Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US To Get 'Real ID' Card

I love american politics.

I majored in Political Science, so this stuff facinates me. This is Pork Barrel Politics at its finest. Enclose something that would possibly win by a very slim margin in somethign that is politically damning to vote against. This is what led to the anti-Kerry add showing him saying "I voted for it before I voted against it." He voted against all of the other crap in the bill, not the meat of the bill. Republicans are the kings of this politicking, but all parties are guilty of it. Its a side effect of Federalism.

I dont really care one way or the other about a national ID. As a member of the military, all of my information is already in the posession of the government, and its put into a little computer chip affixed to my Military ID. So it would be nothing new. But for those people that are proud to live in a society where they can be completely anonymous, its a difficult pill to swallow. I do think this is necessary to do at some point in the future, so why not do it now?
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    I dont really care one way or the other about a national ID. As a member of the military, all of my information is already in the posession of the government, and its put into a little computer chip affixed to my Military ID. So it would be nothing new. But for those people that are proud to live in a society where they can be completely anonymous, its a difficult pill to swallow. I do think this is necessary to do at some point in the future, so why not do it now?
    It is necessary that we give up our anonymity at some point in the future, or are you referring to the national ID card?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    82 billion US$?

It might be cheaper to send all americans out of the country (camping in the Sahara desert for instance) and let them back in one by one and see whether they meet all criteria of US citizen ship.
    no way, you dont understand, know what americans see as camping?

RV, RV park, gas grille, campsite pool, restroom facilites, 82 billion would cover like four families

[pulls collar]
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    no way, you dont understand, know what americans see as camping?

RV, RV park, gas grille, campsite pool, restroom facilites, 82 billion would cover like four families

[pulls collar]
    lol
    in AIRTC all we got was what we could put in our packs

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    82 billion US$?

It might be cheaper to send all americans out of the country (camping in the Sahara desert for instance) and let them back in one by one and see whether they meet all criteria of US citizen ship.
    The $82 billion is for the emergency war spending. The real ID bill is attached to the war spending bill, because the war bill is very likely to pass. It is unlikely that the ID bill would pass by itself, and the article does not indicate how much money will be needed for the ID.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Well Blair is now starting to push the British ID card, despite MANY examples being given of how it will NOT meet the objectives set.

Of course we respond in our normal manner -- http://eclectech.co.uk/clarkeidcards.php

Some of the other animations these guys do are very good ( Avoid "petting Zoo" if you're 'delicate' )

From the ONLY study ever done on id cards .....
    “Of the 25 countries that have been most adversely affected by terrorism since 1986, eighty per cent have national identity cards, one third of which incorporate biometrics. This research was unable to uncover any instance where the presence of an identity card system in those countries was seen as a significant deterrent to terrorist activity.”
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 07-22-2005 at 10:56 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I don't see what the big deal is, Mexico has a national ID card. They call it the Voter Credencial Card and it's used as THE ID in Mexico and you present it at polling stations come election time. It has your full name, age, current address, finger print signature and social security number (the same number you use here to file your taxes.) It comes quite handy to be honest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

The point that's been made is that in some cases these centralised IDs have actually REDUCED private protection. The US banks were asked a few years back to tighten up the SSN look-ups as they were being used to "steal" ids.

TWICE Britain has said it does not WANT ID cards.
    There is no REAL evidence that says they bring ANY value.
    We already have a secure drivers license and secure ( phot-id ) bank cards.
    No need for a single all encompassing card at all.

The 'joke' animatino abotu sums it all up
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    There is no REAL evidence that says they bring ANY value.
    You don't always carry bank card or drivers license (some people don't have them ). In Poland we have a regulation that states: if you're the citizen of Poland above 18 years you have to carry ID with your name, adress and photo. So the proper authorities (police for example) can discover your basic identity at any time within few minutes. I think they are usefull.
    Write five of your favourite cars in your signature.
    1. Ascari KZ1 2. Maybach Exelero 3. Pininfarina Birdcage
    4. Aston Martin DB9 5. BMW M6
    My ride: '97 Kia Sportage

As I'd said, there is no evidence that they are EVIDENCE of identity as most criminals/terrorist actually used their own id and fake ids are relatively easy to steal/produce

I think the big difference is that we are used to NOT having ID cards and in fact voted to remove the ones we used to have !

With all the other means of ID - which dont' carry the HUGE risk that the UK centralised ID proposal has - then they're of limited value.

With all the other means of ID - which dont' carry the HUGE risk that the UK centralised ID proposal has - then they're of limited value.
    Well, here in Mexico, the Voter card is accepted everyware as a valid ID. I find it's value in knowing that no matter where I go that requires an ID, I have one that will be accepted with no questions. Oh, and the pic has a hollowgram in it, making it very difficult, if not impossible to forge.

Another cool thing is that you don't have to "register" right before any election. Just show up at the polling station, show your voter ID and vote. I like it.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

If it would get voted out then it clearly isn't' wanted.
    "the house of representatives overwelmingly passed the bill"

sure sound unwanted....

im with taz, it would be one thing where you carry it and its accepted everywehre, like a visa check card except mine didnt work in ireland, which i was very pissed off by as i then had no money other than the 100euro in my pocket, anyway back to the point, it would be good as then you wouldnt have to have your id, social security number, birth certificate, doctors name, favorite color, name of your moms sisters best friends college roommates father best friend, etc. just once card, gets you everything, maybe we could have a credit card in it too?!?! that would be cool
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

i dont give a sjit about the card...if we must get them...oh well, if not, oh well
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    "the house of representatives overwelmingly passed the bill"

sure sound unwanted....
    i actually heard it was attached to a military spending bill....

"who wants to send more money over to help our troops in iraq?"

"everyone...good....[mumbles] we will also be adding a national ID"

"what? thats unheard of!"

"you dont want to help the troops in iraq?"
    pondering things

you also have to consider you source, even the liberal media isnt running this story, id be dubious of its authenticity

could alastor be dan rather in disguise?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Thread Information