Thread: car engines

car engines

Does anyone know a good site online that explains all of the technical aspects of a car engine and how it works? Also, I was wondering especially about crate engines and how they are different from normal engines?

thanks in advance

www.howstuffworks.com search engine.

crate engines are usually built engines with whatever the company specifies that they put in, its like off the shelf engines that you can order.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/tech_index.htm

this was one i got from a post a few months back.. good theory stuff
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Crate engines don't pass emissions standards (so no use on public roads); are usually more highly tuned (less smooth/comfortable); might break more easily due to this higher state of tune, or at least require more maintenance (I'm assuming on this one).

Actually, on second thought, the use on public roads probably depends on what the year of the car it is going in is. This would vary state to state.

wow gregvl52 that was one of the most incorrect answers ive ever seen on here. most crate motors do pass emissions, and maybe a few just wouldnt pass in a state with ultra strict emissions laws like california. for the most part tho crate motors are meant as a replacement for a blown motor. not all crate motors are even high performance, and about them being unreliable thats completley wrong too. almost any high performance crate motor is going to be fairly reliable depending on which state of tune your buying. sure the high horse drag motors might be less dependable than your honda but even they arent too bad. their made with nice strong parts from the factory to be reliable...in fact most of them come with warrenties..some real good warrenties too. right now i believe edelbrock is offering an unlimited milage 3 year(?) warranty on their crate motors.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

The autozine link is a good one. They are missing some information I would like to see but overall it's not bad. Their smoothness section overlooks the benefits of additional cylinders and has no graphs illustrating the HP added vs removed from the flywheel during a revolution. Basically, in a 4 cylinder motor the crank is sometimes adding power to the flywheel, other times it's pulling power from it. This is easy to see on a single cylinder motor (about 180 degrees of power stroke for 720 degrees of rotation). It's harder to see the overlapping effects with multiple cylinders but it does tell you something about smoothness and how large a flywheel you will need.

Thread Information