Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Laptop for under $1,000?

Well, I don't care about weight or dimensions...just something that can run fast, save a few things, and play LFS or NFS MW!

dont go for sony they rip you off just for the branding even though thte x black monitirs are really seet.

Why not consider Rock or Acer both very good laptops.

So definatly toshiba or HP they both mae really good lappies and the new range from HP are amazing if youwait until ater Xmas you might get some better dealls as theyll be clering out i love ater Xmas sales
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek-i
    Well, I don't care about weight or dimensions...just something that can run fast, save a few things, and play LFS or NFS MW!
    then why the hell are you getting a laptop?!

$1000 will buy you something cheap, not something powerful. If you want something powerful then upgrade your "amazing duron"

A few things.

1. $1000 isn't going to get you a laptop that can play games, at the very best perhaps on the lowest settings with a resolution reminiscent of the DOS days.

2. Setting clauses such as, "no Dells", "no Macs" without reasoning or justification is ridiculous and close-minded.

3. Your first problem in terms of the Dell battery issue, is listening to a representative from a competing company. I highly doubt Sony would begin praising a rival during their sales pitch. And in agreeance with matek, Sonys are overpriced.

I know I may come off as being an ass, but you asked for our advice, yet numerous recommendations have been shot down for some supposed anti-brand-in-question reasoning.

Just my two cents.

Edit: Misread, didn't realize Sony made Dell's batteries. Regardless I still view it as biased Dell slander.
    Last edited by zeppelin; 12-08-2006 at 01:23 PM.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Anything as long as it's not HP or its new lackey Compaq. I have never seen more unreliable POS's from anybody.

Dell's are good pieces in every way but one: Dell had a very high HDD failure rate in their laptops because they were placed right where you rest your wrists and if you applied a lot of pressure it would go straight to the hard drive. This according to my Dad, who was the quality control chief at IBM's and subsequently Hitachi's hard drive divisions, who made the drives Dell used in their laptops, and actually figured out this problem. I will say, however, that Dell may have rectified the design by now.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I got a Dell for $500 that I can play need for speed: most wanted on just fine. It plays most high graphic games with little problem.

p.s. I got this from a friend who is a reseller for a great price. The computer probably usually costs around 800 - 1000, so its still in your range.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Funnily enough, the exploding batteries that have already been recalled aren't on the shelves anymore. And they're in more than just Dells. That said, my Dell has a Toshiba battery I think. So it's not like they all use them, anyway.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Guys c'mon, be nice.

Alright, here's a HP laptop with an AMD Turion X2 dual core, comes with 1Gb of DDR2 memory, GeForce 6150, and 120Gb of HDD space, as you wish. There's a wireless remote for Windows Media Center, and it's also got a built-in 1.3MP webcam + microphone, and the whole thing's pretty reasonably sized.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834147290

Tell your dad that he won't find goods Sony and Toshiba ones for the same price, as least not as good as this one. It's a little over $1000 CND but anything less and you'll see a significant performance difference.

There's an existing PC thread and you know it, I wouldn't blame if you were new enough when you made this thread.
    Last edited by NuclearCrap; 12-09-2006 at 12:57 AM.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Thread Information