Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Multimedia > Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2009, 01:51 AM
carreragt10's Avatar
carreragt10 carreragt10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 854
Venezuela
Ford RS200 IMSA GTO

Ford RS200 IMSA GTO


One RS200 found its way in circuit racing, originated as a roadcar, it was converted to IMSA GTO specification powered by a 750+ BHP 2.0 litre turbo BDTE Cosworth Evolution engine. Competing against the numerous factory backed teams such as Mazda, Mercury and Nissan, with their newly built spaceframe specials, despite being a privateer, the car never achieved any real success to be a serious contender and was sold off later. The car is now used to compete in the Unlimited category at the Pikes Peak hillclimb.

Ford RS200 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford RS200 IMSA GTO 003.jpg (691.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Ford RS200 IMSA GTO 002.jpg (761.9 KB, 113 views)
__________________
Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-15-2009, 02:51 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,268
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2009, 03:42 AM
LeonOfTheDead's Avatar
LeonOfTheDead LeonOfTheDead is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,826
Modena
any info on the year during which it was converted or raced?
__________________
KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2009, 03:54 AM
W.R.'s Avatar
W.R. W.R. is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 370
Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
750 bhp from 2 litres? I'd like to see the bill for engine internals, and it's great shame it wasn't successful, just underdeveloped by Ford, I'd suppose.
__________________
Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 AM
Matra et Alpine's Avatar
Matra et Alpine Matra et Alpine is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,781
nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Not really "underdeveloped", but more "late" developed.
One of the later GroupB rally car developments.
Was getting things sorted just in time for GroupB to be banned
Went on to have a VERY successful rallycross career.
Nothing particularly exotic on the internals.
But expensive to maintain. The "evo" engine upgrade - as this has - threw a cam belt on brothers RS and was £10K to rebuild the head/valves and a piston
Not an ideal track racer as the car was designed for rallying
Bodywork was manufactured by Reliant -- of Reliant Robin fame
bit more on the car at Seeking Sponsorship and driver for Ford RS200 GTO racecar for Pikes Peak Race!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,268
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
any info on the year during which it was converted or raced?
IIRC 1986 ('87 perhaps?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
Not really "underdeveloped", but more "late" developed.
One of the later GroupB rally car developments.
Was getting things sorted just in time for GroupB to be banned
Went on to have a VERY successful rallycross career.
Nothing particularly exotic on the internals.
But expensive to maintain. The "evo" engine upgrade - as this has - threw a cam belt on brothers RS and was £10K to rebuild the head/valves and a piston
Not an ideal track racer as the car was designed for rallying
Bodywork was manufactured by Reliant -- of Reliant Robin fame
bit more on the car at Seeking Sponsorship and driver for Ford RS200 GTO racecar for Pikes Peak Race!
But only because failed with their first Group B car, the RS1700T.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Soloracer's Avatar
Soloracer Soloracer is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 298
Chi-town
Very interesting car, I had no idea only on one was ever converted for road racing. Though on the other hand, SWBs don't always equal great road race cars.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-15-2009, 02:14 PM
cmcpokey's Avatar
cmcpokey cmcpokey is offline
Flat Out
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,039
Kyushu
Send a message via AIM to cmcpokey Send a message via MSN to cmcpokey
why are all of the IMSA GTO cars so ugly?
__________________
Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-15-2009, 02:22 PM
f6fhellcat13's Avatar
f6fhellcat13 f6fhellcat13 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,219
└A & Connecticlump
Send a message via AIM to f6fhellcat13 Send a message via MSN to f6fhellcat13
It started in the early seventies when styling was on the decline and stopped in the mid nineties right as cars were starting to look good again.

Thanks carreragt10
__________________
"Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
"No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Matra et Alpine's Avatar
Matra et Alpine Matra et Alpine is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,781
nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
But only because failed with their first Group B car, the RS1700T.
Well to be fair, every manufacturer was developing a GroupB car based on the body of a car in their range. The clear success of the Audi Quattro 4WD and the short wheelbase spaceframe 205 led everyone to follow that path for GroupB. All the RS1700T engines were used in the RS200
not fair to say they "failed" with their first, they were beaten to the punch on radical homologation special spaceframe rally cars !
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,268
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
Well to be fair, every manufacturer was developing a GroupB car based on the body of a car in their range. The clear success of the Audi Quattro 4WD and the short wheelbase spaceframe 205 led everyone to follow that path for GroupB. All the RS1700T engines were used in the RS200
not fair to say they "failed" with their first, they were beaten to the punch on radical homologation special spaceframe rally cars !
Well then the car wasn't rubbish, just their planification.

Altough, to be honest the Stratos had already shown the way to go in the 70's. Arguably the 037, IIRC the first ever car homologated in Group B, was a modernised 80's Stratos. Of couse Audi had shown earlier that four wheel drive would eventually become necessary, so what Peugeot basically did was combine what had made the Quattro successful and what brought Lancia the championships. And voilą, the 205 T16 appeared.

The RS1700T was far too convenional to succeed amongst those homoloagtion specials. And the RS200, despite showing promise, was far, far too late. Even Lancia which realised their mistake with 037 were (slightly) quicker to react and with better results too.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Kitdy's Avatar
Kitdy Kitdy is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
It started in the early seventies when styling was on the decline and stopped in the mid nineties right as cars were starting to look good again.
You are 100% correct and that era truly was the dark age of cars.

Jalopnik calls it part of that time the Malaise Era which I think is a good term in reference to the cars produced.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,268
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
You are 100% correct and that era truly was the dark age of cars.

Jalopnik calls it part of that time the Malaise Era which I think is a good term in reference to the cars produced.
The 80's were a great decade with some truly great cars and you could still buy some of the all time greats.

It also was before globalisation and standardisation took over.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Matra et Alpine's Avatar
Matra et Alpine Matra et Alpine is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,781
nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Altough, to be honest the Stratos had already shown the way to go in the 70's
Not really, monocoque chassis - ok with tubular front and rear outriggers.
Rear engine, RWD.
About all it had for it was the short wheelbase, which was it's downfall.
A great looking car and one of THE best to hear coming through a forest, but off the pace
Quote:
Arguably the 037, IIRC the first ever car homologated in Group B, was a modernised 80's Stratos.
Not really, didn't share anything with the concept.
( well OK, the idea of a monocoque core and spacefreme front/rear, but the 037 took it much further than the Stratos did and used small supercharged engine.
Quote:
Of couse Audi had shown earlier that four wheel drive would eventually become necessary, so what Peugeot basically did was combine what had made the Quattro successful and what brought Lancia the championships. And voilą, the 205 T16 appeared.
Spot on.
So the 205 was the first of what we came to know as the GroupB layout and style of car. Even Audi were late in realising this and getting the spaceframe , short wheelbase S1 evo into competition.

The RS1700T was far too convenional to succeed amongst those homoloagtion specials. And the RS200, despite showing promise, was far, far too late. Even Lancia which realised their mistake with 037 were (slightly) quicker to react and with better results too.[/quote]
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-15-2009, 05:25 PM
digitalcraft's Avatar
digitalcraft digitalcraft is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,873
Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
Cars in the 80's was like music in the 80's. The main trend sucked, but if you look there are some gems.
__________________
I dont if I'll make home tonight
But I know I can swim
under the Tahitian moon
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Really useful performance listings... Egg Nog Technical forums 58 06-20-2013 10:45 PM
unseen ford concept cars Craiben Classic cars 28 12-16-2012 02:08 AM
GT4 whole car list!!!! Mustang Gaming 247 07-07-2010 08:06 AM
Mach 2 Racing Ford RS200 Evo Pikes Peak Ecnelis Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 1 07-21-2009 10:46 AM
Ford Fiesta Rallye Concept 2008 Gt1Street Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 6 06-29-2008 03:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 AM.

 

© 1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com