Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY Multi-touch

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Oh yes, I didn't read properly, didn't see the -20%. At 400 € there's no better deals, at least not at Dell.

And I only really recommend Dells and MacBooks for laptops I've got friends with Toshibas, Acers and Sonys, and they work well, I've only ever heard horror stories with HP, and even worse with Compaq. Acers are not fantastic thought, but good.

My suggestion to torrent Win7 still stands though, I've had a Compaq Presario with XP in the past and it came with so much crap I spent an entire afternoon uninstalling stuff and cleaning the registry after a clean reinstall, very infuriating. I formatted my hard disk and reinstalled Windows to wipe out all the crap I had (viruses, spywares), and what do I get? Eleventy billion useless games and embedded ads. That very day I knew I was done with OEM OSes for ever.

Just turn off Aero in Win7 and you'll be flying.
    I know what you mean, everywhere I know someone there laptops will be clogged up with crap that they don't even know how it got there. Theres a bunch of side-products just killing you OS from the start on most sold laptops.

I'd only ever buy a Dell or a Sony Vaio, The others the advertise ons talls in shops are just so rubbish. Dell are just awesome in the way they provide their products compared to other competitors (Its the Macbook for PC), also I would always advise a clean install on any laptop - Even My dads Dell after 2-3 years are become pretty damn clogged up he just started using it straight from the packaging, and now its going a bit slow.

I'm using the Widnows 7 RC1 at the moment on a 5 year old computer with the specs of:
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz
    Total amount of system memory 1.50 GB RAM
    System type 32-bit operating system
    Display adapter type ATI RADEON 9600 Series
    Total available graphics memory 383 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
    Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
    Secondary monitor resolution 1280x1024
    Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    Network Adapter ASUS USB Wireless Network Adapter

I'm using this computer to run W7 RC1 with every function and feature in this OS turned on, and its running perfectly on this old piece of sh*t.

Advise W7 to anyone and everyone.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

I've had a perfect experience with an Asus too, but it was a bit of expected costing, when new, 2.100 €
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I love it when discussions on the realtive "quality" of laptops comes up.
    They all come off of three company production lines in the far east !
    THe manufacturer signs up to the spec they want and the plastic bits to make it look like theres. All the important bits are common !
    THe laptop industry moves so fast that last months lemon replacement model coudl be this months top recommendation
    THe biggest problem is the sales model some companies have adopted where lots of junk is "installed" ready to be "turned on" and most non-tech owners think they shodul say yes to all of it.
    Strip 'em, turn them off, uninstall if they've been put on.
    I recommend friends to actually answer NO to all the offers to install whatever when they first get a machine and then AFTER they've used it for a week to review what they might want to actually say yes to !!

Which?, the UK consumer organisation, ranked the UK's most reliable laptops 6mo ago....

Top of the reliability list is Sony and Toshiba with 93 per cent of Which? members surveyed saying their laptop had not needed repair. Fujitsu-Siemens got 91 per cent and Apple and Dell scored 87 per cent. Next were Acer and HP with 84 per cent.

Probably more related to where they were sold from PC World == sucks

The other important point for some is support. Non-tech need a good support over best technologu/reliability tbh. Or a friend ... the reason Iv'e a Dell on my workbench in bits and get lots of pings on messenger/skype looking for instructions. Just did a remote Adobe cleanup on friends machine this morning So for me "support" is a don't care. The MSDN support environment is the best and then if the s/w don't fix it send it back as h'w fault !!

PS: Another "new" item to put on the fire .... See Apple have said Snow Leopard will NOT be available for PowerPC based Apples. I give it about 4 hours before a war over support comes up with PC geeks claiming you can run XP on a 10 y/o Pentium AND can run Windows 3.1 on a quad core
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 06-10-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    PS: Another "new" item to put on the fire .... See Apple have said Snow Leopard will NOT be available for PowerPC based Apples. I give it about 4 hours before a war over support comes up with PC geeks claiming you can run XP on a 10 y/o Pentium AND can run Windows 3.1 on a quad core
    Actually... someone managed to make XP run on a 7MHz Intel 8086 And I can run Win 3.1 on a Quad-Core... hi to you VM Granted it will only use one core but it will definitely run on a quad-core

</playing with words>

Seriously now, dropping support for PowerPC-based Macs has to be one of the stupidest decision I've ever heard in the computer industry, I mean, Apple made the switch to Intel processors in mid-2006, it's only been 3 years! Say MS drop support for the Pentium 4 with Windows 7, there would be riots in Redmond

Apple can treat their users like they want apparently.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Apple can treat their users like they want apparently.
    from an owner, 75% of them are douchebags.
    Windows's are usually even worse since they didn't chose it, it was already there, installed and running.
    It's like trying to think all Prius' owners are really into the green movement, or as if all the diesel running drivers were interested in the better mileage, rather than in the cool factor (at least over here in the Old Continent).
    You consider yourself as a non-pro pc user, but I don't really know much people beta testing W7 especially in its previous releases (68xx), so, in the real and average world, you are quite a step forward the average dude buying a laptop at the shop behin the corner " 'cause NFS iz teh lulz" or for chatting on the damn facebook.
    At the same time, switters78 isn't the usual and modern Apple customer, as half of them purchased it just because they had an iPod before of it, or because "it's white".
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 06-10-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Windows's are usually even worst since they didn't chose it, it was already there, installed and running.
    It's like trying to think all Prius' owners are really into the green movement, or as if all the diesel running drivers were interested in the better mileage, rather than in the cool factor (at least over here in the Old Continent).
    You consider yourself as a non-pro pc user, but I don't really now much people beta testing W7 especially in its previous releases (68xx), so, in the real and average world, you are quite a step forward the average dude buying a laptop at the shop behin the corner " 'cause NFS iz teh lulz" or for chatting on the damn facebook.
    At the same time, switters78 isn't the usual and modern Apple customer, as half of them purchased it just because they had an iPod before of it, or because "it's white".
    True that.

I don't consider myself a pro software user. I'm fascinated with Windows, god knows why but I am. I'm more into hardware. I can still do anything I want to do on Windows though, I know a lot of hidden features/secrets, but yet there's still a ton of stuff I've never used/will never use. Thus I'm not an über user.

As for Macs I'd admit my perfect computing world would include a desktop PC with Windows and a MacBook Pro next to it. To me, it's the best of both worlds.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Windows's are usually even worse since they didn't chose it, it was already there, installed and running.
    You consider yourself as a non-pro pc user, but I don't really know much people beta testing W7 especially in its previous releases (68xx), so, in the real and average world, you are quite a step forward the average dude buying a laptop at the shop behin the corner " 'cause NFS iz teh lulz" or for chatting on the damn facebook.
    I think that's the first post I could understand properly from the thread...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The shop isn't answering the phone (awesome), the girl at the call center redirect me to the computer area, which never answer.
    I'll try later, otherwise I'll have to go and buy it on the moment.

New Windows 7 builds are coming in by the dozen, 7227 has been leaked two days ago as a VHD in x86 only, 7229 was leaked today in both x86-64 and x86, 7230 was supposed to leak but is traceable, so it didn't, and there's a 7231 build to be leaked...

Jesus. At ~3GB each build I'm just gonna wait until the RTM build is finished on June 19th, and keep RC2 (7201) until then.

This is getting confusing, especially since there's a team working on an alpha version of Windows 7 SP1 on a still beta version of Windows 7
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Wow they seem to be working at a furious rate.

You think they are leaking them on purpose?
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    Wow they seem to be working at a furious rate.

You think they are leaking them on purpose?
    Unsure, but they surely know a heck of a lot of people are downloading the newer builds and giving them praise, so maybe, in a way, they do...
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Thread Information