Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    Yeah, I went with Ubuntu cos I didn't know what Kubuntu was...

And my Brother is/was running it. But he had some problems with printers so hes gone back to windows for now.
    Well Kubuntu 8.10 will be released on the 30th, if you want to go with it... I'll definitely upgrade to it, and I could try to help you out if you have problems with it (by asking my friends!)

It could also be great if we are several people to use it on here, much much easier to share between us.

Just a suggestion
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, Ubuntu 8.10 is also coming out then . I'll see when the 30th comes round.

It would make things a hell of a lot easier if more people were using it round here.

EDIT: Added your msn, just in case something pops up.
    Last edited by #1 Mustang Fan; 10-02-2008 at 06:55 PM.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Obviously Vista is being an asshat and won't let me shrink more than 238MB, even though I have 287GB free on my C: partition. Great. I can't shrink my other two volumes either, both are full... kinda sucks to have more than 1.5TB of hard disk space and not being able to find a miserable 40 to run Kubuntu
    Did you give a good defrag to the partition before trying to shrink it? That should affect the result quite a bit.

Edit: Also you don't necessarily need 40 GB for Ubuntu, I have a bit less than 10 GB and to me that's well enough. And as the newer versions can read and write NTFS partitions without problems, you can mount your Windows partition(s) and use the same documents, pictures, music etc. that you may have in them.
    Last edited by twinspark; 10-03-2008 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    Did you give a good defrag to the partition before trying to shrink it? That should affect the result quite a bit.

Edit: Also you don't necessarily need 40 GB for Ubuntu, I have a bit less than 10 GB and to me that's well enough. And as the newer versions can read and write NTFS partitions without problems, you can mount your Windows partition(s) and use the same documents, pictures, music etc. that you may have in them.
    Ah, thanks for the tips regarding NTFS, didn't know that.

Yeah, I proceeded to start defragmenting right after being denied a proper shrink, I started defragmenting at 21:30 yesterday... 7:15 this morning, still not done! I guess it was needed.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

I have a lot of friends studying Linux at school, and they tried to lure me into the Ubuntu world, always failing, but a couple of weeks ago one of them showed me Kubuntu 8.04 running with KDE 4, and I was absolutely amazed.

I'm currently partitioning my hard drive and will run it side-by-side with Vista SP1.

Anybody knows if Kubuntu/Ubuntu's applications take better advantage of 64-bit capabilities than Windows' do?
    What's KDE 4?

I think my friend uses Ubuntu or Linux, I forgot which one.

He always says it's better than Windows. He's probably right, I just don't know too much about computers.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    What's KDE 4?

I think my friend uses Ubuntu or Linux, I forgot which one.

He always says it's better than Windows. He's probably right, I just don't know too much about computers.
    KDE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post

I found having my windows files and folders/other partitions very helpful, it took me a while to do this. Pity I couldn't get this help sooner...

In regards to KDE (Kubuntu) its a substitute to GNOME which is used in Ubuntu, a type of theme/looks manager. I was talking to some people in regards to KDE vs GNOME, I was told that GNOME has few advantages but is much, much easier to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    In regards to KDE (Kubuntu) its a substitute to GNOME which is used in Ubuntu, a type of theme/looks manager. I was talking to some people in regards to KDE vs GNOME, I was told that GNOME has few advantages but is much, much easier to work with.
    KDE is a bit more candy but I personally find Gnome and Xfce (comes with Xubuntu for example) easier to use and clearer overall. I don't like the settings managers of KDE either, but on the other hand I like KDE's Konqueror better than Gnomes Nautilus as a file manager. Luckily we're not forced to use the programs that come with the window manager.

Right, so after 20 hours of defrag I went from 103MB available to shrink to... 112!

I'm just going to format, partition the drive, and install a fresh copy of both Vista and Kubuntu.

Vista was starting to act up and being much slower than it was during its first days anyway, and I can't be bothered to clean my registry (being lazy and all).
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

After many long hours today and tonight, I got Dual monitors working.

But the linux ATI graphics and drivers only support what is called the "big screen" essentially stretching the screen over two monitors, thus you need two monitors with the same resolution, me having two different sized monitors - A widescreen and.. just a normal one - Meaning I get a proper proportioned image on one monitor and on the other the image is f#%ked, but there.

Since then my screen has had lines across and gone psycho many a time and I have just got the settings back to normal.

So now after all the hard work I need to get rid of this horrible program and I need some terminal codes to get rid of it. I doubt anyone here has an idea but help is appreciated.

Right, so after 20 hours of defrag I went from 103MB available to shrink to... 112!

I'm just going to format, partition the drive, and install a fresh copy of both Vista and Kubuntu.

Vista was starting to act up and being much slower than it was during its first days anyway, and I can't be bothered to clean my registry (being lazy and all).
    Might be a good time to change out your mobo

I'm gonna try it out on a VM, hope the wireless works this time round !

It took me a while to get the wireless going, just play around with settings etc.

Anyway, I had to reinstall Linux. Its hell trying to remember the software sources and updates etc. I'm not going to bother until 8.10 comes out.

Ah, I see. Cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Ah, I see. Cool stuff.
    Yeah, and you can run it over Ubuntu's Gnome. Which is just like Kubuntu in Ubuntu. Lol.

I decided to ignore my previous thoughts of giving up and have restored my Ubuntu to its previous status, as it was before I f**kd it up

Thread Information