Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by M3GTR33
    But for the Jeep and the rest of the High Perfomance SUV market, its srtictly a buyers market, there isn't to much to shop, ML AMG, TURBO S, SRT-8, and a few others.

The GC is NOT a bang for your buck according to Consumer Reports: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Co...erokee&src=vip
    How cant it be? over 400 horse under 40 grand thats bang for your buck buddy. 4.7 seconds 0-60 what else do u need?
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    How cant it be? over 400 horse under 40 grand thats bang for your buck buddy. 4.7 seconds 0-60 what else do u need?
    I noticed you like american cars. For the record, the Jeep is american, also for the record, you don't know much about the new Jeeps.

The build quality is that of a Daewoo, not to mention, they break down every 10 feet or so (A friend once made it to 11 feet but I don't believe him) and by the time your done fixing it, a piston will blow as you leave the repair shop. Plus the cost of fuel and the cost of repair on that car would be insane.

Also I beg to differ about the price. With ABOSOULTLY NOTHING on the car, it is 40g i doubt yo could find this car new for under 48 to 50.

There's more to a car that performance and price, bro.
    NASCAR = REDNECK

Its cool

Its a pretty cool vehicle i would drive it
    If we race u will lose!!!

ill leavundust Dodge all the way

The build quality is that of a Daewoo, not to mention, they break down every 10 feet or so (A friend once made it to 11 feet but I don't believe him) and by the time your done fixing it, a piston will blow as you leave the repair shop. Plus the cost of fuel and the cost of repair on that car would be insane.
    Back those claims up.

Also I beg to differ about the price. With ABOSOULTLY NOTHING on the car, it is 40g i doubt yo could find this car new for under 48 to 50.

There's more to a car that performance and price, bro.
    So, by nothing you mean a 6.1L Hemi, leather/suede seats, 20-inch wheels, Boston Acoustic stereo with tape/6-disc cd/mp3? That's all on top of the standard feature for the base Grand Cherokees, which includes power locks/windows/mirrors/sunroof. All still for the base price of $40,220.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Back those claims up.

An experience my frined had with the SRT8. Also stated in Consumer Report Magazine which im sure you can look up your self online.

So, by nothing you mean a 6.1L Hemi, leather/suede seats, 20-inch wheels, Boston Acoustic stereo with tape/6-disc cd/mp3? That's all on top of the standard feature for the base Grand Cherokees, which includes power locks/windows/mirrors/sunroof. All still for the base price of $40,220.
    Dealers never ever EVER get base vehicles especially high performance vehicles. And the factory send the cars out with more options pricing it up quite abit since Chrysler isn't making a single penny on the SRT8 models. (That was stated by the SRT team chief)
    NASCAR = REDNECK

Dealers never ever EVER get base vehicles especially high performance vehicles. And the factory send the cars out with more options pricing it up quite abit since Chrysler isn't making a single penny on the SRT8 models. (That was stated by the SRT team chief)
    I geuss you have never bought a high performance vehicale before. Even a redneck who watches nascar knows this.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Here's another instance of "why bother"?
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I geuss you have never bought a high performance vehicale before. Even a redneck who watches nascar knows this.
    Enough with the god damn generalizations. I watch NASCAR and I'm not a redneck.

That wasn't the point, I own a M3
    I can get pics if you like, I also have some other cars that would definatly need proving so ... whatever bro
    Last edited by M3GTR33; 02-07-2006 at 08:41 PM.
    NASCAR = REDNECK

I cant belive how much hate I am reading on the srt8 cherokee.

First let me say that I have been intersted in the vehicle since early november of last year. secondly I just purchased one a week ago.

What is not to like about this vehicle. I have always driven an SUV. Being that I am a rather large guy, I dont like climbing out of cars that are low to the ground, and I also live in an area where it snows.

I picked mine up fully loaded minus the remote starter for 45k. So it is possible, but most will probaly average around 50k. If you ask me other then size, it beats the shit out of any other american SUV.

Lets start with the escalades, base price around 55k. Great truck, I actually like them, however they are heavy, and have basic brakes, and come with 20 inch wheels. They are slow like most SUV's. SRT8 cherokee comes with just about everything that the escalade comes with and will outperform it by far, and costs around 10k less. another downside for an escalade is that everyone and their grandmother has one.

Next in line we have the denali. Basically we are talking about an escalade with the body slightly altered, and with out the cadilac name. basically same price range, and same problems.

Then you got ford, personally I dont think they have done anything right in the last 8 years with the exception of their utility trucks.

Then you have the dodge durango. In my oppinion they wrecked them when they changed the body style and turned them into a 4 wheel drive minivan tank. same braking problems as the above, and has just become bulky and combersome. Forget about taking it off road.

then you have the new jeep grand cherokee srt8. What does this vehicle not have. finally someone made an SUV that actually performs on the street, where 90% of suv's are actually driven. It comes with everything most luxury cars come with and then a few extra's, and instead of having a boring luxery car interior, its all race inspired. its the perfec hybrid as far as im concerned. its luxury, its an suv, and its a sports car.

What is the apeal of americans to SUV's. if you have a few kids your stuck with a big slow car, or a minivan. People started buying the suv's so that they could have a halway cool car, that they could still throw all their kids into, and the added benefit of them handling well in snowy conditions. On top of that suv's use heavy duty parts, and hold up better then todays cars. They also hold their resale value better.

Basically what you have now is all of the GenXers have families. We dont feel old like our parents, and we are not ready to act old. We would love to have a corvette, or other sports cars, but cant squeeze our families into them. So we go with the only other real v8 vehicles the suv's.

So far all of the arguments I have heard are just as invalid as the complaints. if ou are in the market for an suv, chances are you are not too worried about gas milage. Cost, most SUV's are relatively expensive as is, the srt8 is just a step above, and offers much more. Why put that much horse power into an suv? why put a helicopter engine on a lawnmower? we are men, and we love power!!

For the record, I average 15mpg, 12 if I am driving fast alot. I love to see the look on kids faces who are driving these rice cars with the loud muflers when a 5 thousand pound suv blows their doors off at a light.

It appeals to me because its different. If you want a luxury car or an suv, your options are rather limited, and guesse what? everyone already has one just like yours. With the srt8 you get a luxury suv, that performs like a sports car, and ya wont see many of them around. another appealing aspect is that those who dont follow the car world wouldnt know the differance between a jeep grand cherokee, and the srt8. There for alot of guys would be expecting to beat you in a race. Then you get to watch them cry in disgust because their sport car just got smoked by a 5 thousand pound SUV lol.

The person who buys this vehicle more then likely is not planning on towing things with it. we are not real concerned with how many mpg we are getting. We care about performance, getting looks, having something that not many people have, we are unique individuals, and we want a car that equally expresses who we are.

My friend has an escalade, he doesnt get much better gas milage as I do. I can park in just about any parking garage, and he has to find one with enough clearance. I can easily fit into most parking spaces, and he cant. I can out accelerate him, out corner him, and out brake him by a huge amount. My srt8 has everything his escalade has with the exception of a remote start, and mirrors that automatically fold in when he turns off the key. he spent way more money then I did, and his truck will not perform anywhere nearly as well as mine does. His truck also looks like everyother guys escalade lol. If me and him pull into a parking lot, most people are looking at my car. He was saying alot of the things you guys were saying untill he saw my ride, and rode in it. now he wants one.

Everyone has their own flavor, and their own taste. I know a few guys that have big gigantic duellies. some of them tow things with them, but most of them dont even use the bed of their truck. even with their diesel engines they are not making much more horsepower then I am, and while they might tow more, they deffinately wont beat me in the quarter mile. They cant fit into parking spaces, they cant paralell park. To me thats a stupid vehicle, and ya couldnt pay me to drive one. but lots of guys like them for what ever reason. I think its just bragging rights. they want to have the biggest most powerfull truck around. I think its silly, but more power to them if they want to spend 50k on a vehicle that they will never use for its intended purpose.

I say bring it on with the srt8 GC. build a turbo model, build one with 22" wheels, build one with a sub wooffer or two in the rear compartment, build me one with the v10 viper engine in it, me and all my other fellow GenXers will be more then happy to buy them.

On a final note, I would just like to say that I think this srt8 model is the only responcible american suv built. all these other big trucks, and suv's do not have near enough braking power they need. The srt8 has enough, and then some. Hats off to these guys for creating a heavy suv that is capable of stopping the way a small car does.

Other then the mpg, price, and deppending on your oppinion looks, where does this vehicle fall short? someone please tell me logically where this vehicle falls short. Entertainment, all you can ask for, luxury again all you could ask for, performance once again more then you would expect or ask for. Oh ok, I forgot about the trailor hitch, or lack of towing ability. Seriously guys how can you complain about a car having too much of any good thing. Even ifyou want to complain about mpg, it gets better mpg then the durango.

the question was also asked why buy the cherokee when you can get a magnum, or a charger etc. the answer to that question is simple, ITS AN SUV!!! its an suv that performs like a sports car, you are setting high up and can see whats going on around you, it has all of the benefits of an suv, with the performance of a sports car. Thats all I can really say about this post and this vehicle. You of course are entitled to your own oppinion, but if your going to complain please complain about something logical. for example "I dont like the looks of it", "I dont like the mpg", "I would rather have a sports car" however; its illogical to say that a vehicle is garbage because it offers too much horspower, or is too fast, or is too luxurious, or cant tow as much as its lesser model. Maybe it is logical to say it is too expensive, but there are many vehicles with a higher price tag that offer much less. all the american automakers have lost sales, lost money, and their stocks have dropped the last 2 years, but chrysler has actually gained in those areas. Why do you think that is? They are making cars that people want to buy. They are selling a higher quality vehicle in most cases. Their vehicles hold up better then the competitors in most cases. They are giving the people what they ask for, while ford and GM either just throw some cheap crap together in order to make it affordable, or just make expensive vehicles that people will buy just for the name cadilac.

I could go on and on about these subjects. ford mustang? its slow, it looks good from a distance, but soon as you get close you start to see how cheap the parts are, and how poorly its built. as for general motors what do they have as a performance vehicle? the cobalt maybe, sure the corvette thats it. maybe once they bring the camero back they will have something to talk about, but other then that they make shit. Now if you want to talk trucks then yeah GM and Ford make good trucks, but their suv vehicles suck. Trail blazer has had a million recalls, cant accellerate, cant brake, its basicaly a tall station wagon, or minivan. Ok lets not forget the gto. My buddy has a gto, and is only half a car length faster then my srt8 in the quarter mile...freak

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Geneticfreak,

I drive an SUV. I even own one. It's a 1992 Ford Bronco. And I even enjoy it, save for the fuel injection and cheap plastic interior. And having said that, I just don't see the point in having a fast truck. Sure, I bomb mine around off road, but I also work it on our land. To me, a truck is a practical work vehicle. If it can't live up to that, then I have no use for it.

So then, if you get a "sport" truck, you get this:
    A truck that handles well, but not as well as a real sportscar.
    A truck that accelerates well, but could do better as a real sportscar.
    A vehicle that still has shitty gas mileage, even compared to many sportscars.
    A truck whose payload capacitied are still usually well under what the REAL truck equivalents are, and whose towing capacities are also typically somewhat limited.

So why bother? You just get the worst of both worlds. I have the same view on the Cayenne, Lightning, etc.

That is just my opinion, I don't believe in half measures and mixing types of vehicles. If you're going to get a truck, get a TRUCK. If you're going to get a sportscar, get a SPORTSCAR. If you're going to get a luxury car, get a LUXURY car...etc...
    Last edited by jcp123; 02-09-2006 at 08:03 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

if thats how you must look at it, then look at it as a sports car that you can pack you and 4 of your friends into comfortably for a night out on the town, and still carey the groceries home in one trip.

You could choose to look at it like an all wheel drive luxury vehicle that sets up high on the road, and brakes well.

you could choose to look at it An suv that is one step ahead of the competition, and although it isnt train rated who cares, most people who drive suv's dont take them off road.

Its not like they stopped making trucks and replaced them with the srt8. They just made another option for peoplw who drive suv's and are not satisfied with their acceleration, or braking capabilities.

Fact of the matter is this. SUV's are really no longer used for their intended purpose. They have become big luxury status vehicles, and the sporty child carying version fo a minivan. Not many people are taking these vehicles off road, or rock climbing, they are using them to carey their families around, and as a status symbol. What is more of a status symbol then a high performance suv?

As far as it getting worse mpg then other sport cars its right there with most of them. as far as it performing worse then most sports cars, its actually out performing alot of them. Lastly its towing capacity is not that much lower then the original jeep grand cherokee. Sure there is a bit of a trade off, but same as anyhting else in life. other wise skinny hot girls would have great personalities, and fat girls woul dhave more then personality to offer. Strippers would all be loyal to the man they were dating, no one would cheat on their wives or husbands. There is always a trade off no matter what type of vehicle you buy, or drive. Good news is there is a vehicle that fits just about anyones needs...freak

That SRT Jeep is nice. I saw one driving around a few weeks ago. I'm not a big fan of blinged out SUV's but this one is sweet. Jeep will probably sell a lot of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    Hmm another American car that looks like shit, keep em comin'
    Yeah, Saabs looks like a real masterpiece.
    Fords suck, Chevys rule, but its Ferrari that makes me drool

Quote Originally Posted by PrevlingPushrod
    Yeah, Saabs looks like a real masterpiece.
    Only because GM don't have a f***ing clue what to do with the brand, and therefore isn't investing in designs, concepts, or new models...
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information