Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: oi holden fans

well they think that because theres some links in out societies, that we all share the same tastes. that certainly backfired for both companies with the Suburban and Taurus. we go through periods though where the companies will he lead here by someone who will either like to do it alone or tell the yanks how to do things (geoff polites being the first, peter handlingberger being the latter), and then we'll have someone who will follow Detroit's lead on some thing small like colour choice for a car
    I am the Stig

As long as they get some input that makes them feel like they run the world. Sounds like the yanks lol. Yeah the suburban was a huge mistake that really isnt a car for us very big heavy, The ford escape is ok. But i got a funny story on the taurus, My mate went to the motor show where they had the taurus on show they have never seen it before and couldnt work out which end was which, People were standing around with puzzeld looks on there faces. But from a mate who had one he said it was a great car to drive just was differnt outside.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

The suburban might've worked if the engines were more powerful. If im remembering correctly, it came wiht a 5.7L petrol V8 and a 6.5L T Diesel V8, and neither had any impressive power outputs. It had seating for 8 and i think 3.5 tonne towing capacity so it had some potential. Cars like the 1990 Chev 454 Duallie that my dad had, people around here still buy and enjoy, despite their typical american stereotype. Alot of people around here use them for horse floats and the such or towing their boats, compared to some Americans using them to get the shopping

The Taurus i guess suffered like the AU, the styling wasnt suited for such a big car and it looked rather hideous, but if you spent more time inside the car than otuside it wasnt so bad because of how it drove.

The Mazda built Ford Escape that we get is a pretty decent car, same with the European built Focus. Both the American built Focus and Escape have been pulled back into dealerships heaps for recalls and are crap quality.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Ok then would you like the argument to start up again with ford america here in australia ?????? GM does not own the 100% of holden check it out.
    then why on the holden parts packets does it say subsidury on GM?

Maybe Holdens change from GM-H to Holden LTD has something to do with it? Otherwise you would think they'd be working under some sort of Daimler-Chrysler setup. Unless somehow GM never put all of their company into the merger with the Holden coachbuilders so that it was never really a full merger on GM's part
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    then why on the holden parts packets does it say subsidury on GM?

that just means part of GM. they call holden a cousin of GM the yanks, I asked a question to holden and got a dumb response back.
    this is the answer to my question
    I don't think we (Holden) can claim to be any more or less Australian
    than Ford, Kelloggs, Vegemite (Kraft) or a multitude of companies that
    are owned fully or part by overseas Corporations.
    I think the main issue is that whilst many of our local companies are
    foreign owned, they employ many thousands of Australians (9000 at Holden).

Its a waste of time arguing the point over Australian ownership. It is nothing more than a warm fuzzy feeling anyway. Most companies are owned by shareholders who can generally come from any place. What is important is the impact the company has on the economy and the jobs it creates. Even a company owned exclusively by an individual resident does not have the same impact on the country of origin. Tha person is most likely to spend their millions on imported ggodies and travelling the world. A car plant like Holden, Ford , Mitsubishi and Toyota employ thousands of workers who spend their money in the country. They employ the services of hundreds of sub contractors who employ thousands of workers who do likewise. These companies pay taxes and government charges ( some more than others) which contributes to the revenue bas for govenrnments to hopefully spend in our interest.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

man, crisis has become like the expert on business management and stuff. when you look at the mitsubishi debacle, all the governments worried about is the loss of jobs
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Its a waste of time arguing the point over Australian ownership. It is nothing more than a warm fuzzy feeling anyway. Most companies are owned by shareholders who can generally come from any place. What is important is the impact the company has on the economy and the jobs it creates. Even a company owned exclusively by an individual resident does not have the same impact on the country of origin. Tha person is most likely to spend their millions on imported ggodies and travelling the world. A car plant like Holden, Ford , Mitsubishi and Toyota employ thousands of workers who spend their money in the country. They employ the services of hundreds of sub contractors who employ thousands of workers who do likewise. These companies pay taxes and government charges ( some more than others) which contributes to the revenue bas for govenrnments to hopefully spend in our interest.
    Your not running for PM are you mate lol, You sound good

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    These companies pay taxes and government charges ( some more than others) which contributes to the revenue bas for govenrnments to hopefully spend in our interest.
    Its all true other then this hope...we live in it...and do without lol.

Thread Information