Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Pushrod or OHC

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Heh, BTW our fule prices are considered high right now, around me its $1.88 per gallon for regular.
    Fuel prices in Europe hover around 1.1-1.2 euro per liter. (In the UK it is even more expensive). With a current exchange rate of 1 euro equalling 1.3 US$ and a US gallon being equal to 3.8 litres you can calculate the difference by yourself (I hope) but you are paying about one third of what we do. Consider that high.

That's why there is such a world of difference in the cars we are getting here and the ones sold in the USA.

Auto Motor und Sport this week tested the Chrysler 300 C Touring (sold in the USA as Dodge magnum). Its average consumption during the test was about 14 mpg. Its 5.7 litre hemi delivers 340 BHP and a torque of 525 NM (387 lbft) at 4000 revs. Quite impressive. Accelaration 0-100 6.5 seconds, top speed (governed) 250 kph.

From the same MB/Chrysler concern comes the Mercedes C320CDI. also tested this week which is admittedly a smaller car, (for this comparison I wish they had tested an E class with the same engine but you can't have everything). It weighs about 360 kg less than the Chrysler (2040 vs 1680 kg) Its average fuel consumption during the test was over 27 mpg. Ah you would say a slow diesel, but here are the specs: 3 litre V6 DOHC, 224 bhp, and 510 NM (376 lbft) of torque at 1600 rpm. From zero to 100 takes 6.9 seconds, top speed is a governed 250 kph.

The point of presenting this comparison? To show what happens when fuel becomes really expensive and scarce, a notion that has yet to sink in into the average american mind.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    1.98 for super here
    Aww we have around $2-2.10 for premium.

Aww we have around $2-2.10 for premium.
    :crying:

gee thanks

it really hurts to see all that cheap fuel and crap cars

nah, I'd still keep the best cars

JOKE, MAN JOKE
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    oh sorry, I didn't realise the rule that only YOU can move it slightly off to the side
    MASS in an engine is VERY bad, weight is secondary. MOVING MASS is terrible. MOVING MASS that has TO CHANGE DIRECTION is an accident waitign to happen.
    IF you knew more about engines these woudlnt' turn into 101 classes , please learn more before trying to explain the little you do comprehend as it save you repeating the 20% of waht you read in a mag some time, saome day.

So to return to components, there are LESS in a well designe SOHC engine than in an OHV. If you reALLY want them ALL described then open a "SLicsk cams 101"
    Slighty off to the side? Please... Moving from weight to moving mass to cover up for the bads of OHC, typical...
    Like I said, I DO know that, but the difference is I dont CARE, because were NOT talking about the right now, the argument was simply WEIGHT, and weight alone.
    nope, you dont' grasp the concept of ratios do you.
    You can't take a line .. it's a RATIO.
    ANd you're being FAR TO ANAL to apply it to every single activity.
    PLEASE either just accept it as given and SHUT UP, or get of your sorry arse and find out about it and then SHUT THE **** UP.
    Heh, you just cant admit you were dead wrong can you? Whats the big deal, you were wrong, now move on. BTW are you sobered up yet? It sure doesnt sound like it...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Fuel prices in Europe hover around 1.1-1.2 euro per liter. (In the UK it is even more expensive). With a current exchange rate of 1 euro equalling 1.3 US$ and a US gallon being equal to 3.8 litres you can calculate the difference by yourself (I hope) but you are paying about one third of what we do. Consider that high.

That's why there is such a world of difference in the cars we are getting here and the ones sold in the USA.
    So Ive heard...
    Auto Motor und Sport this week tested the Chrysler 300 C Touring (sold in the USA as Dodge magnum). Its average consumption during the test was about 14 mpg. Its 5.7 litre hemi delivers 340 BHP and a torque of 525 NM (387 lbft) at 4000 revs. Quite impressive. Accelaration 0-100 6.5 seconds, top speed (governed) 250 kph.

From the same MB/Chrysler concern comes the Mercedes C320CDI. also tested this week which is admittedly a smaller car, (for this comparison I wish they had tested an E class with the same engine but you can't have everything). It weighs about 360 kg less than the Chrysler (2040 vs 1680 kg) Its average fuel consumption during the test was over 27 mpg. Ah you would say a slow diesel, but here are the specs: 3 litre V6 DOHC, 224 bhp, and 510 NM (376 lbft) of torque at 1600 rpm. From zero to 100 takes 6.9 seconds, top speed is a governed 250 kph.

The point of presenting this comparison? To show what happens when fuel becomes really expensive and scarce, a notion that has yet to sink in into the average american mind.
    We think about fuel more than you would think that we do (that sounded weird...)
    You dont see diesels over here because of what we were talking about earlier, marketing. People here generally see diesel as "dirty", I think its that way because the large trucks(semis, etc.) and such are using diesel engines, and are spitting out alot of thick black exhaust. On top of that the ones sold in consumer trucks are very noisy. They get a bad reputation, and the norm becomes petrol engines... Hmmm that sounds much like something else that happend...

So Ive heard...

We think about fuel more than you would think that we do (that sounded weird...)
    You dont see diesels over here because of what we were talking about earlier, marketing. People here generally see diesel as "dirty", I think its that way because the large trucks(semis, etc.) and such are using diesel engines, and are spitting out alot of thick black exhaust. On top of that the ones sold in consumer trucks are very noisy. They get a bad reputation, and the norm becomes petrol engines... Hmmm that sounds much like something else that happend...
    It is not a matter of reputation. We had exactly the same prejudice against diesel engines about 10-15 years ago. Our trucks have the same problems as yours. Then the industry started to develop modern engines, which are quite powerful, consume little, and keep the emissions under control, lately through the application of particle filters. Now over 50% of the cars sold in Europe are diesel powered. It did not take too long to get rid of the prejudice, because the industry gave us the right stuff and not the shit they offer in the USA. (Ever heard of Say's law?)

In Geneva next week a new Cadillac will be on introduced, the BLS, based on the Saab 9-3, and o horror of horrors it will be available with a diesel engine, otherwise nobody would consider buying it in Europe. I bet this version will not be available in the USA.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Slighty off to the side? Please... Moving from weight to moving mass to cover up for the bads of OHC, typical...
    Like I said, I DO know that, but the difference is I dont CARE, because were NOT talking about the right now, the argument was simply WEIGHT, and weight alone.
    BUT weight is irrelevant.
    It only matter when you come to MOVE IT - otherwise your engine is stiing in your garage all the time - aso MASS is what actually MATTERS.
    I guess we put high school physics on the list of subjects you don't excel in
    Heh, you just cant admit you were dead wrong can you? Whats the big deal, you were wrong, now move on. BTW are you sobered up yet? It sure doesnt sound like it...
    Ther isn't a right/wrong issue here except in your mind.
    EVERYONE else ackno=wledges the good and bad of each and the value each brings.
    You only harp on the same old song about OHV being good and less weight ( not always true ) and cheaper ( not always true ).
    So PLEASE, I challenge you - coz I'm pissed ( and that's Scottish for annoyed not drunk )- at the BS still spewing.
    WHAT bit was "dead wrong" ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

It is not a matter of reputation. We had exactly the same prejudice against diesel engines about 10-15 years ago. Our trucks have the same problems as yours. Then the industry started to develop modern engines, which are quite powerful, consume little, and keep the emissions under control, lately through the application of particle filters. Now over 50% of the cars sold in Europe are diesel powered. It did not take too long to get rid of the prejudice, because the industry gave us the right stuff and not the shit they offer in the USA. (Ever heard of Say's law?)

In Geneva next week a new Cadillac will be on introduced, the BLS, based on the Saab 9-3, and o horror of horrors it will be available with a diesel engine, otherwise nobody would consider buying it in Europe. I bet this version will not be available in the USA.
    I personally wouldnt mind having diesel cars here, but it just seems like its not going to happen any time soon.
    And no, the BLS is a european only caddi, I rather have the CTS anyway.

I personally wouldnt mind having diesel cars here, but it just seems like its not going to happen any time soon.
    And no, the BLS is a european only caddi, I rather have the CTS anyway.
    may be you have to wait until the oil price has reached 150$ per barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    BUT weight is irrelevant.
    It only matter when you come to MOVE IT - otherwise your engine is stiing in your garage all the time - aso MASS is what actually MATTERS.
    I guess we put high school physics on the list of subjects you don't excel in
    Weight is irrelivant now? Are you seriously on something? Why does the Lotus Elise handle as well as it does? Ill give you a hint, light WEIGHT. The lighter the engine, the lighter the car can be...
    Heh, from that it looks like you didnt even attend a highschool...
    Ther isn't a right/wrong issue here except in your mind.
    EVERYONE else ackno=wledges the good and bad of each and the value each brings.
    You only harp on the same old song about OHV being good and less weight ( not always true ) and cheaper ( not always true ).
    So PLEASE, I challenge you - coz I'm pissed ( and that's Scottish for annoyed not drunk )- at the BS still spewing.
    WHAT bit was "dead wrong" ?
    You said something to the matter of the "real" powerband is 20% of the peak power to the peak power. In which that formula is clearly biased toward the higher revving engine, something that you would make up...
    Then trying to exclaim the Elise has a more "usable" powerband then the Corvette, and I proved you wrong, and you didnt futher reply to it. Heh, now if this was you telling me this, you would fill the entire post up with "OMFG OWNED" in big red letters, then start jumping to conclusions, but Im mature, thankfully for you. Now go play some cricket and drink some tea, im sick of hearing from you.

Weight is irrelivant now? Are you seriously on something? Why does the Lotus Elise handle as well as it does? Ill give you a hint, light WEIGHT. The lighter the engine, the lighter the car can be...
    Heh, from that it looks like you didnt even attend a highschool...
    Yes and the Elise is fitted with DOHC.

may be you have to wait until the oil price has reached 150$ per barrel
    Maybe... heh, but the when looking for a performance car, ironically enough, Ill be picking the american ones, getting better MPG than the european ones.

Yes and the Elise is fitted with DOHC.
    Yes, and the Elise is an I4, not a V engine.

Yes, and the Elise is an I4, not a V engine.
    So why quote an Elise then as an example of low weight?

Maybe... heh, but the when looking for a performance car, ironically enough, Ill be picking the american ones, getting better MPG than the european ones.
    you will pe picking a diesel performance car by that time.

Thread Information