Thread: Lexus LS400 ('95-'97) vs. Jaguar XJ ('98-'00)

Lexus LS400 ('95-'97) vs. Jaguar XJ ('98-'00)

To start off, I'm not giving a detailed comparison of these two cars, I'm asking you for one. I would like to know from your experience or what you have heard which one of these is truly better. Oh, and I am referring to the US versions only, as that's the country I'd be buying and driving them in ('cause it's where I live).

I chose these two cars because I've always loved Jaguars but I know that Lexus is the best. I'm sure that the Lexus is probably better in almost every way, but I just love the charm of the Jag. What I wanna know is if the Lexus would be so much cheaper to maintain or so much more reliable that it'd be stupid to go with the Jaguar. Also, I chose those two year ranges because that's the years you can get the two cars for $10-15,000, which is what I'd be looking to spend.

Okay, so... I'll ask some basic questions that I want to know the answers for. I'll put them on their own lines so you can easily split up a quote to answer them individually if you want.

How reliable is the Jaguar in relation to the Lexus (taking into consideration the specific years I have chosen)?

How much more would it cost for general maintenance and repairs for the Jaguar over the Lexus?

Would I have to take a Jaguar to a Jaguar dealership or a Lexus to a Lexus dealership in order to have more than an oil change done to it?

Could a Lexus be serviced and/or repaired fully at a regular Toyota dealership?

Could either be serviced and/or repaired by a local mechanic without me being worried about something going wrong?

And finally, for now, would either car be able to run on 87 octane fuel without any immediate or long-term problems or do both require 90+ indisputably? As I'm sure you all know, gas prices are climbing rapidly and this is an extremely valid concern. If I can run 87, I wanna know.

Thank you for answering any of my questions if you can. Also, thank you for taking the time to read through this . And I'll say it one more time so no one has any excuse to bash me or make me sound like an idiot because they think the Lexus is made by God or something: I love Jaguars, I love their charm, and I would rather have one than a Lexus if it's not considerably less reliable or it costs quite a bit more to maintain.
    Last edited by Gnafu the Great; 04-14-2005 at 01:22 PM.
    No-so-proud owner of a 1986 Mustang LX with the 2.3L four. Anyone wanna buy it? $500. I'll post some pics and info in the user's rides section soon.

I don't need anything too fancy, just something that can get me to the sun and back in 5 seconds flat.

I wanna see a comparison test between the Saleen SR, Lamborghini Gallardo, Ford GT, and Ferrari Challange Stradale. Anyone wanna help me with that? I already know who'd win, though ;).

man the Lexus is so much better than the jag, if i where u i would go for it

Ok.

Lexus is much, much more reliable than Jaguar. Simple as that.
    Lexus will be cheaper to run, repair, and buy most likely.

A fair few repairs to the Lexus could be done at the Toyota Dealership I think, not some of the more advanced ones though.

Also Lexus is roomier than the Jaguar.

But for outright charm and character, Jaguar owns Lexus.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Ok.

Lexus is much, much more reliable than Jaguar. Simple as that.
    Lexus will be cheaper to run, repair, and buy most likely.

A fair few repairs to the Lexus could be done at the Toyota Dealership I think, not some of the more advanced ones though.

Also Lexus is roomier than the Jaguar.

But for outright charm and character, Jaguar owns Lexus.
    I basically know all that, that's why I want more specific information on the differences in cost of upkeep between those two year ranges. Like I said, I love the charm of the Jag and would prefer it if it wasn't hideously worse in the upkeep department. Thanks for your input anyway, though .
    No-so-proud owner of a 1986 Mustang LX with the 2.3L four. Anyone wanna buy it? $500. I'll post some pics and info in the user's rides section soon.

I don't need anything too fancy, just something that can get me to the sun and back in 5 seconds flat.

I wanna see a comparison test between the Saleen SR, Lamborghini Gallardo, Ford GT, and Ferrari Challange Stradale. Anyone wanna help me with that? I already know who'd win, though ;).

No one has anything more to say?

A '98-'00 XJ would probably be reasonably good reliability-wise. It isn't an 80ies Jag anymore. That said, the LS400 is much better. But if I were you I would go for the Jag, charm above everything. If your budget allows it of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    A '98-'00 XJ would probably be reasonably good reliability-wise. It isn't an 80ies Jag anymore. That said, the LS400 is much better. But if I were you I would go for the Jag, charm above everything. If your budget allows it of course.
    That being said, it all comes down to picking what performs better (Lexus) or lowering your standards a tad to ride in prestige. (Jaguar)
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    That being said, it all comes down to picking what performs better (Lexus) or lowering your standards a tad to ride in prestige. (Jaguar)
    Well, for the years I've chosen, the Jag is more powerful . Thanks for your comments. Eh, I guess I'll just hafta wait and see what's available in my area when I go to buy, because I'd love either one . I'd try harder for the Jag, though . My mom's always loved Jaguars, and I'd love to chauffeur her around in one some day .

Thread Information