Page 1 of 2 Next >> Introduced in 1939, the Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 was the result of over a decade of gradual development of the '6C'. Starting in 1927 with the 6C 1500, the six cylinder engined machines had served as Alfa Romeo's main production model but also scored numerous competition successes. The 6C 2500 would remain in Alfa's line-up until 1952 and is to this day regarded as one of the company's finest cars.
The main distinguishing feature compared to the outgoing 6C 2300 was the enlarged engine. This twin overhead camshaft straight six, originally designed by the legendary Vittorio Jano, grew in size from 2309 cc to 2443 cc courtesy of a slightly larger bore. It was available equipped with either one or three Weber carburettors. The triple was used for the top of the range 6C 2500 ss model, which also featured a high-compression head. In that specification, the engine produced a quoted 110 bhp.
Mated to a four-speed gearbox, the new engine was mounted in the existing steel ladder frame chassis. As before the suspension was fully independent, using twin trailing arms at the front and swing axles at the rear. Stopping power was provided by sizeable, hydraulically actuated drum brakes. The rolling chassis was available in three lengths; 3250 mm on the 'Turismo', 3000 mm on the 'Sport' and 2700 mm on the 'Super Sport'. A choice of companies offered coach-work for the 6C 2500.
In addition to the production road car, Alfa Romeo also developed a competition version for long distance events like the Mille Miglia and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It featured an even higher compression and larger fuel tank and was known internally as the Tipo 256 for its displacement and number of cylinders. Although not victorious in the big races, the eight cars built scored several wins, most notably in the 1939 Tobrouk-Tripoli road rally. Sadly none have survived in their original condition. Page 1 of 2 Next >>