View Poll Results: Which engine would you prefer?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Twin Turbo 3.0 V6 5 valves/cylinder

4 22.22%
  • V10 5.0 4 valves/cylinder

10 55.56%
  • V8 7.0 2 valves/cylinder

4 22.22%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine choice

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    V10 seems to be the obvious choice here . Actually, until recently with the new BMW unit, you don't really see many V10s outside of the USA. They've got a few truck engines as well as that famous Viper powerplant...

EDIT: I just know that Henk4 is going to come up with some engine I've never heard of before . I'm crossing my fingers...
    Sorry I missed the evolvement of this thread, but when I first saw it I thought about the post I made about the comparison of the Viper, the Gallardo and the SL55. Three different engines, and more or less the same power output and corresponding performance. From this lot I would chose the V10 (Gallardo??), as I assume that the 7 litre V8 is just low tech american OHV lump. The V6 looks like the Jaguar XJ220 engine, which is quite nice also.

Coming back to the more exotic engines, and what Matracien is reporting, yes there has been a Honda in line 6 cylinder 250cc motorcycle engine that was used in the mid sixties (also used as a 350 cc version), which did well over 20000 revs. These motorcylces were present at the 2002 Festival of Speed, but I did not hear them run. ( I have added a picture but with the faring on, you can't see the engine, but if you are in modelling you can actually buy a 1/9 scale model of bike, produced by Protar)

I never heard the sound of the Matra, but what I did hear was the 1500 cc BRM V16, F1 engine from the early fifties. There has been a thread on this forum about the best sounding engine ever, and somebody posted a recording of this sound. Incredible, see if you can find it. The car posted here is the one owned by Nick Mason, of Pink Floyd fame.

I have also added the 2500 CC V12 maserati as appeared in the 250F, not because it is such a good engine but because I like the picture.

Finally, coming back to the original question, the engine I would go for might have been the V10 VAG diesel, but for people who have read my postings before that should not be a surprise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Coming back to the more exotic engines, and what Matracien is reporting, yes there has been a Honda in line 6 cylinder 250cc motorcycle engine that was used in the mid sixties (also used as a 350 cc version), which did well over 20000 revs. These motorcylces were present at the 2002 Festival of Speed, but I did not hear them run.
    Honda brought their collection over to the Isle of Man for their anniversary.
    Some of these bikes had never been out of the factory and were only run every few years. One of them would NOT be run again for at least 5 years as the components only have a finite life and Honda want to keep them for a LONG time :-) Their Japanese site has ALL the Honda screamers , it can be found off of this great site on Honda race bikes. ( check out the RC116 - 50cc and STILL the most efficient engine EVER produced !! IN 1966 - 4 valves per cylinder and 9 speed sequential gearbox )

http://www.vf750fd.com/Joep_Kortekaa...e_history.html

and there are LOTS of photos of the bikes nad engines for ALL the bikes at that site and Honda's own.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I never heard the sound of the Matra,
    There's a link to it in another thread, click here for V12 sound
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 12-28-2003 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Honda brought their collection over to the Isle of Man for their anniversary.
    Some of these bikes had never been out of the factory and were only run every few years. One of them would NOT be run again for at least 5 years as the components only have a finite life and Honda want to keep them for a LONG time :-) Their Japanese site has ALL the Honda screamers , it can be found off of this great site on Honda race bikes. ( check out the RC116 - 50cc and STILL the most efficient engine EVER produced !! IN 1966 - 4 valves per cylinder and 9 speed sequential gearbox )

http://www.vf750fd.com/Joep_Kortekaa...e_history.html

and there are LOTS of photos of the bikes nad engines for ALL the bikes at that site and Honda's own.

There's a link to it in another thread, click here for V12 sound

Great site about the Honda's, very interesting. Thanks.
    The Matra sound site draws a blank, so what next?

Thread Information