Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 380 dead, Mitsu ZT to lead the charge

380 dead, Mitsu ZT to lead the charge

Quote Originally Posted by drive.com.au
    Mitsubishi exits the local large-car market in March but the Concept ZT from the 2007 Tokyo motor show is set to become the Japanese brand's imported rival for the Falcon and Commodore. JOSHUA DOWLING reports.

Mitsubishi Concept ZT

This is the car that could replace the Mitsubishi 380 sedan, which is due to go out of production when the Adelaide factory closes at the end of next month.
    This concept car, unveiled at last year's Tokyo motor show, was all but lost amid all the other glitz and glamour. But it has renewed significance now that the demise of the 380 is imminent.
    Mitsubishi says the Concept ZT was a styling exercise but closer inspection revealed it was nearer to the finished product than the company was letting on.
    The 380 replacement is still about two years away from arriving in showrooms but the concept provides some telling insights.
    In every dimension it is larger than the current model Mitsubishi sedan and also has a host of advanced technology features, such as a pedestrian-friendly front end, self-parking technology and all-round views from inside thanks to tiny cameras.

The cameras are most likely to be replaced by conventional mirrors but the pedestrian-friendly bonnet and self-parking technology are strong possibilities for the real car.
    The concept car also previewed what Mitsubishi calls its "most advanced, clean-burn" diesel engine.
    If this vehicle is to replace the 380 sedan, it's likely Mitsubishi Australia will continue with a V6 petrol engine but will supplement the line-up with a diesel option. The addition of a diesel engine is significant. Even at the 11th hour Mitsubishi Australia was examining whether it was economically viable to put a four-cylinder petrol engine in the 380 sedan in a bid to appeal to fuel-conscious buyers. A diesel would broaden the appeal of the new car.

If this car comes to Australia to replace the 380 it will probably take on the model's international name, the Galant. Sadly, one thing is certain: the new model won't be built locally and Mitsubishi is yet to announce whether it will be built in Japan or the United States, the largest market for the car.
    Speaking to the motoring media in Melbourne this week, the day after he announced the Adelaide factory closure and the loss of 930 jobs, Mitsubishi Australia chief executive Rob McEniry said it was too early to say when the 380's replacement would be on sale in Australia. However, he expected Mitsubishi eventually would return to the large car class - as an importer.

McEniry also said it was Australia's, not Japan's, decision to close the local factory.

"Mitsubishi Japan put in $1.5 billion of their money over 10 years, that's $150 million a year, to keep the factory in Australia," he said. "They fought very hard but we recognised it was no longer viable."

thoughts?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

It looks alright, carries the new design themes already on the Lancer. Until this is production ready, i wouldve thought they'd be able to take some current US Galant imports to fill the gap. Thats probably what they shouldve done in the first place rather than chopping and changing the Galant into the 380.
    I am the Stig

Two years is a long time to be completely out of a market segment, but on the plus side there'll be less negative memories floating about when they re-enter it. Is the current Galant in RHD production sufficiently to meet demand here at the right price?

I hadnt thought of available RHD production. AFAIK, other than US Galant production the only other place theyre assembled is Taiwan.
    I am the Stig

It would be a sales disaster for a Vehicle which shared origins with the 380 (other than a Mitsubishi badge) to be imported. Cue Instant sales failure - and certainly not worth the money to properly engineer it.

2 years is a long time to wait, but if the ZT is worthwhile (and properly set up for Australia) it could be alright
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Looks tough, is it RWD, AWD, FWD? any more details on the actual car or pics?
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post

thoughts?
    Not a good title choice, I go to UCP and see '380 dead' and think "shit what has clutch done now".

Not much??.

These new front remind me of what the Orion will look like.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
    Not a good title choice, I go to UCP and see '380 dead' and think "shit what has clutch done now".
    roflmao, gold.

Many people here driven a 380? What was it like, and did it deserve to fail like it seemingly has?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
    i lol'ed
    i was just trying to reverse park a humvee
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

yeh got a smile from me.

It is a great car for the price. You cant beat it for value and its an excellent family car but i think FWD stigma and magna hangover is mostly what killed it.
    The Datto will rage again...

Thats what it seemed like. Honest enough. Should've done well really.

I'm seeing definite 7 series cues in the glass box, top half of the car here. On the window lines..

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    It looks alright, carries the new design themes already on the Lancer. Until this is production ready, i wouldve thought they'd be able to take some current US Galant imports to fill the gap. Thats probably what they shouldve done in the first place rather than chopping and changing the Galant into the 380.
    What's the difference between a Galant and the 380?

I find the new version to be kinda bland, but I'd expect that because it needs to be a general sedan for the general population.

I thought the 380 was australian designed and built?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

nah Australian built maybe, but only some changes made to make it AUDM
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information