Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Age excuse wearing thin?

Age excuse wearing thin?

This is probably something on alot of peoples minds and hasnt until now been brought forward with its own thread. Theres probably countless instances where, lets just say, an under 18 member has put forward their first post on the forums and its gone something like this:

"hi, im new to the forums. firstly i would like to say that the absolute god of a car is the skyline GTR. my uncle has one and everytime im at his place he lets me drive it and i go drifting around the corners and the other day i almost hit this cat asleep on the road, so my uncle made me slow down a bit. im a real big fan of cars so i hope you guys can help me. PS, im only 14 so dont be hard on me"

Well, any thoughts on the matter?
    I am the Stig

Tough call, I gotta say its a case by case scenario, some people are able to post good mature opinions that doesn't reflect their age (such as yourself), while others post a totally uneducated opinion that is mostly laughable, but the underlining factor in both cases is the love of cars and hopefully the desire to learn more and be able to share that knowledge later on.

Its pretty easy to just ignore a post that you feel is not up to par with the forums, its not worth getting worked up over tho.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    its not worth getting worked up over tho.
    Definately, but if we don't 'guide' new members then we'll end up with the site full of arguments aboutnothing in incomprehesnible text !!
    Isn't their a FAQ for the forum where the expectations and limits are written down for all to read and they can chose to either agree and post or get out ??

I've never seen a post such as "I ran over a cat with my uncle's skyline" take it easy guys, if you don't like what you read just ignore it

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    I've never seen a post such as "I ran over a cat with my uncle's skyline" take it easy guys, if you don't like what you read just ignore it
    Been there, got the T-shirt and the bobbing-head doll !!
    If things aren't kept reassonably controlled by FAQs and guiding new users when posting anappropriately then the forum becomes a wasteland of drivel and loses value and then the good members.
    When what you don't like takes up 80% of a forum everyone leaves the children to play alone in the pit

Well there is stuff posted that doesn't make sense, but not 80% I would say less. Maybe you have a point, but it is a free forum and anyone can acces it so it's kind of hard to control it. But I wouldn't worry about loosing the good members..... this is the best car web page I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    "hi, im new to the forums. firstly i would like to say that the absolute god of a car is the skyline GTR. my uncle has one and everytime im at his place he lets me drive it and i go drifting around the corners and the other day i almost hit this cat asleep on the road, so my uncle made me slow down a bit. im a real big fan of cars so i hope you guys can help me. PS, im only 14 so dont be hard on me"
    Utterly hilarious, yet so true its almost painful Its basically all of the typical comments merged into one

Well, any thoughts on the matter?
    OmG yOuR uNcLe HaS a SkYlInE? mInE tOo..... KeWlIeS! P.S.S.S, I'm only 15 1/2 and don't be hard one me cuz my mom can't efford mi pillz because WE SPEND ALL OUR OMNEY ON CLK_GTRSS'S. Oh yeah, and the MCLAREWN RULES YOU>!!!!1111

I think it's entertaining. If everyone was always speaking competently and civilly.... it wouldn't be any fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stickers add horsepower. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Utterly hilarious, yet so true its almost painful Its basically all of the typical comments merged into one

lol well that was the kind of angle i was aiming for, luckily i never had to go through something like that, as when i joined everyone was new lol
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Doza
    OmG yOuR uNcLe HaS a SkYlInE? mInE tOo..... KeWlIeS! P.S.S.S, I'm only 15 1/2 and don't be hard one me cuz my mom can't efford mi pillz because WE SPEND ALL OUR OMNEY ON CLK_GTRSS'S. Oh yeah, and the MCLAREWN RULES YOU>!!!!1111

I think it's entertaining. If everyone was always speaking competently and civilly.... it wouldn't be any fun.

i disagree there. i can quite easily have a reasonable conversation with crisis about something to do with Holdens and Fords, and whilst we may not agree with what each other says it doesnt turn into some juvenile sledge fest
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    this is the best car web page I have ever seen.
    This is how most of us would like to keep it. It is sometimes more than about cars with many other interesting topics which I enjoy just as much. There has been somewhat of an influx of new members which is always welcome. Unfortunately there seems to be a consistant style with some of them. It has caused this member to loose the plot and become a little "out of order" which I take full responsibility for. But I find juvenile , ill concieved comments sometimes ask for certain responses. My comments were judged accordingly and I accept that. You live and die by you words here as they stay around to haunt you. In the end it is no use asking to be excused for what you think is a stupid comment, dont make it or expect consequences. Everyone is welcome to ask questions. As Mr Garrison said, "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people." (joking guys really)
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

thats a good point there crisis, but i think i can expand on it a lil. the moderators and most of the senior members want to keep UCP more or less a gentlemans forum. in other words, all the teenagers wanting to brag about what theyve gotten up to in their uncles grey imported japanese car should keep it to forums of the likes of import forums, skylines downunder and other various sites dedicated to those sorts of cars and activities.
    I am the Stig

Well i am 15 and simply try not to sound like a complete arse when i post, being a forum member here is nice.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Suka
    Well i am 15 and simply try not to sound like a complete arse when i post, being a forum member here is nice.
    Not to worry, you have established yourself as a quality poster.

thats a good point there crisis, but i think i can expand on it a lil. the moderators and most of the senior members want to keep UCP more or less a gentlemans forum. in other words, all the teenagers wanting to brag about what theyve gotten up to in their uncles grey imported japanese car should keep it to forums of the likes of import forums, skylines downunder and other various sites dedicated to those sorts of cars and activities.
    It's fine to say that this is how you want the forums to be. For the most part, I agree ( I think a little playful immaturity here and there keeps things light ). But, how do you suggest going about enforcing these rules? Do you delete posts/threads simply because you don't like the way they talk or you don't believe what they say? How you do you keep these types of members from joining the forums in the first place?
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Thread Information