Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Chip-in-a-key.

Ford Chip-in-a-key.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Gaudin
    October 6, 2008 (Computerworld) Ford Motor Co. today unveiled a new car key that holds a computer chip that can help parents keep tabs and a restraining virtual hand on their teen drivers.

The automaker said the new MyKey feature is slated to first become standard equipment in the 2010 Focus Coupe. The chip limits top speed to 80 miles per hour and sounds speed-alert chimes at 45, 55 and 65 mph.
    The chip also enables parents to limit the volume of the radio to 44% of total volume and won't allow the traction control system to be deactivated.

Ford unveiled the new chip just months after embedding radio frequency identification technology in its pickup trucks and vans to tag and track contractor tools, construction equipment and materials.

The RFID technology became an option in Ford F-150 trucks, F-Series Super Duty trucks and E-Series vans last month.

The new key also offers a more persistent seat-belt reminder than typical Ford automobiles, which ring a six-second chime once per minute for five minutes if a seat belt is not buckled. The MyKey chime will continue at regular intervals, and the audio system is muted until the seat belt is fastened.

"MyKey can help promote safer driving, particularly among teens, by encouraging seat belt use, limiting speed and reducing distractions," said Susan Cischke, a Ford group vice president, in a statement.
    The company did not disclose what kind of chip has been installed in the key.

Ford reported that it sponsored a Harris Interactive survey, in which 50% of parents of teenage drivers said they would be more willing to let their teens use a family car if it had the new technology. However, on the other side of the coin, 67% of teenagers said they wouldn't want to use MyKey, though that number dropped to 36% if it meant they wouldn't be allowed to drive otherwise.

The new technology also is slated to become a standard feature in other Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models, but the company did not specify which ones or how soon it would happen.
    Discuss.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Big brother is watching!
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Do not want. Unless I'm the one programming it to piss someone off.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Teenagers and ppl without kids will think it's stupid. Ppl with teenagers will be interested. It's that simple. It's completely controlled by the car owner, so it's not one of those "Big Brother is watching" kind of things like with the GT-R's black box.

Personally, I won't really be needing something like this......since my kid WON'T be getting a brand new car to drive from me. IMO everyone's first car should be a heap that CAN'T go faster than 45 mph and has a 25 watt sound system.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

I like the idea of it.. as long as nothing is transmitted any and it's not admissable in court.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I get worried by these things...technology is invading way too much. People say well as long as you're not doing anything wrong you've got nothing to fear but soon it may be as long as you don't think any wrong thoughts..etc. 1984 is soon upon us!

I thinks its for parents who let there teens drive the 'family car' before they get there own, not necessarily for the teens car. If it was the teens car, they'd figure out how to change it anyway.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

yaa, i was watchin this on the news bout an hour ago,
    seems like a fair plan. I have this odd feeling that it MAY enable lower rates for young drivers who drive such cars.

Good job ford! Excelent idea, crap car.
    I think "Koenigsegg" is Sweedish for "OH NO, MY HEADS JUST EXPLODED!"

If you can still see the cops,
    you're not going fast enough.

As someone in this demographic group, hell, I'd be happy with a car, as long as it runs. 80 m.p.h. is plenty, even for autocross-ing, I'd estimate.
    Last edited by kingofthering; 10-06-2008 at 07:41 PM.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

oh god no! this is why i won't buy a Ford and it will be the only manufacturer to have this available on their vehicles. I learned to drive on a 2003 Infiniti G35 and that was my first car. I didn't put a single scratch on it. i do belive people who can't drive and are too crazy should have an old beater. I knew a lot about cars which helped me to understand what would happen if i were dumb. i had my close calls and dangerous dumb moments but who doesn't?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    oh god no! this is why i won't buy a Ford and it will be the only manufacturer to have this available on their vehicles. I learned to drive on a 2003 Infiniti G35 and that was my first car. I didn't put a single scratch on it. i do belive people who can't drive and are too crazy should have an old beater. I knew a lot about cars which helped me to understand what would happen if i were dumb. i had my close calls and dangerous dumb moments but who doesn't?
    Basically what you said.

It's all about common sense. And anyway at 80mph you could still be killed.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Those who reckon they didn't need it would be supported by their parents as they trust them - no ? So no mkey for them.

However, this is a stupid and doomed technology.
    Let's see..... an electronic device that can be programmed and transmits a signal to limit the car being given to teenagers who regularly hack web, mobile phones and computers. Going to be an excellent earner for the geek kid in school who offers to reprogram everyone's keys
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Those who reckon they didn't need it would be supported by their parents as they trust them - no ? So no mkey for them.

However, this is a stupid and doomed technology.
    Let's see..... an electronic device that can be programmed and transmits a signal to limit the car being given to teenagers who regularly hack web, mobile phones and computers. Going to be an excellent earner for the geek kid in school who offers to reprogram everyone's keys
    Id be stuffed there I cant even get multi quote going.

But the idea has some merit and its like drinking ages itll make sure the honest ones dont and be a minor obsticle for those who will.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

I can totally see this working two ways.

1) kid swaps keys over with Mum's keys. I doubt they look physically different so Mum will never know.

2) Key will be hacked, as Matra said, and fixed.

By the way, the More persistent seatbelt reminder is made of lulz.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

don't know...if I think my (yet to come) son could drink too much or drive reckless, I wouldn't give no damn key at all.
    and as Ferrer stated, you can die at very low speeds, so that's not the way to save some one. education and common sense should be offered as standard on people's brain, no matter how old they are. that's what we need.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information