Thread: Headlights

Headlights

I just had a small question in the back of my head ever since I was a young kid. Even though I have been on UCP for a long while now, I never actually remembered to ask you guys as somone probably knows what i'm talking about.

Why is it that some car headlights have these small mould-like projections in them ? What are these and what do they do ? Are they restricted to some types of headlights (e.g glass) ? Are they a by-product of the manufacturing process and have no use ?
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Can you describe it better, Misho ?
    On the oudised, the inside, the front, the back ?
    I can think of "projections" in each of those places and they all ahve different purposes.
    Give us a chance of givign you a one sentnece answer rather than a 2 page explanation of all light functions on cars
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ive always had a question for Misho, what the hell is that on your avatar?

ginger bread man!
    www.britishmods.co.uk

do you mean like the rear lights of the g35 maybe? thats all i can think of from this descrption.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

I think he means little points that protrude from the headlight cover. I have them on my car but have no idea why they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by LTT
    I think he means little points that protrude from the headlight cover. I have them on my car but have no idea why they are there.
    ah, those are their for the manufacturing and assembly processes of making the lamp and fitting it to the car.
    The lamp is aligned into the holding jig by those points to match a corresponding hole in the jig, thus ensuring the lamp is the right way round, the right way up and will move into the next assemlby step effortlessly
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

once again, matra has the answer
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

its funny how the only guy that understood what i am talking about is a fellow Nova Scotian (LTT) !! By the way, where in NS r u from LTT ?

thanks Matra for the answer, the only logical explanation i could think of was that they gotta have something to do with the manufacturing or assembly process.

as for my what my Avatar means, well thats a question that not even Matra could answer !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Misho
    as for my what my Avatar means, well thats a question that not even Matra could answer !!
    I can answer what it is tho...............well i think it's a gingerbread man?!?!
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Thread Information