• American

21 32.31%
  • European

44 67.69%
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: American Cars VS European Cars

Heh...heh:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Was this normalised for volume and age of cars and mileage travelled and service intervals ??
    After all it IS the "national Enquirer".

They are to newspapers as Fox is to TV news
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

A sample of 953 of a population of how many hundred million?

And across such a wide area of the country as well, part of two states!

Our survey says: Your research is sh*te!

What if say... 5000 Audis traveled along those highways and 10 broke down, and 1 Oldsmobile drove down the highways and broke down.

That means Oldsmobile is more reliable?

Does it bollocks!

That really is appaling research I hope Dr Amar was fired for even daring to publish that crap
    Thanks for all the fish

DOn't panic guys, it's clearly been supplied by the CIA WMD intelligence gathering team.

A little googling turned up the origianl article.....

"5. National Enquirer, July 28, 1987, p. 5. "Surprise! Foreign cars breakdown much more often". Reporter Ken Potter made news on the Highway Breakdown Index developed via a survey of the passenger car breakdowns in New York and New Jersey area."

It WAS 1987 FOR F**KS SAKE !!!!!!!

Serioulsy Fleet, you lose credibility at every step

PS: In fact if you look REAL close at the bottom right of the article you can SEE it was 1987 !!!!

So many holes shot through it already. BTW in his CV he states he was working for GM at the time, so no great surprise he'll produce a report like that then
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

How about something from 2005? Or is that too old also? Maybe I'll try to find an article from 2007 or 2008 (I don't know how, but I'll try).
    As far as average reliability, American cars passed up European cars about 2 years ago. I guess you guys missed when it happened.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine

A little googling turned up the origianl article.....

"5. National Enquirer, July 28, 1987, p. 5. "Surprise! Foreign cars breakdown much more often". Reporter Ken Potter made news on the Highway Breakdown Index developed via a survey of the passenger car breakdowns in New York and New Jersey area."

It WAS 1987 FOR F**KS SAKE !!!!!!!

Serioulsy Fleet, you lose credibility at every step

PS: In fact if you look REAL close at the bottom right of the article you can SEE it was 1987 !!!!
    There was no googling involved. I have the original article. It is an actual article from an Enquirer I saved (I used to save those along with car mags).
    The exact date is July 28, 1987.

So what if it's from 1987? First, American cars are generally believed to be more reliable today than in the mid-'80s. So, if the article disproved the myth that American cars break down "all the time," back then, it's even more valid today.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Was this normalised for volume and age of cars and mileage travelled and service intervals ??
    After all it IS the "national Enquirer".

They are to newspapers as Fox is to TV news
    Regarding the extra info you asked... I don't know. I posted the entire article, so you know as much about the survey than I.

Fox is a legitimate media/news outlet. They have the least amount of controversies regarding news reporting than CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, BBC, MSNBC, CNBC, etc so get it over it already! If anything, criticism regarding TV/cable news stations should be directed to all those others I listed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    Regarding the extra info you asked... I don't know. I posted the entire article, so you know as much about the survey than I.

Fox is a legitimate media/news outlet. They have the least amount of controversies regarding news reporting than CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, BBC, MSNBC, CNBC, etc so get it over it already! If anything, criticism regarding TV/cable news stations should be directed to all those others I listed!
    I think we have dealt with Fox. Its credibility is limited to neo conservative and apologists for the Iraq invasion.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

How about something from 2005?
    More about the 2005 article from the April, 2005 issue of Consumer Reports.
    That organization (CR) has been in existence since 1936. They are probably the least-biased magazine when reporting on cars. I disagree with their choices in cars many times (they think the Toyota Camry is "fantastic").

In the two-page article I posted, CR reports that for the 2004 models, the Asian cars averaged 12 problems/100. American cars averaged 17 problems/100, slightly better than 18/100 for 2003 models. European cars averaged 21 problems/100, slightly worse than 20/100 for the 2003 models.

The data CR analyzes comes from approximately 810,000 reader respones in surveys. They have had frequency-of-repair charts in the annual auto issue every year since the early '60s or late '50s.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    I think we have dealt with Fox. Its credibility is limited to neo conservative and apologists for the Iraq invasion.
    Then why do the other stations have more hard-news controversies?

Dan Rather is only one guy and not 'other stations.' Media jumps at every opportunity they get, I don't blame the man too much.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Great link.
    UNMOVIC acting executive chairman Demetrius Perricos told the council on June 9 that "the only controls at the borders are for the weight of the scrap metal, and to check whether there are any explosive or radioactive materials within the scrap," Middle East Newsline reported.
    "It's being exported," Perricos said after the briefing. "It's being traded out. And there is a large variety of scrap metal from very new to very old, and slowly, it seems the country is depleted of metal."

"The removal of these materials from Iraq raises concerns with regard to proliferation risks," Perricos told the council. Perricos also reported that inspectors found Iraqi WMD and missile components shipped abroad that still contained UN inspection tags.

He said the Iraqi facilities were dismantled and sent both to Europe and around the Middle East. at the rate of about 1,000 tons of metal a month. Destionations included Jordan, the Netherlands and Turkey.

If Iraq has to get rid of them then it seems they were. The report says it is a large amount of scrap metal. So while Saddam was technically getting rid of these weaons, he was not completely complying and was trying to cover up the weapons he had.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Dan Rather is only one guy and not 'other stations.' Media jumps at every opportunity they get, I don't blame the man too much.
    The Dan Rather scandal is not the only one. Every major news outlet has had their share of scandals (except Fox News). I definitely blame Dan Rather- he didn't bother to check the info handed to him because it was a possible Bush scandal and Mr. Rather is obviously anti-Bush. Good riddance, Mr. Blather!

Remember when CNN was not reporting actrocities in Iraq because they were allowed to stay in that country?

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Great link.
    UNMOVIC acting executive chairman Demetrius Perricos told the council on June 9 that "the only controls at the borders are for the weight of the scrap metal, and to check whether there are any explosive or radioactive materials within the scrap," Middle East Newsline reported.
    "It's being exported," Perricos said after the briefing. "It's being traded out. And there is a large variety of scrap metal from very new to very old, and slowly, it seems the country is depleted of metal."

"The removal of these materials from Iraq raises concerns with regard to proliferation risks," Perricos told the council. Perricos also reported that inspectors found Iraqi WMD and missile components shipped abroad that still contained UN inspection tags.

He said the Iraqi facilities were dismantled and sent both to Europe and around the Middle East. at the rate of about 1,000 tons of metal a month. Destionations included Jordan, the Netherlands and Turkey.

If Iraq has to get rid of them then it seems they were. The report says it is a large amount of scrap metal. So while Saddam was technically getting rid of these weaons, he was not completely complying and was trying to cover up the weapons he had.
    That is interesting. Something I haven't read, either.

There was no googling involved. I have the original article. It is an actual article from an Enquirer I saved (I used to save those along with car mags).
    The exact date is July 28, 1987.

So what if it's from 1987? First, American cars are generally believed to be more reliable today than in the mid-'80s. So, if the article disproved the myth that American cars break down "all the time," back then, it's even more valid today.
    ONLY IF

1) it was a valid survey - see comments about his emplyer

2) other manufacturers haven't improved THEIR quality !!

So it's even MORE wrong toady ( because others HAVE improved - check out a RELIABLE survey liek JDPowers or Which or TopGear

Thread Information