Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First car for under 40k AUD?

First car suggestions for under 40k AUD?

I'm looking at buying a car at the end of this year. Basically, my budget is AUD $40000 (about US $30800) from what I'm going to put in and what my dad's going to put in. I want something that's moderately fast, good-looking and something that's not not overly old. I'm looking at a 2002 Honda Integra Type-R (Basically an Australian/Japanese RSX) which is around the $33000 mark. What other cars around this price can I get which would be a good, moderately fast first car? I'm not planning to buy any aftermarket parts either performance-based or ricer-based by the way .

(And yes I know, I'm a lucky bastard having this budget for a first car )

(edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm totally serious about this and am DEFINTELY going to buy a car at the end of the year which without other suggestions is going to be an '02 Integra Type-R. Please suggest seriously as I'm genuine.)
    Last edited by fa22_raptor; 01-24-2005 at 07:49 AM.

you should be able to be pick up an '02 or '03 bA XR6T for between 35K and 40K...

Quote Originally Posted by shockwaveracing
    you should be able to be pick up an '02 or '03 bA XR6T for between 35K and 40K...
    Yeah! That would be alright! But then again, an XR6T's a bit too big for me. I don't have a family yet and I want something a bit smaller. Good suggestion though, it's certainly powerful enough!

just go into carsales.com.au, and select "dealer used cars", then "ford", then "falcon", thenmake the keyword xr6 turbo, search in victoria, state wide and you should find a couple...

what about a holden monaro 5.7l V8?

Mitsubishi Galant VR4? Probably hell to insure and i'm not sure about the supply of em in Aussie.

I reckon a nice car would be a VW Golf VR6 or something.

soz thats $60k! (The Monaro)

you could get a BEAUTIFUL used spotless subaru wrx or GT liberty for that price.

and you are a lucky prick having that much money!!!!

good luck with the car.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

EVO IIIs go for about $30000, maybe a bit less and they're a rocket
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I think a Astra turbo would be good for a first car, get a kit, decent spoiler and a new mufler.

Your in a similar situation to me, for 40k you can get a 1999 RX-7 imported from japan, id say alot faster than Type R but depends on what you like, im also considering the Type R, but id end up ricing it up abit, lol not crazy but just abit for the speed.

I don't really want something that's going to hurt me insurance-wise. I think an RX-7, WRX or something would be pretty bad in that regard. Does anyone know the relative premiums for the cars in this price range? Thanks a lot guys.

(BTW, I don't need something incredibly fast like a modified RX-7, just something with enough power to keep me happy )

alrite, in that case i think Type R is the way to go, although notable options would be S15 or WRX which are both faster without any mods. S15 and Type R look the best though. I havent really enquired much about insurance premiums yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    I don't really want something that's going to hurt me insurance-wise. I think an RX-7, WRX or something would be pretty bad in that regard. Does anyone know the relative premiums for the cars in this price range? Thanks a lot guys.

(BTW, I don't need something incredibly fast like a modified RX-7, just something with enough power to keep me happy )
    you are in exactly the same position i'm in. i can't get insurance on a wrx, can't quite afford an '05 integra type S, rx-7 too fast.
    now i'm buying a 2000 integra type R because its cheaper and actually better than the '02-'04 models. in a year or so when the '05 model drops in price then i'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    EVO IIIs go for about $30000, maybe a bit less and they're a rocket
    EVOIII's are 30 grand in Aussie?!! WTF? Here they're less than half that!

Thread Information