Thread: Holden releases V6 and VZ Adventra

Holden releases V6 and VZ Adventra

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

Hoping for Lion's share
    Jaedene Hudson
    04feb05

At a time when Ford's Territory SUV has stolen the show with record sales (more than 13,750) since launch and many awards (including CARSguide's Car of the Year), the Adventra V6 is a must-win for the Lion.

Holden unveiled the Adventra V6 yesterday culminating an $18 million development program.
    "The Adventra is a very important car for us," says Holden chairman and managing director Denny Mooney. "It will make more of a direct competitor and there are definitely customers out there who don't want an eight they want a six."

Mooney is confident it can win back some of the buyers who went to Ford looking for a V6 option. "I think there is a possibility, I mean there were some issues and some drawbacks with the V8 and they have been addressed with the V6."

The Adventra V6 will be on sale from April and will be available in three models: SX6 ($40,990), CX6 ($46,990) and LX6 ($52,990). They will join a revamped LX8 ($56,990).

The SX6 is $2000 cheaper than the base Territory AWD and $3990 cheaper than Toyota's entry-level Kluger.

The V6 models house Holden's 190kW Alloytec 3.6-litre V6 under the bonnet and the new five-speed transmission.

Holden also unveiled a surprise model: an all-wheel-drive version of the V6 One Tonner, the first of its kind in the market.

Another arrival is the V6 Crewman AWD (Crewman Cross 6). Both utes share the 175kW 3.6-litre V6 and a four-speed auto.

All the AWD models use Holden's Cross Trac AWD system. Cross Trac is a permanent, traction control-based AWD system which has a rear-wheel-drive biased torque split of 32 per cent front and 62 per cent rear.

The LX8 gains the 250kW 5.7-litre V8.

All V6 models feature hill descent control (forward and reverse), electronic stability program, cornering braking control, electronic brake assist and electronic throttle control and 200mm ground clearance.

The V6 variants have a bolder face than the current Adventra with twin bonnet lines, a broader air intake, black mouldings and aluminium plates.

Standard features on the SX6 include: driver, front passenger and side airbags, 17-inch alloys, rear park assist, CD player, cruise control, auto headlights, airconditioning, power windows and mirrors, remote tailgate window operation, and cargo blind.

Additions on the CX6 include: leather trim and leather steering wheel, transmission shifter and handbrake handle, six-disc CD, electronic climate control and front reading lights.

The top-of-the-line LX6 and the LX8 additions include an electric sunroof, level ride suspension, 10-speaker stereo with subwoofer and 260W amp, electric front sport seats and dual zone climate control.

Holden's new light commercial range cost $12 million and testing was carried out as far away as Sweden. Last year Holden grabbed the number one spot for LCV's and these new models see the number of LCV model variants rise to 55.

The commercial range has been expanded and the new One Tonner Cross 6 has a few surprises.

Holden is marketing the new car as the "ultimate traddie's vehicle".

"One Tonner Cross 6 pushes the envelope even further because there is simply nothing like it in the market," Mooney says.

"We are not sure of what demand we will have for this sort of vehicle but with the flexibility of the AWD system it really was easy to produce.

"The One Tonner in AWD will be attractive to some people and we already have the hardware in the plant so it was easy."

The One Tonner Cross 6 has a higher ground clearance than its rear-wheel-drive stablemate (235mm kerb) and sits on 16-inch rubber.

It has a ramp break angle of 19.5 degrees (kerb), an approach angle of 21 degrees and a maximum carrying capacity of 828kg.

The One Tonner takes on the new Adventra-style face and has a new fabric trim.

Standard features include: driver airbag, power windows and mirrors, four-way electric seats, cruise control, auto on/off headlights and steering wheel mounted stereo controls. It has a new brake booster and master cylinder and uses the Bosche 8 ABS system with brake assist.

The Crewman Cross 6 steps up into 17-inch shoes, adds a passenger airbag, leather wrap steering wheel and sports trim. It can carry 781kg and has a ground clearance of 226mm (kerb). The Cross 8 is now powered by the 235kW V8 and adds electronic climate control and sports gauges.

Holden will release a SX8 model exclusively for the country's police service.

While he did not want to "tip Holden's cards on the table," Mooney says development of a medium-sized SUV has already begun.

"There is some growth in a segment in the SUV market and you can bet we are looking at something for that."

---------------------------------

Personally i think Holden will be lucky to get another 200 sales per month because of this. The V6 you'd expect because of the car's bulk wont improve economy as much as people want it to, the stylind looks too oddball now with a clean VZ bonnet and top grille and the SUV styled bumper and they still havent fixed the issues with the front suspension when on road. At least its got the 5 speed which puts it ahead of the Territory, but equal with the Kluger still
    I am the Stig

I missed the 1 tonner AWD there, That could be a good one to buy they tow heaps and with the extra grip could be something good, Would even be good on a wet night around corners
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Its a hard market to break into. Trying to sell a Hilux buyer a one tonner isnt so hard cause the cost isnt such a big step. Someone who's interested in an AWD one tonner probably already drives an AWD jap ute and their previous car is probably better for its purpose
    I am the Stig

A option V8 would have been good also, Did you catch the price of the AWD 1 tonner mate ?

$31,990 for the one tonner AWD V6 which is about the equivalent of a base model, 4x4 HiLux or Rodeo dual cab 4x4, so you can see the issue there if you can get a dual cab for the same price as the normal cab ute. V8 model will probably follow either as an unnoficial VZ2 like the SV8 bodykit or they'll wait out for VE, thats my guess.
    I am the Stig

I guess 1 tonner AWD i wonder whats next a sedan AWD ?? Maybe a SV6 AWD?

Well it can be done, the SSX proved that its under development anyway. VE should have the necessary development done to it to fully support a LRH AWD (dont you just hate acronyms ) Commodore, most likely Monaro and SS first, followed by the option for it on the whole range within 1-2 years, following Holdens habits of releasing new technologies
    I am the Stig

Well the Coupe 4 is already a high performance 4wd model, a sign of things to come?

Its still a niche product though, its all alone in the market and i wouldnt be surprised if its another underfunded project by Holden that in 3 years time, the extra tooling they made for the flared guards starts shitting itself like the Monaro tooling is apparently doing now, the reason they want to shift production to the US. With costs spread over 3 models like the SS, CV8 and Coupe4 though, they should be able to make it happen
    I am the Stig

for them to be successful, if and when holden brings out AWD on the SS/CV8, they have to be the same power as the RWD versions otherwise they will flop
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Well theres no reason why they wont be less powerfull than the RWD versions, the only reason the Coupe4 was cheaper than the VY2 Clubby cause since HSV had gotten the 285kw with a full exhaust and headers, they were bigger than normal and didnt have the right clearance around the AWD drive gear
    I am the Stig

Was talking with my brother about holdens being built in the u.s, He was saying it's not good there built quality is poor and most of the Americans complain about it. Something he seen on the doc channel he said He loves them doc's And that American choppa

AWD one tonner is an interesting idea though. think about the lease possibilities there for construction companies and farmers. i dont think you can lease a Hilux or Courier.
    The Datto will rage again...

Well the new Courier's your lucky to get your hands on them cause the government keeps taking them for the guys that fix the railway and such. My dad was looking at getting one but it was a 3-4 month wait.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information