Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: right hand drive

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    or nobody

Overtaking is safest being able to see the on-coming dangers earlier.
    HAving driven LHD in UK and RHD in Europe, safe drivign requires another level of training and concentration. Seeing how badly most fair with the drivers seat in the BEST place, I'd hate to rely on their observations if stuck in the middle
    You just stick your nose out a little and if someone almost hits you, you shouldn't pass and if noone almost hits you then you can pass.

But seriously you're right on that one...I didn't even think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by aNOBLEman
    You just stick your nose out a little and if someone almost hits you, you shouldn't pass and if noone almost hits you then you can pass.
    The techinique I was taught and use is to stick the car out and if your passenger SCREAMS then tuck back in
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

My Fiat is LHD and my Lotus is RHD - I don't have any trouble switching between the two. The only thing I found at first with the unfamiliar side (in my case the LH side) is that if something surprises you, like a corner is tighter than you expected or a car coming the other way crosses the white line a little, you brake and go to change down instinctively and find yourself grabbing the door pocket or the window winder!

Strange, because you would expect using the "wrong" hand to change gear would really mess you up, but it doesn't actually.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    My Fiat is LHD
    so no problems overtaking then ---- you can't

Sorry couldn't resist

I'm same switching between Matra. The only time I had trouble was on loose stuff and opening the door when doing handbrake turns All the Audi works shells were LHD
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    so no problems overtaking then ---- you can't

Sorry couldn't resist
    LOL!

It's ok. It's a fair cop.
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    ... find yourself grabbing the door pocket or the window winder!
    Having made the transition from LHD to RHD (Australia) I have to say that happened more than once. Also, you tend to drive strangely close to the left white line on your lane, you look for rear view mirrors in places where they aren´t, you look for cars on the wrong side of the road (at T junctions) and of course, turn signals are were wipers used to be.
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    Just my opinion, i think countries that have RHD should change it to "normal" LHD, the gear stick stays on the right, easyer for almost everyone, it would be a matter of two or three generations to accept the change.
    because if the shifter is on the right you'll bash your leg on it getting in and out and its an obstacle if you have a crash, if you get belted on the drivers door it might end in your leg

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    ... you tend to drive strangely close to the left white line on your lane ...
    I tend to find this only affects me when I'm on the "wrong" side of the road. What I mean is, I'm used to driving RHD on the left. LHD on the left means my road position is still fine, but either LHD or RHD driving on the right and I tend to lurk too close to the verges for the first little while at least.

My dad scared the $hite out of us in Italy last summer with just such rabbit-frightening antics!
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

Thread Information