Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • American

21 32.31%
  • European

44 67.69%
Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: American Cars VS European Cars

I think this has already been stated multiple times: everyone looks for something different in a car, and everyone is biased in one way or another. For me though, this comparison comes down to just a few cars: the corvette zo6 and the ford gt for american cars, and the noble m12, m400, and the ultima gtr for european cars. This is because i am pretty much only concerned with performance bang for the buck, and i care more about acceleration than i do about handling (although i do care about both). As an american, i am very biased toward american cars, and if i had to choose i would go with american cars (mostly because of my love for the zo6 and because it is really hard to get the european cars I mentioned here in the US).

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Could it be that the snob appeal of a Porsche avails it a level of value beyond that which can be physically recognised. A Chev, Corvette or not is still a Chev. You buy a Magna/Gallant here and the resale compared to that of a similar Falcon or Commodore is less.
    That kinda what I was thinking, people say "Its a Porsche, so its superior to car X."

You buy a new car, you lose. Anywhere on the planet. Unless you keep it for 50 years and it so happens to be very sought-after when your grandson wants to sell it! There are very few examples of new cars appreciating.

Matra, I'm very surprised (to the point of disbelief) at that second-hand retail value for the Porsche 911. Is that for real?? The only way that could happen is if very very few were/are being made/exported and they are so sought-after demand out strips supply.

If the price difference is so tiny, people will buy a new one, assuming they can. If they can't, that would push the value up but I never thought that was true of the 911. Perhaps it is true of the US market? (I'm sure 911s don't stack up quite so favourably here in the UK, though they do hold their value very well compared to most cars. Which, coincidentally, has far little to do with snobbery and much more to do with excellent customer care and top quality engineering.)
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

many "common" classics are now worth far more than their original selling price. However corrected for inflation, this may only hold true for very few of them.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    You buy a new car, you lose. Anywhere on the planet. Unless you keep it for 50 years and it so happens to be very sought-after when your grandson wants to sell it! There are very few examples of new cars appreciating.
    Obviously What was being pointed out was the relative losses in each aka cost-of-ownership versus sticker price
    Matra, I'm very surprised (to the point of disbelief) at that second-hand retail value for the Porsche 911. Is that for real?? The only way that could happen is if very very few were/are being made/exported and they are so sought-after demand out strips supply.
    Took it straight from US company who are kind of like our Parkers.
    If you go to th elinks provided you can look up other cars too.
    If the price difference is so tiny, people will buy a new one, assuming they can.
    For TWO reasons, the new price is appealing with the cachet of it being "new" AND the appeal that second-hand value when you come to trade-up is so good.
    BMW are ACTIVELY doing this with the Mini and are rumoured to have slowed producitno down slightly to maintain the second hand market prices. MAte has just bought his wife a new Mini for £400 more than a second-hand one from the same dealer. ( BMW have an odd approach too - if you go in to look at second hand the BMW salesman is NOT allowed to suggest a new car to you. The customer has to ASK about it They're clearly learnign from the mess VW made with blanketing with their retro Beetle )
    If they can't, that would push the value up but I never thought that was true of the 911. Perhaps it is true of the US market? (I'm sure 911s don't stack up quite so favourably here in the UK, though they do hold their value very well compared to most cars. Which, coincidentally, has far little to do with snobbery and much more to do with excellent customer care and top quality engineering.)
    They don't over here
    See http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/use...buyorsell=sell
    Not sure I've pulled the same model so the comparison may be off slightly. You can play with this and the US one to find the discrepancies as homework
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    many "common" classics are now worth far more than their original selling price. However corrected for inflation, this may only hold true for very few of them.
    Sadly my Alpine and Matra collection fall WELL short of that even WITHOUT inflation correction
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Indeed - mine is worth about £8,500, which is way "more" than it cost in 1974 but factoring in inflation (which you have to do) it's "worth" less than half its original sale price, in real terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Obviously
    To you or I ... Worth highlighting to some ...

Interesting reply, btw - never thought about it that way. The high trade-in values are deliberate to encourage people to buy new all the time. So basically, manufacturer associated dealerships have second hand cars sitting on the forecourt with high price tags off to put people off buying them!

Never looked at it that closely to be honest. I can't see myself ever buying a brand new car, even if I could afford it - I'd rather lease one and make the depreciation someone else's problem! I can lease a car for a good £200 a month less than a 3 year monthly repayment plan would cost!

Cheers,

G
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

The high trade-in values are deliberate to encourage people to buy new all the time. So basically, manufacturer associated dealerships have cars sitting on the forecourt with high price tags off to put people off buying them!
    The trade-in price indeed is a trick. If you buy a car new, without any trade-in you are able to negotiate a considerable rebate (depending on the marque between 5 and 10%), If you trade in, part of that margin will be included in the trade-in price, giving the buyer the idea that he got a very good price for his car. The trick wroks better if you trade a Ford for a Ford etc.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The two stooges have been banned. All related posts removed. (Except this one )
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 12-06-2005 at 12:09 PM.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    The two stooges have been banned.
    im geussing they were the smae person

You crazy kids!
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    im geussing they were the smae person
    Yeah, the kid was in my graphic design class last year at my school. About got me and aNOBLEman banned also. We were going to kick his ass if he did. This site is like a home.
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraMan22
    Yeah, the kid was in my graphic design class last year at my school. About got me and aNOBLEman banned also. We were going to kick his ass if he did. This site is like a home.
    why did you get banned?

And therein lies the problem with banning idiots. They come back with new names. I suspect you'll have to do some IP barring.
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

And therein lies the problem with banning idiots. They come back with new names. I suspect you'll have to do some IP barring.
    Yes, but it is from a school where other legitimate users post from, so IP banning the idiots will also ban them.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information