Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it...

Why is it...

... that only supercars and the like come with scissors and gullwing doors? Is there actually a technical advantage over conventional doors or is it the 'look-at-me-im-rich' factor? If there actually is a technical advantage, why aren't they on more cars? Maybe it's just for the novelty factor. Can someone please fill me in. Thanks.

theyre on "pimped out" cars too...yo
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

Haha, I didn't add that one because on "pimped out" cars, they're clearly there for the bling, not performance. In fact, they probably make performance worse on those cars, where the doors haven't been integrated into the design.

It's hard to get in such a low car, the doors (at least some of them) are designed to make it easier to get in and out, IMO the Enzo and Ford GT in particular with the roof cutouts. Also, the because there is so little room top to bottom, the doors tend to be long, and a conventionally opening door would take up a whole lot of room. That's what Koenigsegg says at least, and probably the same goes for Lambo.

Oh ok. Thanks for that.

i think that is the same with the mercedes benz 500SL

the gullwing door thing...

On DeLoreans they were space conserving. Believe it or not, the gullwing doors on the DeLoreans required less room to open than a regular door.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by illusionest
    i think that is the same with the mercedes benz 500SL

the gullwing door thing...

300SL

I personaly think all supercars must be unique and have a "look at me" objective as long as with the performace figures, thoose types of doors are made with the aestethic function in view but also like in the 300SL for practical reasons, becouse the chassis didn't allow a convencional type of door.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by gregvl52
    ... there is so little room top to bottom, the doors tend to be long, and a conventionally opening door would take up a whole lot of room. That's what Koenigsegg says at least, and probably the same goes for Lambo.
    Yeah, The koenigsegg doors open up and forward for access in tighter situations and to take up less room. And plus they look cool as shit, never seen doors open like that on a car before. *If there is one i overlooked thats a production car can you tell me bout it?

And from what i remember, the Merc Gullwings doors opened like that because there was not enough room to fit a conventional door in so they needed to think of a way to put a door in. Wasn't there like a bar or sumthing running along the inside of the car on the side that made them not be able to do it[put a normal door in]? All i know is that it was something to do with the body that they had to keep.
    Last edited by sleekeywoowoo; 07-04-2005 at 03:31 PM.
    "'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'

A small technical disadvantage would be the inability to open your door to escape an overturned vehicle. Maybe an overturned, burning vehicle. But I've always been a pessimist

You'd have trouble in a normal car too, especially if it rolled over the driver's side door. But then side windows break easily for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by sleekeywoowoo
    And from what i remember, the Merc Gullwings doors opened like that because there was not enough room to fit a conventional door in so they needed to think of a way to put a door in. Wasn't there like a bar or sumthing running along the inside of the car on the side that made them not be able to do it[put a normal door in]? All i know is that it was something to do with the body that they had to keep.
    it was something to do with the tubular chassis running around the car quite high up the wasteline i think, so yeah thats why they had the doors like that
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Isn't it great when everyone skips my reply...
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    Isn't it great when everyone skips my reply...
    well, nobody listens to you...
    nah, i completely missed your post, sorry mate
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

i was just feeling lonely

Thread Information