Thread: S14 Sylvia???

S14 Sylvia???

I was just watching the movie "Drift Bible", it was the first time i have ever even heard of the sylvia (if thats how you spell it). It was kind of hard finding a web site with information i trust (damn ricers) so if somebody here knows.... educate me.

the S14 silvia is the japanese model of US nissan 240sx, in japan the S14 silvia is a 2 door, RWD vehicle with a 2.0L turbocharged I4 with ~210hp, called the sr20det.
    in US the S14 is a nissan 240sx with a 2.4L I4 naturally aspirated making ~155hp at the engine & about 125 at the wheels, the name is the KA24DE which is a truck engine used in the frontier.
    it has independent suspension which makes it a very good drifter, specially being RWD and somewhat lightweight. btw its a good thing to have that truck engine.....the torque it makes(about 130 or so to the wheels) can be felt pretty good, even though it doesn't have so much top-end(as in the hp falls at about 5500 rpm), its nothing a turbo can't fix. the engine with stock internals can withstand about 350hp or about 16psi(with a turbo) since the internals are somwhat strong, and the connecting rods are allready forged(ya just need to shot-peen them if the engine has a lot of miles), it has been proven to stand 500rwhp on stock connecting rods.
    Last edited by TheOne; 01-13-2005 at 05:58 PM.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

try www.club240.com

i learned alot from that forum about these cars and now im considering that i get one when i turn 16

also, if you are thinking about getting one, i know that money wont be an issue becuase you can get them for really cheap, like around an average of $1500 for the s13 which is the same as the s14 except just different year models.
    Last edited by shr0olvl; 01-13-2005 at 06:02 PM.

sleepy hollow (not really, but it might as well be)
    wow, TheOne sure knows his silvias
    blah.

Yes he does, and the more that you get into this car, the more little "quirks" you find out about it.

Like: the Syleighty/Sleighty/ect. (I've seen it spelled several different ways) is a Sylvia and a 180SX hybrid. The 180SX came with (IIRC) a CA18DET, which was a smaller displacement (have we read our Nissan books today children?) of 1.8L vs. the 2 liter SR20. The mod isn't really done for engine purposes, but looks. A lot of ppl prefer the looks of either the front or rear end of one of the cars over the other.

I love discussing Nissans. I learned a lot when I had mine. I once read about an Austrian bred SR16DE. I believe that it was only put out in Austria, had the bell housing for the SR20 transmission, but had Maxima transmission internals in it. It wasn't widely used b/c it had a bad habit of eating transmissions for some reason. I don't know how founded the info was, but it sounded reasonable enough to believe.
    Last edited by boostin94; 01-14-2005 at 10:11 AM.
    -Shawn H
    '94 Eclipse GST
    Mods: Lots of stuff to make the car fun.

So im assuming theres no Left had drive version?

BTW: i guess it is true nobody reads the asians lol.

the US nissan 240sx is a left hand drive.
    the japanese silvia is right hand drive(and the australian.....and all the others that drive on the other side of the road)

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

so are the 240sx and the S14 the same thing?

is there like an S15 for the 300sx??

Quote Originally Posted by 16-4Veyron

s13, s14, and s15, just tell you what generation the 240sx is, like the s13 means its a 88-94 year model ( not sure if this is correct ) and the s14 is like the 95-98 year models

but for the s15, you dont have to worry about that becuase they are not sold in the U.S.

It's really unfortunate that the 200SX is out of production now (S15 Silvia). I used to really like that car and I used to swear that one day I'd own one. Apparently its production run was stopped because of issues with high emission or something! Strange...
    Last edited by fa22_raptor; 01-14-2005 at 10:37 PM.

yeah it kinda sux that they stopped producing it after the S15....and it probably is emissions....thats supposed to be the why they didn't import it with the sr20det(and also it was said cause it would hurt the sales of the 300zx, but this is just rumors or BS)

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    It's really unfortunate that the 200SX is out of production now (S15 Silvia). I used to really like that car and I used to swear that one day I'd own one. Apparently its production run was stopped because of issues with high emission or something! Strange...
    lol.... what is funny, is that in the states, the 200SX is a 2 door "sports" car, but is nothing like the 200SX everywhere else. Here it is basically a 2 door Sentra. Datsun made them as a 3 door econo sporty type car in the 80s, but when Nissan brought it back for a couple years in the 90s, the best you could wish for was to get the 200SX SE-R, that came with the NA SR20DE.
    -Shawn H
    '94 Eclipse GST
    Mods: Lots of stuff to make the car fun.

sleepy hollow (not really, but it might as well be)
    the s15 silvia was stopped, and no plans for a 16, after nissan came under french ownership. there was talk for a veeery short time about ending the skyline, almost completely, but the idea was squashed like a fly. im in the same boat, i always wanted a s15, since gran turismo 2, when i had a yellow spec r. aero... if im ever rich and famous, i'll have a 20 car garage with an s13, 14, 15 among others... if only
    blah.

Thread Information