Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: College

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    woo hoo my turn!

Acceptances (so far)
    SF State- only a few blocks from my current school.
    USF - only a few blocks from my house.
    UC Riverside - um...nice?
    UC Santa Cruz - Close to my house, Pacific Coast Highway, and is known for pot and a half-decent psychology dept.

Rejections (so far)
    UC Davis - boo I really wanted this
    UC SD - meh, f__k surfing.

I'm scared to check the others now.
    didnt try CSUMB? I wouldnt have either.

And I dont think you want to go to UCR. I grew up in that area, and I wouldnt go back. Stay up here.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Riverside is basically the armpit of southern california. I got accepted there back in my day, I went to check it out, I felt nasty just getting out of my car, it was like I was instantly covered in grime...and i grew up in Anaheim so you know thats saying something.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

You had to apply to get in in 4 years time? Ouch.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    UT as in, U of T, as in University of Toronto?

U of T is a very good school.
    yeah or...texas

Im accepted at U of Ottawa, winzor.

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    i could have went to uoft but picked ryerson just because i got more money here. i don't know some people are real picky and i'm in no position to do that i guess.
    I used to go to Rye High. It gets a bad rap and my experience there was not good - the location is cool if you like downtown though.

Canuck, I dunno much about U Windsor but I do know that it is in Windsor so that's a bad sign.

Where else did you apply?

too bad for undergrad, 'rep' doesn't matter. grad degrees are another story. but for undergrads it hardly matters trust me.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I used to go to Rye High. It gets a bad rap and my experience there was not good - the location is cool if you like downtown though.

Canuck, I dunno much about U Windsor but I do know that it is in Windsor so that's a bad sign.

Where else did you apply?
    Ignore the internet foolishness.

I applied to UofO, Carleton and Western.

too bad for undergrad, 'rep' doesn't matter. grad degrees are another story. but for undergrads it hardly matters trust me.
    it matter to a degree (not as much as grad school) but there is a big difference in how your resume looks if it says "Harvard" on it or if it says "Cal State northridge" on it. plus having a degree from a decent undergrad school makes it easier to get into a better graduate school. plus if you go to a good undergrad school that has a good graduate school that you want to go to, its easier to get in if you are an alum of the undergrad.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Ignore the internet foolishness.
    What internet foolishness? Calling it Rye High?

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    plus having a degree from a decent undergrad school makes it easier to get into a better graduate school.
    no this isn't really right. if this is the case then why are most ivey league grad students not from an ivy league college?

as for resumes/jobs, what you have on that piece of paper as your college matters for probably only your first job. afterwards it is all experience talk...
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

as for resumes/jobs, what you have on that piece of paper as your college matters for probably only your first job. afterwards it is all experience talk...
    experience doesn't grow on trees, you've gotta get that first job. and by your own admission what you have on your piece of paper helps you get that first job. Therefore, the quality of college you go to and get a degree from matters.

if you are an employer, and 2 candidates have the exact same amount of experience, interview the same and have the same quality of grades and stuff. All other things being equal are you going to give the job to the guy on the deans list at Yale or the University of Pheonix?

I'd go for the Phoenix guy and let the Yale guy join the rest of the unwanted financiers/lawyers

Seriously I would be evaluating the guys PERSONALITY and approach BEFORE the grades stuff and it would be the final differentiator. WHere someone learned is irrelevant to all except the egotists
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-22-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Where did you go?

Why no UGA?

I've been to A&M, UCLA and UCSB. Loved all of them, UCLA would be my #1 if I knew I would get in and if it wasn't in Los Angeles.
    the area UCLA is in is so swanky that its insane. parking... good luck on finding it. everything there is insanly priced, USC which i am suprised you didnt apply for is much friendlier and more acessable. just dont go out at night or stay on campus, as the neighborhood is well... ever see that south park episdode about the bloods and the crips? well youll end up being a crip if youi go out past 10pm there. but the people at usc are so much nicer and friendler than at ucla. i know a few professors at ucla cool folks, but man the students are just just just UHHH!!

UCSB not bad

all y'all from cali are surfers anyways
    like duuuuuuuuuuuuuddeee

USF is a great school, nice and compact and just all around beautiful
    Last edited by El Toro Furioso; 03-22-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro Furioso View Post
    the area UCLA is in is so swanky that its insane. parking... good luck on finding it. everything there is insanly priced, USC which i am suprised you didnt apply for is much friendlier and more acessable. just dont go out at night or stay on campus, as the neighborhood is well... ever see that south park episdode about the bloods and the crips? well youll end up being a crip if youi go out past 10pm there. but the people at usc are so much nicer and friendler than at ucla. i know a few professors at ucla cool folks, but man the students are just just just UHHH!!
    I didn't apply to USC because A) I probably would not have gotten in, B) there are better educational opportunities/values for $45,000 a year and C) I don't want to live in Compton.

I didn't even end up applying to any California schools, kind of disappointed my grandpa but he'll live.

Westwood? It was nice but I wouldn't call it insanely swanky, looks pretty much like the rest of LA only with (shock, gasp) trees.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Therefore, the quality of college you go to and get a degree from matters.
    buddy, the inexactness of the position of particles also 'matters' but i am talking from a realistic point of view.

Thread Information