decrease accuracy of a gun? It has NOTHING to do with how the bullet interacts with the air once it leaves the barrel. I would understand that the silencer decreases range but how is the accuracy unaffected?
    - Campaign sniper+silencer+scope = way to much fun. Why not include in multiplayer?

Those are some of my first impressions of the game. Campaign is fun and closer to realism than the multiplayer. It seems to me that for multiplayer, the designers worked much to hard to make the levels to easy to get flank kills. It tones down how good the player is and gives poor players a chance to take down the good players just by being in the right place at the right time. Positioning is important in combat but how often are you going to see a room that has 4 enterences and 3 of them are from holes blown though the wall?

- One last thing, spawn points are horrible. 9-10 times they spawn within 10 feet of you and almost always behind you. Their should be a red dot on the mini-map when someone spawns.
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 01-10-2008 at 02:18 PM.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

- You can get flanked way, way, WAY to easily. and I am tempted to hate the game just because of that.
    You and/or your team suck.

- Their isnt a single good cover, no flank, good view, long area to snipe from on any level.
    Well theres a few good sniper spots and.....

- The levels are filled with misc crap (cars, helicopters, wreckage) at every place their seems to be room for it.
    Theres your cover

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    You and/or your team suck.
    I play free-for-all.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

played COD4 on my girlfriends brothers 360 last night. loved it! although it was in standard def on a small-ish TV I cant wait to play it on my ps3 and hdtv when i get it this sunday. Gonna be so awesome. Got my bluetooth headset ready and everything

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    I play free-for-all.
    Its you vs like 7 other guys, and your complaining about getting flanked?

I play free-for-all.

You must also realise that camping is fail, And you need to be aware of everything going on around you.

Free for all is fine, but to win it you need to constantly be on the attack, and only defend a spot if you requre it to get a certian angle for easy kills.

Always be ready to retreat and then counter attack as they rush forward (most likely reloading after the first confrontation)

Timing is everything, teamwork is more than everything, And if your good enough, (such as many members from here are) you should be finding yourself getting many more kills than those that camp. hell, I'm generally running around with the M21 sniper rifle, always shifting positions and running in to the hotspots to backup/steal kills in team/free-for-all
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

you're not sneaky enough, especially for free-for-all. silencer + UAV jammer might help. whiteballz knows what i mean
    that's to cut down on camping, if you ever played COD2 it can ruin some of the maps sometimes. it's all about balance
    canuck covered the cover issue
    - How does a scope decrease accuracy of a gun? It has NOTHING to do with how the bullet interacts with the air once it leaves the barrel. I would understand that the silencer decreases range but how is the accuracy unaffected?
    the scope decreases accuracy because your range is now longer
    you still have the same accuracy rating as before, but because it's now effective to a further range that same accuracy counts for less, if you know what i mean. just divide by zero (wait don't)
    silencer should decrease bullet strength and recoil, but increase stability ad accuracy, so no idea what's going on with that.
    - Campaign sniper+silencer+scope = way to much fun. Why not include in multiplayer?
    possibly too good a combo? anyway rumour has it you can eventually, or they'll add it in or something
    Positioning is important in combat but how often are you going to see a room that has 4 enterences and 3 of them are from holes blown though the wall?
    hell, if i had a tank or an RPG while FIBUA
    - One last thing, spawn points are horrible. 9-10 times they spawn within 10 feet of you and almost always behind you. Their should be a red dot on the mini-map when someone spawns.
    ..fixed on last update i thought?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I don't really like to camp, but I've found one spot that's pretty effective for 2-3 quick kills on that map with the courtyard. There's a spot behind a stack of boxes next to the one stairwell that you can hide behind and pop people from.

Other than that I run and gun all bitches.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    you're not sneaky enough, especially for free-for-all. silencer + UAV jammer might help. whiteballz knows what i mean

that's to cut down on camping, if you ever played COD2 it can ruin some of the maps sometimes. it's all about balance
    canuck covered the cover issue

the scope decreases accuracy because your range is now longer
    you still have the same accuracy rating as before, but because it's now effective to a further range that same accuracy counts for less, if you know what i mean. just divide by zero (wait don't)
    silencer should decrease bullet strength and recoil, but increase stability ad accuracy, so no idea what's going on with that.

possibly too good a combo? anyway rumour has it you can eventually, or they'll add it in or something

hell, if i had a tank or an RPG while FIBUA

..fixed on last update i thought?

Silencer and UAV jammer are tight, especially on search and destroy, which is the fastest way to get points. The spawn problem was fixed slightly but it still sucks major ass on headquarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    I don't really like to camp, but I've found one spot that's pretty effective for 2-3 quick kills on that map with the courtyard. There's a spot behind a stack of boxes next to the one stairwell that you can hide behind and pop people from.

Other than that I run and gun all bitches.
    Run and gun armed with M203 grenade launchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
    Knifing is the ultimate form of halarity, especially when you have 17 kills and 15 were from knifing.
    Negative. RPG to the back of the head from 4ft is the ultimate form of hilarity.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post

Run and gun armed with M203 grenade launchers.

Noobtube ftl

Only place I use the M203 anymore is on Shipment, and that's because of all the queerbaits who like to use it there.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Only place I use the M203 anymore is on Shipment, and that's because of all the queerbaits who like to use it there.
    M249 Spray and pray for me there...I hate that map.....

I saw a guy with 36:1 there, I wonder how he did that...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information