Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Multimedia > Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out

Old 11-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

UK
Send a message via MSN to Vaigra
Chevrolet Camaro by Reggie Jackson

Chevrolet Camaro by Reggie Jackson

Reggie Jackson Has a Muscle Car as Strong as His World Series Batting Record

With a potent, 641-horsepower, a new LSX-based 454-cubic-inch small-block V-8 and the classic looks of the 1969 Camaro, legendary baseball player and ardent car collector Reggie Jackson has a muscle car as strong as his World Series batting record. Jackson partnered with GM Performance Parts (GMPP) and the GM Performance Division (GMPD) to build a one-of-a-kind modern muscle machine that serves as a developmental showcase for GM’s new LSX family of performance engine components.

The powerful LSX 454 small-block engine is backed by a heavy-duty six-speed manual transmission and a sturdy 12-bolt rear axle with 3.91 gears. Additionally, Jackson ’s Camaro features a host of custom features, including a scorching red hue derived from the Camaro concept vehicle, contemporary suspension upgrades and a black leather interior with baseball-stitched upholstery.

“Reggie’s Camaro is a great collaboration that represents the latest in power from GM Performance Parts and the style of today’s multi-use muscle cars from GM Performance Division,” said Lisa Reffett, marketing manager for GM Performance Parts. “Reggie’s participation was instrumental, as he helped guide the design of the Camaro and even helped build the engine with racing legend Warren Johnson.”

Buildup of the Camaro will be featured on Hot Rod TV on ESPN this March, with footage shot of the car’s build, engine assembly at Warren Johnson’s shop, a tour of Jackson ’s collection, testing at the GM Proving Ground in Milford, Michigan, and more.

“It is an exciting car and was an exciting project to be involved with,” said Jackson . “GM was involved in every stage of the buildup, so this is very much a ‘new-old’ Camaro built to OE specs.”

Inside the LSX from GMPP

The 454-cubic-inch small-block V-8 in Jackson ’s Camaro is based on GMPP’s new LSX Bowtie Block cylinder block and other engine components. The cast iron LSX block was designed for the creation of high-horsepower, large-displacement engines based on GM’s Gen IV small-block engine architecture. The iron block enables engine builders to use traditional displacement-enlarging techniques to create large-displacement small-block engines of 500 cubic inches or more. The LSX block is also designed with a thick deck and strategic cast-in strengthening features that support high-horsepower supercharged and nitrous-oxide combinations.

The cylinder heads are prototype LSX heads, which are derived from the LS7 7.0L engine found in the Corvette Z06. They feature six head bolts rather than five, for increased cylinder head sealing – an attribute that builders of supercharged engines will appreciate. Bridging the LSX heads is a new GM Performance Parts four-barrel intake manifold designed to match the rectangular ports of the LS7 head. The manifold is already available from GMPP, allowing customers to run a carburetor on LS7 crate engines. Atop the manifold is a Holley 850-cfm carburetor.

To complement the power packed into its 454 cubic inches, the LSX in Jackson ’s Camaro was dressed with powder-coated accessories and custom rocker covers. The engine retains a classic look at first glance, but a second look reveals the individual coil packs and other features that identify it as a 21 st-century small-block. Stainless Works fabricated a custom exhaust system, including ceramic-coated headers.

Drivetrain and Duspension

The LSX engine in the Camaro is backed by a beefed-up Tremec T56 six-speed manual transmission. It is equipped with a heavy-duty clutch to stand up to the engine’s considerable torque, channeling it via a custom aluminum driveshaft to a Detroit Speed & Engineering-built GM 12-bolt rear axle. The axle is fitted with an Eaton Detroit Locker Truetrac locking differential and 3.91 gears, which turn strengthened axles that are connected to 18-inch custom-design Budnik rear wheels and Goodyear high-performance rubber. Matching wheels and tires are found up front.

To give the Camaro the agility and cornering capability enabled by the wide rolling stock – and spurred on by the 641-horse 454 engine – the engineers at GMPD had to harness the power. To do that, the front and rear suspension were replaced and updated with components from Detroit Speed & Engineering (DSE). Founded by former GM engineers, DSE offers a coil-over-shock front suspension system that replaces the first-generation Camaro’s original setup. It includes tubular control arms and Koni monotube shock absorbers. It was adapted to Jackson ’s Camaro, giving the car the driving reflexes of a modern sports tourer.

Classic Looks, Inside and Out

Although its engine and underpinnings are thoroughly modern, the silhouette of the car is pure vintage Camaro. Jackson pulled the car from his 100-plus personal car collection and, with the help of GMPP and GMPD, it was restored and transformed. And while it looks like an all-stock Camaro body, several subtle changes were made to enhance its appearance. The bumpers, for example, were brought in closer to the body, for a smoother, tighter appearance.

The front-end features a 1969-vintage Rally Sport grille, complete with “hideaway” headlamps. The body also has classic Camaro styling cues, including a cowl-induction hood and rear spoiler. Other subtle changes include the relocation of the market lights. California-based Classic Industries supplied all of the restoration parts, including new chrome trim pieces.

The instrument panel is fitted with carbon-fiber-face Auto Meter gauges, located in housings that mimic the angled gauge placement of the original ’69 Camaro interior. Also, the original seats were replaced with new bucket seats from a Cobalt SS. They were re-trimmed in black leather and feature baseball-style stitching. Pat Russell, of PJ’s Trim, hand-stitched the seats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camarorj69_011600.jpg (261.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg camarorj69_031600.jpg (260.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg camarorj69_041600.jpg (258.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg camarorj69_int1600.jpg (338.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg camarorj69_eng1600.jpg (323.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg camarorj69_021600.jpg (642.8 KB, 66 views)

Being nice since 2007.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Fanatic

NEW YORK
Send a message via AIM to baddabang Send a message via MSN to baddabang
Completely Awesome! Nice find Vaigra.

Anybody know what else is in his collection?
cause i got it on my hands
Old 11-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast

New York City
i wish my uncle could do that to his 68 Firebird Convertible
03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
10 BMW 335d
12 Audi Q5 2.0t
10 VW Jetta TDI
11 Ducati Monster 796
Old 11-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Enthusiast

Pennsylvania, USA
I think I prefer the stock the headlights on that are horrid. But a nice car nonetheless.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast

Maryland, USA
Send a message via AIM to Mr.Tiv Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tiv
Wow...

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'
Old 11-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

Toronto, Canada
Send a message via MSN to Vindesh17
Nice but the rims don't suit it imo.

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Kansas City
Send a message via MSN to nopassn Send a message via Yahoo to nopassn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
I think I prefer the stock the headlights on that are horrid. But a nice car nonetheless.
uhhh... those are the stock hide-away headlights...
Old 11-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Size Queen

Wichita, Kansas USA
Send a message via ICQ to Matt Send a message via AIM to Matt Send a message via MSN to Matt Send a message via Yahoo to Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddabang
Completely Awesome! Nice find Vaigra.

Anybody know what else is in his collection?
This is a car that GM and Jackson collaborated on for SEMA this year. It's not really party of his collection.