Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to save the Fairlane and Statesman

How to save the Fairlane and Statesman

Well its no secret, as the slowest selling, possibly highest cost models in both Ford and Holdens local lineup, the Statesman and Fairlane are a hair away from being on the chopping block. What would you do to revitalise sales? Holden seems to be getting mediocre success from marketing the Caprice as a sports car, whilst Ford is struggling to make a good deal out of an awkward design. Personally, i think the wheel arches need to be increased in size. They both still come with 16" wheels standard afterall, and with such an out of proportion arse, bigger rear wheel wells might fix that problem
    I am the Stig

Yep make them fatter and longer. Stick 17" rims on them body kit them turbo supercharge the works then cut the price to only Say only 15% more then the Luxo SWB models ?
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I just tried to enlarge the rear wheel of this pic, with great failure MS Paint isnt my friend today

This pic really shows where improvement can be made though, small wheel arches, small rear doors, massive boot, massive C pillar....it just doesnt flow anymore
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am the Stig

Maybe if they do make a future LWB model both holden and Ford must give it more then a little wider here longer there higher around here.
    Make a car that can seat 3 adults in the rear and heaps of space in the boot chuck in some dvd's mobile phones pc connection and change the look away from the SWB models. Maybe a AWD in the LWB ? or maybe a Cheap base model like the SWB has. Start a base LWB at $39,000 ? With all the base has then work up from there? People might buy a base LWB model just for somemore room but without the high price tag?

Holden export more LWB sedans than they sell locally, so I'd imagine they are quite profitable. But Ford must be really hurting with current-gen Fairlane. Despite good fundamentals (dynamics and comfort etc) both AU & BA are the ugliest and least market-competitive local LWB Fords imo since model intro in 1966 .. which of course will make them great value as used car buys!

But yeah, I wonder how Fairlane can justifiably survive into the next generation ..

You would imagine with Zeta being under VE, and Ford not building the next Falcon to a budget like they did with the AU, theres the possibity for more flexibilty in the structure. dont know if they could realistically make them any more wider, but maybe play around with the wheelbase and overhands, just add little bits everywhere possible and it could work
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Holden export more LWB sedans than they sell locally, so I'd imagine they are quite profitable. .

You got that right mate.When the WH was introduced the building ratio was 1:7. Now its one for one. They are selling more statesmans then sedans now.Not a good thing i may add Mind you the WL is huge overseas.
    I'd like to see what the WM goes like.
    Sant0
    www.sant0.com

I would rather a LWB model over a SUV. But i'm not the worlds biggest fan of the SUV's

I agree 100% slickholden
    Sant0
    www.sant0.com

SUV's are now more popular though, so much so that Fords looking at an LTD Tezza. Done right, theyre also cheaper to build, i dunno if its outright or just % wise, but the Tezza is cheaper to build than the Falcon
    I am the Stig

Cheaper and it cost more
    I guess the main thing i hate about SUV's is as a driver it's fine but they are hard to sit behind trucks can brake but they can't pull up like a SUV could so that scares me a little

Ford claims the market determines pricing, not the factory, so it might end up being as i though more to build, but maybe $20K cost price compared to $18K on a Falcon, and the $6K extra on the retail price means it gets more profit per car
    I am the Stig

1 day we might only see SUV's.
    Gone are the days when the family would jump in a tarago I'll have a family of 6 and still have my VYII Calais The boot is free

yeah well 15 years ago we had wagons with dickie seats in the back, didnt we....the whole face the guy behind us deal, just remember to duck...

SUV's wont totally dominate though, i dont think any category ever has, and as long as people remain independant i dare say we havent got anything to worry about.
    I am the Stig

Like the utes sit in the rear cars comming duck Cops are comming jump out quick

Thread Information