View Poll Results: Engine you'd rather in your car.

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • M5's V10

69 60.00%
  • LS7 V8 from Corvette Z06

46 40.00%
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvette Z06 vs. BMW M5...engine comparo

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy
    I have to agree with coventry on this one, I mean the Bimmer has won enough awards to prove its merit
    Super!

But what does that mean really? Thats it's more technologically advanced? All that crap does is adds weight and makes things more expensive. Plus its more gadgets to screw up someday.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    Yet the Vette gets a better mpg rating than the Bimmer.
    The fuel consumption figures published (for the car, not the engine) are derived by "recreating" a set program of driving conditions - various periods at various speeds.

The speed of a car is determined by the tractive force at the wheels being sufficient to equal the amount of resistance on the car due to aerodynamic drag, rolling resistance to the tyres, and, on an incline, gravity.

The tractive force delivered to the wheels is a function of gearing, and therefore it is perfectly possible that a car fitted with an efficient engine but less-than-optimum gearing could return a worse fuel consumption figure than a car fitted with a more inefficient engine, but more favourable gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    ignorance is bliss?
    Oh, what a surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by -What-
    Ask the Legend "What". He has all the info.
    The "legend" may become just that if he isn't careful. As well as "all the info", he has a prior record.
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 11-30-2006 at 07:48 PM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 300ZX
    S85 (M5), undoubtly!!...less weight...
    Well...

The Corvette's LS7 is lighter.
    LS7: 458 lbs. or 209 kgs.

M5: 529 lbs. or 240 kgs.

Slicks where did you find the S85B50 weight? I looked everywhere

I like the M5's engine. No idea why though.

Really, BMW should come up with a new mid-engined sports car. How heavy is the M6 anyway? Personally, the 6 series is a good looker, but looks slightly inflated. It gives the impression of being fat.

Call it the M1.

O rly? Theoretically your wrong, in this case anyway

Slicks where did you find the S85B50 weight? I looked everywhere
    There are quite a few links out there:
    http://www.vrchlabi.cz/e30/ruzne/enginenumber/

Quote Originally Posted by -What-
    Ok let me ask the "Legend". Does Raw Evil ring a bell? He did this same exact test on FF. Hes banned now though so don't worry about it

Quote Originally Posted by CoventrySucks
    The fuel consumption figures published (for the car, not the engine) are derived by "recreating" a set program of driving conditions - various periods at various speeds.

The speed of a car is determined by the tractive force at the wheels being sufficient to equal the amount of resistance on the car due to aerodynamic drag, rolling resistance to the tyres, and, on an incline, gravity.

The tractive force delivered to the wheels is a function of gearing, and therefore it is perfectly possible that a car fitted with an efficient engine but less-than-optimum gearing could return a worse fuel consumption figure than a car fitted with a more inefficient engine, but more favourable gearing.
    I see your point. In fact if you put both engines in the same vehicle then the V10 would probably have a better mph than the LS7.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

LS7 is the obvious answer. It's more simple, it's smaller, it's lighter, it's cheaper to buy, it's cheaper to modify, and it allows for greater efficiency.

I'm not going to say anything about fanboys or whatnot, but it's pretty damn clear which engine is superior.

I'd say the LS7 too, for the reasons given. But, the BMW's hydroformed dual-walled headers are so much sexier...

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    The Bimmer engine is better! Don't let pesky facts get in the way, I'm a republican!

hard to argue with that ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by gregvl52
    I'd say the LS7 too, for the reasons given. But, the BMW's hydroformed dual-walled headers are so much sexier...
    Definitely outweighed by the fact that you can grab LG motorsports headers for the LS7 and have an extra 40hp for cheaper than stock BMW parts

I see your point. In fact if you put both engines in the same vehicle then the V10 would probably have a better mph than the LS7.
    Not at all, it's the other way around. The LS7's torque allows it to cruise around at extremely low rpms, and thus get great fuel economy. If you put the LS7 in the M5 you'd get a more efficient car, even when compared to the V10 with the "power button" turned off.

although the BMW won awards this year, the LS7 is based on engines that have won lemans and many others races for years so they have proven their worth.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

M5, partially based in established biases, then again baises usually have some solid foundation. It's not like GM hasn't tried its hand at high-tech, the Northstar is evidence that GM wanted something some sophisticated than SBC 350 derivatives powering its elite cars. The SBC just wouldn't suit the quite luxury of a Cadillac. The CTS-V gets the SBC but it has a ruffian image. There's the main reason I prefer the M5 engine, it's sophisticated power. The M5 powerplant would be out of place in a pickup truck but it would be right at home mounted midships in a McLaren F1 (II). The LS7 wouldn't be that out of place in a truck and would mostly likely find its way into a Kit-car, not necessarily a bad thing, just it's not supercar material or in other words, world-class.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

M5 V10. The LS7, being american, i assume will probably break down more,so im kinda biased
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

Yes! My vote tipped it 10-9 for BMW. I trust the automotive journalists that praise BMWs engines and also, GM sucks ass.

Thread Information