Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ford Falcon Sprint Rallye

Falcon

I went to a meeting at Brands Hatch a few months back where Henri was running a Capri under the Alan Mann Racing name. It was at this time Alan Mann gave me Brian Lewis's contact No.
    As far as I know only one Falcon was ever painted red & gold (which I am told was the Peter Jopp car) and of course won the 67 TCC driven by Frank Gardner.
    I know the guy who recons he brought the remains of this car here in the UK also!
    Most people who hear of my car dismiss it instantly, I know that! but once they see it and the paperwork they soon change their tune albeit rather quietly.
    Thanks again for the interest. Martyn.
    Last edited by 64falconsprint; 02-02-2009 at 03:31 PM.

One of the Alan Mann Ford Falcons was used as a practice car at the Targa Florio. Does anyonw know which car this is -- or any other information?

There was a good article on these interesting cars by Bob Campbell in the March/April 2000 issue of Vintage Motorsport [USA].

--Carter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Martyn, intresting car indeed, are you sure Ljungfeldt drove it in the Swedish rally? according to a film I have from the swedish midsummerrally, Bo's car had a altered dash panel, like the one in the Monte carlo car.

i know its almost off-topic but - ive been wondering and it looks like you are the guys to ask - does this car share any panels or glass with the australian falcon or fairmont? some of the shapes look familiar but i don't think it's as big as the XA XB or whatever they were ...

Quote Originally Posted by fnqvmuch View Post
    i know its almost off-topic but - ive been wondering and it looks like you are the guys to ask - does this car share any panels or glass with the australian falcon or fairmont? some of the shapes look familiar but i don't think it's as big as the XA XB or whatever they were ...
    From a quick look I'd say the windscreen and sedan/wagon front-door inners of restyled 1968-69 USA Torino/Fairlane & Mercury Comet may well have carried over from 1966~70 USA Falcon (although the door skin itself may differ in minor detail), in which case these bits might indeed fit the Aussie 1966~71 Falcon/Fairlane. AFAIK our 1972-on Falcon/Fairlane was externally unique to Oz in every respect, except for certain types of 'generic Ford' hubcaps.

The windscreen and front doors of this below-pictured 1969~81 Argentinian Torino sedan certainly do appear familiar (at least superficially) in shape to Oz 1966-71 XR~XY Falcons and their respective ZA~ZD Fairlanes, which also shared doors and almost all glass, etc.

Argentine Ford Fairlane 1969

However the rear doors of Torino sedan are different, longer, with a less severe rear-wheel cutout to 1966~71 Oz Falcon/Fairlane:
    1968 - Ford Torino

But for your pictured Torino Sportsroof 2-door, I think that nothing external, apart from possibly its windscreen (if same height as Torino sedan?), would be shared or interchange with our local Oz Fords, imo.

Btw, for your interest I scanned this intruiging Oz 'mystery' Falcon from the lead-story in an old 8/1970 'Wheels' magazine:

(hoping you guys pardon this off-topic response)

My car does have the altered dash panel, over the radio area made of alloy sheet housing a Sun Tacho and Stewart Warner oil pressure and water temp. also 4 aircraft grade switch's. If you look at my myspace pics you can just see it. Martyn
    Link to youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFrWZTFV1BY
    Last edited by 64falconsprint; 04-19-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Graham Hill Monte Photos

Desperately searching for pics of Graham Hill's Falcon in the 1964 Monte Carlo Rallye. Anybody?

Matra, I'm pretty sure that is not Graham Hill's Falcon

He drove car #201, here is the best picture I can find of it.

And here is a small picture of Hill's #201 in 1964 Road & Track magazine.

ah sorry, was from a dubious source and not one I follow much

Thanks, Guys. Anybody else?

Here is a pic of the car now. It was converted to a Group 5 Touring car and raced by Roy Pierpoint and Martin Birrane.

Automobile quarterly vol xvii, number 4

The above noted publication for 4th quarter 1979 in vol and number noted above has articles and pics of monte carlo rally cars discussed here. There are about 6 pics not shown here. The title of the piece is " of fords and finns, the monte carlo rally and the falcon sprint". Check it out if you can get a copy. I have a 63 futura fastback v-8 car and have always thought about making a rally replica. I did not think any cars were left but i see a fellow here has one. Very nice.

very cool pics.helpful to build up a model,

Wow, this is a good read...

Hello all!

Thanks for posting all this amazing infos and pictures.

We are building a 64 Falcon Sprint to compete on the upcoming 100th anniversary 2011 Rallye Monte Carlo Historique.

I would really like to learn more details about the original mods done to the cars. The technical aspects are mostly clear, but it is the small, more visual details that I really would like to get as period correct as possible.

One of the most evasive details seem to be good detailed pictures of the interior, especially the dash panel.

Would anyone have a contact info for Mats Lindén as I understand he currently owns the org. car driven by Bo .

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Greetings

Mike

Well not a lot of answers...

We have been accepted by the ACM to participate in the Upcoming Rallye Monte Carlo Historique Jan-Feb 2011.

Here is our car - not 100% finished - during a shakedown run.

Greetings

Michael
    Last edited by 68gt500; 11-26-2010 at 02:09 AM.

Thread Information