Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Romeo Canguro

Quote Originally Posted by aha100
    Sorry guys, but Matt was asking for some pics of the 507 prototype, well that' s it.
    no, that is not it, it is a special body made by Vignale on the 507, in an attempt to be invited to make more of those. BMW kindly refused it and continued to produce the 507 as we know it.

This is the prototype, made by Veritas man Ernst Loof.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Sorry guys, but Matt was asking for some pics of the 507 prototype, well that' s it.
    thanks anyway, and welcome to UCP. You can be assured that Matt has already got all the pics he wanted
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    thanks anyway, and welcome to UCP. You can be assured that Matt has already got all the pics he wanted
    Thanks for the warm welcome, posted the wrong pic earlier, just wanted to find out if anybody knew

here is the right one, by far not as good as yours though, I' ll be working on it !
    Attached Images Attached Images

here is the right one, by far not as good as yours though, I' ll be working on it !
    i took my pics when I was there, that sometimes helps

Thanks for the photos of the Canguro at Villa D'Este. The car was sold from Germany to Japan something like 10 years ago, but I had not seen anything on the car until it apperaed in the entry list for Villa D'Este...

Quote Originally Posted by dretceterini
    Thanks for the photos of the Canguro at Villa D'Este. The car was sold from Germany to Japan something like 10 years ago, but I had not seen anything on the car until it apperaed in the entry list for Villa D'Este...
    Welcome to UCP, nice user name

I will add it to the database as well with a lot more pictures, but I'm still collecting details on the car and its provenance.

PS. It's good to see a f-chat member here
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

In case anyone is interested, Canguro means Kangaroo in Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    for those who want to know what is under that sleek body
    A sleek engine. Beautiful car, amazing engine!
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

The Canguro is esentually a street version of an Alfa TZ, with a tube chassis and a 1600cc 4 cylinder motor. It was inteded to become a production street version of the TZ, but only one was ever built. It was scrapped, and Gary Schmid rescuded the remains from Alfa's junkyard around 1971. He started on the restoration, but it was never compleated. The car was sold to Japan something like 10 years ago, and the new owner restored it and showed it for the first time at the Villa d'Este Concours last month.

I would estimate the value of the car at around 1 million dollars.

Interestingly the Italian Alfa Romeo mechanic who brought the car claimed it has 1300 litre engine. A regular 1600 engine should not be too hard to source.

On another note, here are some pictures of what Pininfarina created on a TZ chassis:
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    In which year did they do that?
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

1965 I'd say.

(Ted Joans)

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Ok, I should read the names of your pics first next time
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Now I am not so sure anymore; the only reference I have to this car claims it has unitary chassis based on the regular Giulia. Looking at how low the car and especially the bonnet/hood is, I highly doubt it.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information