Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Multimedia > Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out

Old 03-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

Tallinn, Estonia
Alfa Romeo MiTo (ZAR 955) 2008-

Turin, 14 March 2008

Alfa Mi.To: World Premiere

With the Mi.To, Alfa Romeo wishes to offer a new generation of Alfa aficionados the most compact sports car ever.

An up-to-date and innovative car, a name redolent of history. The name Mi.To has great evocative resonance for Alfa Romeo, since it was chosen as a sign of a deep-seated link between the past and future of the brand: between Milan, the city of design that brought the carís style into being, and Turin, which will be responsible for its industrial production. A decision that highlights the brandís strong desire to consolidate its Milanese roots.

The Mi.To is the first car to be built since the 8C Competizione, Alfa Romeoís icon of style and technology, from which it borrows certain characteristic traits: the particular shape of the unframed side windows, the three-lobed motif that distinguishes the front bumper, the shape of the headlights and the LED tail lights. The headlights and tail lights represent a distinctive personalised feature: a frame featuring different forms of material processing and colours to create an ultra-stylish eye-liner effect that underscores the carís style and aggression.

The highly personal dashboard and seats ensure that the interior represents the ultimate expression of Italian style, welcoming yet sporty, with top-quality materials and the closest attention to detail.

The greatest thought has also gone into defining the dimensions, which add up to a compact and dynamic shape: the Mi.To is 4.06 metres long, 1.44 metres high and 1.72 metres wide.

Style, design, and more: performance and technology must always be top-of-the-range in an Alfa Romeo. As all the brandís models, the Mi.To is able to appeal to the most demanding customers with its exciting driveability, determined partly to the Alfa DNA system. This control acts on the engine, brakes, steering, suspension and gearbox, allowing three different vehicle behaviour modes based on the driving style best suited to the situation or the customerís wishes: supersporting (Dynamic), town driving (Normal), maximum safety even in difficult grip conditions (All-Weather). Mi.To is the first car in its segment to offer such innovative technological content.

Great performances are guaranteed by a range of 4 engines, all Turbo (petrol and diesel), that currently range from 90 hp up to 155 hp, with the range due to be extended by even higher power ratings.

Performance and handling have been developed and optimised to offer maximum driving satisfaction in complete safety. The Mi.To offers true Alfa Romeo sporting ride, featuring contractive suspensions Ė standard on all specifications and engines Ė that considerably reduce roll and maximum active, passive and preventive safety: VDC stability system as standard and a vehicle structure that is already designed to obtain the top EuroNCAP rating in the future.

The Alfa Mi.To will be introduced to the international press during June and will then be gradually introduced from July in all the major markets.

source: fiatgroupautomobilespress.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 080314_AR_MiTo_01.jpg (799.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 080314_AR_MiTo_02.jpg (829.8 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 080314_AR_MiTo_03.jpg (827.0 KB, 123 views)
Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast

Moscow, Russia
Send a message via MSN to faksta
Pretty. So, it's a promised 'Junior'?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Novice

It looks that way. There's a comment on another forum from a UK dealer who says that there will be a 1.8 turbo 230bhp version in the future. Personally I reckon a 150bhp JTDm version of this would suit me perfectly as an everyday car, keeping the breadvan as a weekend toy. I hope they release some weight specs soon as that was where the 159 and Brera really struggled.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast

Warsaw
Send a message via MSN to dydzi
faster than i expected. however i don't understand the policy to release a car a week after opening of geneva auto show... i was familiar with sketches for some time, but still didn't believe the car will share so many elements with 8C. one can be said - fiat group is developing in the right way and so well as never before. it looks really good, not sure about the name though, which btw was given to public information about a week ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by faksta View Post
Pretty. So, it's a promised 'Junior'?
it is.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

UK
Send a message via MSN to Jack_Bauer
I like the concept and the way it looks, but I'm not at all convinced by the name. Sounds a bit gimmicky to me. A sporty Italian car should have a sexy sounding, luxuriant, evocative name. "Mi.To" sounds more like some kind of Nissan or Toyota techy city car concept.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

Warsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
I like the concept and the way it looks, but I'm not at all convinced by the name. Sounds a bit gimmicky to me. A sporty Italian car should have a sexy sounding, luxuriant, evocative name. "Mi.To" sounds more like some kind of Nissan or Toyota techy city car concept.
imo the best offer analised by alfa was 'furiosa'. maybe it'll be be reserved for some more sporty model
Old 03-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Street_Dreamer
I've been waiting for this, absolutely love it and would take it over a Mini anyday (as most of you will have guessed *yawn*). Hat's off to Alfa, this should be a huge hit.
The name has grown on me as well.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast

Tallinn, Estonia
Quote:
MiTo = Milano e Torino

Personally I couldn't care less what they call it. This one is epic indeed. Hallelujah!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Street_Dreamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
imo the best offer analised by alfa was 'furiosa'. maybe it'll be be reserved for some more sporty model
Alfa hated Furiosa and with good reason in my opinion. Fira was a much snappier name and was more fitting for a sporty little car. I just wann see the interior now.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Fanatic

Modena
Quote:
I like the concept and the way it looks
it isn't a concept.
i think Mito it's good name, "alfa mito" sounds pretty good in italian, and i am italian, and i think that if they would translate a lot of name of foreign cars into italian words they would have ugly names

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Old 03-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast

Moscow, Russia
Send a message via MSN to faksta
Well, as for the name, it is associated for me with Mikky Mouse..
Old 03-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast

Loughborough, GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
it isn't a concept.
i think Mito it's good name, "alfa mito" sounds pretty good in italian, and i am italian, and i think that if they would translate a lot of name of foreign cars into italian words they would have ugly names
I suspect (though am happy to be proven wrong) that they wanted to use the name Mito, but can't cos it's owned by Cagiva.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

UK
Send a message via MSN to Jack_Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo View Post
MiTo = Milano e Torino

Personally I couldn't care less what they call it. This one is epic indeed. Hallelujah!
I know what it stands for, I read the marketing guff. Still sounds daft regardless of what it means.

It'd be like Aston Martin naming a new car a New.Gay or Gay.Pag or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
it isn't a concept.
I know it's not. I meant that that the conceptual idea of a small, affordable sporty coupe is a very appealing one.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
faster than i expected. however i don't understand the policy to release a car a week after opening of geneva auto show... i was familiar with sketches for some time, but still didn't believe the car will share so many elements with 8C. one can be said - fiat group is developing in the right way and so well as never before. it looks really good, not sure about the name though, which btw was given to public information about a week ago
It was so hyped that they just had to release some images. Thing is though it will take quite a while to hit the showrooms actually.

About the car itselh it's not bad, altough a bit too big for my liking. The name is just stupid though.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

Warsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
It was so hyped that they just had to release some images. Thing is though it will take quite a while to hit the showrooms actually.

About the car itselh it's not bad, altough a bit too big for my liking. The name is just stupid though.
yeah, actually the images "leaked" to carscoop few hours beforehead... same case as with abarth 500. FIAT can't keep their secrets too well...