Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saleen 302 Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Mustang

Saleen 302 Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Mustang

(from Saleen Press Release) Specialty automobile manufacturer, Saleen,(www.saleen.com) expands its product lineup and celebrates legendary racecar driver, Parnelli Jones, by announcing the Saleen / Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Mustang.

Steve Saleen, President & CEO of Saleen, said, “Parnelli Jones is an American racing icon. In the fifties, sixties, and seventies Parnelli won just about every race that he appeared in, including the Indy 500. 1970 was the year that the SCCA Trans Am Series boasted the most competitive field ever, and Parnelli Jones and his Boss 302 Mustang competed against the likes of Mark Donahue and Dan Gurney, and there he captured the championship. Our relationship began in 1987 when Parnelli raced for me on the Saleen team, and helped us win our first SCCA Manufacturer’s Championship at Sebring, Florida. I can’t think of any other individual that brings with him the unique connection between championship winning Mustangs and Saleen.”

Parnelli Jones commented, “It’s a true honor to have a special edition Saleen wearing my name. This impressive car takes me back in time – it makes me want to take it for a run around the track. I’m sure that this car will be an adrenaline-pumping experience for anyone who has the chance to own or drive one. I think that this car is going to evoke nostalgia not only for Steve Saleen and myself, but for everyone that lays their eyes on it.”

Advanced & Authentic

In 1970, spectators wore bell bottom pants and mood rings and watched Parnelli in his Grabber Orange Boss 302 Mustang with black striped hood, cross the finish line to take numerous checkered flags and overall championship.

Today’s Saleen / Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Mustang reflects the same authentic vintage attitude but comes complete with a new Saleen 302 cid V-8, 3-valve engine. This engine produces a whopping 370 horsepower at 6000 RPM, and with 370 ft-lb of torque at 4000 RPM. The high compression engine transforms a normal drive into an exciting thrill ride. Awakening the senses, the new Saleen engine is equipped with a high compression, high revving valve train, utilizing forged pistons, rods, and crankshaft and a lightweight, aluminum flywheel. Top performance calibrations are thanks to Saleen’s PowerFlashTM technology.

Also included in this Limited Edition are new Saleen 302 valve covers. Completing the authenticity and providing additional high performance capabilities is the new exhaust system that provides a low-resonating sound that is a legacy of Saleen.

Classic & Contemporary

“We designed this commemorative vehicle to capture the raw, aggressive feel that Parnelli raced with, and created a racing revolution,” continued Steve Saleen.

The new Saleen / Parnelli Jones Limited Edition comes in one color, Grabber Orange. Period correct details include a black striped “shaker” hood, race-style hood pins, black trunk deck, and 302 side stripes.

Completing the overall effect, the new Limited Edition comes with Saleen performance styling
    including front fascia with racing-style air dam, side skirts, rear fascia, rear 1970 replica wing, trunk insert license plate panel with chrome trim, rear window quarter panels, and a racing-style billet gas cap. Demonstrating further the authenticity of this retro-beauty, Parnelli’s racing number, 15, removable and reusable static cling race decals, and the Ford blue oval are displayed – just like the one that appeared on Parnelli’s 1970 Boss 302 Mustang.

Signature decals of both Steve Saleen and Parnelli Jones show above the door roof rails, and an all-new Saleen Parnelli Jones logo appears throughout the exterior and interior. Borrowed from the seventies are the restyled rear window louvered sport slats, which is an essential part of the overall styling.

Saleen Racecraft Suspension

Keeping with both Steve Saleen’s and Parnelli’s race ancestry, the Limited Edition is designed
    utilizing Saleen’s own precision suspension. However this all new, yet classic Watts-Link suspension is derived from racing and performance applications, and offers the purest in racetype handling. The superior springs, shocks and swaybars provide even greater performance capabilities enabling the tires to remain firmly on the road even in extreme cornering.

Rounding off the Limited Edition are the Minilite-style 19”x9” front and 19”x10” rear racing wheels which prominently display the Saleen / Parnelli Jones Limited Edition center cap, which reflects the cool racing heritage from which they were bred. The car is outfitted with high performance Pirelli 275x40x19 front, and 285x40x19 rear tires, and offers race-car-like stopping with Saleen 14” brakes.

Racetrack Revisited

Strap yourself inside the Saleen / Parnelli Jones Limited Edition and you’re back in time! A time when driving meant extreme passion for the car, the race – and all about the win! Experience the beautifully coordinated orange and black racing-style seats which envelop the driver and the passenger. Grip the steering wheel, grab the special Limited Edition gear shift knob, view the integrated twin gauge pod that reflects oil pressure and temperature, and vintage instrumentation panel with its black background and white characters, and you’re there! Turn the key, blip the throttle, take her for a couple of laps around the track, or around the block, and you can easily imagine you’re at Laguna Seca driving with a racing legend – and the checkered flag is yours!

Feel the Spirit

“Parnelli Jones is an extraordinary example of a legend maker. Even after nearly four decades, his abilities and visions for the sport has very few equals. I anticipate that Parnelli’s racing spirit will come alive in every Saleen / Parnelli Jones Limited Edition that we manufacture. Capping on our motto, ‘Power in the Hands of a Few,’ we will produce a limited number – up to only 500 – in honor of Parnelli winning the Indy 500 in 1963,” said Steve Saleen.

Inspired from Parnelli’s original 1970 Boss 302 Mustang, the ‘Saleen / Parnelli Jones Limited Edition’ lives and breathes all things inherently Parnelli – and all things Saleen!

Availability and Pricing

Certified Saleen Ford dealers throughout the United States are now taking orders for the Saleen
    Parnelli Jones Limited Edition that will be distributed this Fall as a 2007 model. MSRP is estimated to be in the mid-to-high $50,000 for this limited production vehicle. Taxes, designation charges, and other fees may apply.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by McLareN; 04-14-2006 at 06:30 AM.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Just btw where did the "2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Indy 500 Pace Car" thread go?

hey look! another mustang! didnt see that coming

Quote Originally Posted by andy.muc
    Just btw where did the "2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Indy 500 Pace Car" thread go?
    I deleted it, because it was a repost.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...5&postcount=62

PS: Andy, is it OK with you if I replace your pictures with even bigger ones?
    Last edited by McLareN; 04-14-2006 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McLareN
    What makes you think its ok to delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by mduhair
    oh snap!

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...5&postcount=62
    Pff no wonder i couldn't find it. The pics are in the regular Z06 thread.

PS: Andy, is it OK with you if I replace your pictures with even bigger ones?
    Yeah sure go ahead. Bigger = better

Quote Originally Posted by andy.muc
    Pff no wonder i couldn't find it. The pics are in the regular Z06 thread.
    Yeah, Matts like that. He likes to have everything organized

It was a repost therefore I have the right to delete it.
    And I also have "other" abilities... get it?

McLaren dont follow the routine and turn into an asshole once you're given mod duties!!!! save yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    hey look! another mustang! didnt see that coming
    yeah, WTF is up with those latley....the only one worth looking at was the GT-H anyway
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Complaining about a Saleen being "another Mustang edition" is like complaining about all the Ruf and Gemballa cars being "another Porsche edition". Both generalizations should be rewarded with mockery and ostracism.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Because that's his job. And who the hell are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    McLaren dont follow the routine and turn into an asshole once you're given mod duties!!!! save yourself.
    He wasn't being an asshole. He was replying to the rather rude challenge to his authority in a wholly appropriate manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Complaining about a Saleen being "another Mustang edition" is like complaining about all the Ruf and Gemballa cars being "another Porsche edition". Both generalizations should be rewarded with mockery and ostracism.
    just to be clear, i wasnt complaining about the model....just wandering what's up with all the "on-off" versions and special editions at a short amount of time.... 0:]
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street
    just to be clear, i wasnt complaining about the model....just wandering what's up with all the "on-off" versions and special editions at a short amount of time.... 0:]
    But, the Saleen version has nothing in common with the other Ford-created special editions. Plus, why should the Mustang be any different from any other incredibly popular model - such as the 997, the Boxster or any other car that has a lot of versions and a good aftermarket market?
    Last edited by Matt; 04-14-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Thread Information