Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell Me Something!!!

Tell Me Something!!!

Okay tell me something that is wrong with having a High compression enigne with a turbo charger.

Please don't start a new thread for every question you have.
    You made two very similar threads yesterday and you could well have asked this question in one of them.

Well since you want to be that way, then here is my list of questions?
    1: How to increase your RPM?
    2: How to increase your compression ratio?
    3: What is wrong with having high compression and turbo charging?
    4: Is it easy to change the air/fuel ratio?
    And if there are any more questions I have then I will post them here.

Three of the major problems with running bothe high compression and any kind of forced induction are that...

1. The total amount of fuel/air that the engine must compress is greater and that leads to dramatically increased stress on engine parts, which can lead to breakages.

2. That same increase in volume of gas, combined with the increase in heat can lead to premature detonation, which can lead to lots more breakages.

3. It doesn't really gain you much because the compressor can only generate so much pressure, and if the cylinder pressures get too high, the cylinder won't fill with any more mixture anyway. A lower compression will allow more mixture to enter the cylinder and that will generate more power than a limited mixture at high compression.

Hope that helps. You're other questions are a little more complicated because some of them depend on what car you're talking about as the limiting factors for these issues are different for different cars.

Lets say that I have a Lamborghini Diablo VT 95 and I want to turbo charge it with to turbos. Can I do the following to it:
    1: increase the RPM
    2: decrease the compression ratio
    3: change the air/fuel ratio
    4: change settings in the ECU

Quote Originally Posted by Kalifrajasexi View Post
    Lets say that I have a Lamborghini Diablo VT 95 and I want to turbo charge it with to turbos. Can I do the following to it:
    Um... sure, you can do all those things. All it really takes in money... lots and lots of money.

oh dude, a twin turbo Lambo is going to be horrendously unreliable and you won't be able to run a large ammount of boost due to the compression. I've never seen anyone decrease compression ratio in 3000GTs (it's where I get all my info).

1. There is aftermarket support for most TT cars which provides a high rev kit but it only becomes useful when you have turbos with HUGE power potential (like 900+ hp i'd assume for a Lambo...) due to turbos spooling later. Even with sequential turbos you're still gonna experience a huge amount of lag if you're going for that kind of power (which i assume you are since you're ready to spend all this money). Also you should know that if you drop the compression ratio, past a certain rpm your turbos will only blow hot air and it makes a high rev kit useless because you can't hold boost all the way to the red line anyways. You're better off leaving the stock compression ratio and running lower boost. Provided you strengthen the engine internals it will be more reliable and cheaper and the power gains will still be big.

2. Like i've said, all my advice comes from working with 3000GTs and Stealths and what I know of other cars of the same setup but I've never seen anyone decrease the compression ratio (possibly because you can just get the TT engine and drop it in). Normally they run low boost (like 5psi) but it's enough to told till red line, it's relatively reliable, and with the high compression ratio it provides a good amount of power.

3. Can be done for sure, it's necessary once you go past a certain performance threshold.

4. ECU can be tuned to accomodate for turbos (and it will be necessary if you go TT), but I'd assume very few people know how to mess with it on a Lambo. I'd only let someone that's done this kind of work before on an exotic mess with the car (Think companies like Hennessey and the work they on to Vipers).

Honestly, best of luck to you because you'd have a fantastic car. Just don't assume the car's going to be reliable. Lambo is pretty rough even stock but what you're getting ready to do is a pretty large step which will most likely make the car very very sensitive. Overheating will be a HUGE issue, and so will breaking parts. Most likely you'd need to strengthen drivetrain, engine internals, as well as fuel pump and cooling and many other things. A stronger transmission might be necessary as well but i'm not sure how much the stock tranny can handle.

Like I said, take what I say with a grain of salt because i don't know much about the engine you're dealing with. All of this i know from the issues guys have in going from NA to TT in 90s Japanese sports cars. Hope i helped a bit.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

Quote Originally Posted by Type17 View Post
    I've never seen anyone decrease compression ratio in 3000GTs (it's where I get all my info).
    OT: Is that your 3000GT in your avitar, and do you have any bigger pics of it? It looks badass, but it's really small.

Quote Originally Posted by bruxell View Post
    OT: Is that your 3000GT in your avitar, and do you have any bigger pics of it? It looks badass, but it's really small.
    Oh no, it's not mine . I want to buy one with that body style though in a few years. That's the last model they made. Only 287 in North America.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

Quote Originally Posted by Type17 View Post
    Oh no, it's not mine . I want to buy one with that body style though in a few years. That's the last model they made. Only 287 in North America.
    Do you have a larger picture? It doesn't looks stock, and from the avitar it also looks really cool.

Lamborghini and ferrari engines are reliable. The only reason they seem to be unrelaible is because stupid people let there car set in garages for years and it dry rots. All Lamborghini and Ferrari engines are reliable. But thanks for your info and I appreciate the info you gave me. I was just wondering what I could do to A Lambo Diablo.
    Last edited by Kalifrajasexi; 07-31-2008 at 01:51 PM.

What are talking about, Lamborghini and ferrari engines are reliable. the only reason they seem to be unrelaible is because they set in garages for years and dry rot. All Lamborghini and Ferrari engines are reliable. But thanks for your info and I appreciate the info you gave me.
    That is certainly not the only reason that Lambo and Ferrari engines are considered unreliable. They're highly tuned and made of expensive and often fragile components, and for years they had terrible electrics. Add in the fact that Lamborghini's V12 was never designed to accept boost and you're headed down a particularly risky road.

I understand.

I think I would change the wiring.

So far as the overheating I plan on adding a third custom
    radiator in the front of the car.

Thread Information