• Corvette

14 45.16%
  • Chrysler 300

12 38.71%
  • Thunderbird

5 16.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American Muscle...from 1957

Here is some performance data I found about the 1957 cars in an April, 1957 issue of Motor Trend...

Plymouth Fury: (318-cu.-in V-8, 290 hp)
    "Zero to 60 mph in 8.0 seconds with manual transmission- over 2 seconds faster than standard 235-hp models. Firmer suspension greatly improves handling."

Dodge D-500: (325/285 hp, 310 hp optional)
    "Zero to 60 mph in 9.4 seconds with automatic transmission, about 8.8 seconds with with manual [for 285 hp engine]. Sway, roll, dipping and directional stability much better controlled; rides more securely."

DeSoto Adventurer: (345/345 hp)
    "Zero to 60 mph in 8.2 seconds; betters the standard 295 hp Fireflite by over 2 seconds. Handling is little changed from standard line- is good."

Chrysler 300-C: (392/375 hp)
    "8.0 seconds from zero to 60 mph with torqueflite automatic, 7.6 with manual shift. Roadability near that of sports cars."

Supercharged Ford & Thunderbird: (312/300 hp)
    "Manual-shift blown Thunderbird goes from zero to 60 in 8.0 seconds, Fairlane in about 9.4."

Mercury M-335: (368/335 hp)
    "Zero to 60 mph should be at least 0.5 seconds less than the 9.9 seconds of the Turnpike Cruiser or 9.6 seconds of Monterey with 290 hp engine."

Fuel-injection Chevrolet & Corvette: (283/283 hp)
    "Fuel injection gives 7.0 seconds big to 60 mph for Corvette, approx. 9.0 seconds for the sedans. Handling excellent for Corvette, good for others."

Pontiac with "Tri-Power": (347/317 hp)
    "Zero to 60 mph in 7.9 seconds (290-hp engine); 317-hp-engined cars, acceleration about the same at low end due to higher peak torque. These are 1957's hottest straight-away sedans. Handling slightly better than stock 270-hp cars."

Oldsmobile J-2 Rocket: (371/300 hp, 317 hp optional)
    "Zero to 60 mph in 9.1 seconds with 300-hp engine (9.7 in standard 277-hp Super 88); 312 hp improves upper end; little difference in lower end acceleration. Handling is not changed."

Rambler Rebel: (327/255 hp, 288-hp fuel injection optional)
    "Zero to 60 mph in 7.5 seconds with 255-hp engine; 288 fuel-injection engine supposedly capable of under 7.0 seconds. Handling improved with stiffer suspension."

Studebaker Golden Hawk (289/275 hp w/supercharger)
    "Zero to 60 mph in 9.2 seconds with automatic transmission; 8.7 with manual. Handling improved over sedan."

Quite interesting.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Haha, wicked quote.
    I "borrowed" that quote (blob car) from a mailing list called "Luxurylandyachts."

Good to see the amazing Rambler Rebel gets a mention. These vanilla sedans must have been the veritable 'invisible bomb' in their day

Of the three listed 1957 choices there is no contest for me .. Exner's beautiful Chrysler 300C with the great 392 Hemi V8 is my 1st choice, and daylight 2nd

I'd likely be equally tempted by the even more attractive (and lighter) Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Coupe with D-501 Hemi of course

Here's the plainer Coronet

T-bird all the way for me.
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Good to see the amazing Rambler Rebel gets a mention. These vanilla sedans must have been the veritable 'invisible bomb' in their day

Of the three listed 1957 choices there is no contest for me .. Exner's beautiful Chrysler 300C with the great 392 Hemi V8 is my 1st choice, and daylight 2nd

I'd likely be equally tempted by the even more attractive (and lighter) Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Coupe with D-501 Hemi of course

Here's the plainer Coronet
    Yeah, the Rambler Rebel looks kind of odd compared to the other, long-slung, finny '57s.

Definitely, the '57 Chrysler 300-C would be my first choice. Next would be either the '57 DeSoto with the 345-cu.-in./345 hp engine or the Plymouth Fury with the 318-cu.-in/290 hp engine.

That's a nice '57 Dodge. At the weekly car gathering, a '57 Desoto Fireflite is there almost every week. It has a 341-Hemi, but with only a 2-bbl carb. And it sure looks funny to see that tiny carb on the externally huge engine! I think next time I'll take a picture of the engine compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Here is an ad of one:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rambler Rebel: (327/255 hp, 288-hp fuel injection optional)
    "Zero to 60 mph in 7.5 seconds with 255-hp engine; 288 fuel-injection engine supposedly capable of under 7.0 seconds. Handling improved with stiffer suspension."

honestly id never heard of that thing...
    ive searched a bit and from what ive found, i think that the FI option was never actually produced...but the 'normal' rebel is still quite impressive

Yeah, I'm not sure if the fuel-injection Rambler was actually produced, either.
    If I was a big Rambler enthusiast, I would probably know. It's probably one of those "only 6 made" things.
    But, as you said, even the carb version was pretty impressive.

i went the 300C, but that Bel-Air was best
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    i went the 300C, but that Bel-Air was best
    I think those '57 Chevys were overrated. The 300 is faster, better-handling and roomier.
    Of course, the Chevys were less expensive and easier to run.

It's not a '57, but I do like the '58 Buick.
    The chrome alone must have weighed 500 lbs.!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    I think those '57 Chevys were overrated. The 300 is faster, better-handling and roomier.
    Ironic isn't it? I can't understand it either! In 1957 Chryco delivered one of the most stylish, innovative & individualistic USA model ranges ever, yet ask anyone about that year and all most inevitably think of those stubby little '57 Chevs

If one's preference must fall towards GM, then surely the Buick Century or smooth Olds? Of course everyone's entitled to their Bow Tie opinion .. I s'pose. But hell, I'd climb over any Belair to get to a '57 Stude Hawk!

For pure designer-style those low-line Desoto Fireflites are a favourite of mine too, very clean Exner-ismic, and to my eyes all twin-headlight '57 Mopars look better than those equipped with quads. Imo everything Exner ever did is gotta-have. Over 25 years ago I knew a guy who had a '57 Custom Royal Coupe (a r/h/d 361 pushbutton in red/cream with black steel widies & barking duals) which btw was one of only two examples ever imported new into Oz. So a very rare unit here indeed. Not concours by any stretch, a bit dusty & faded so it had the general aura of a vehicle that was up to no good. I was lucky enough to be lent it a coupla times and man, what a sexy beast! I will never forget burbling through a sleepy suburban shopping strip, watching mothers protectively ushering their teenage daughters off the curb to safety, away from this evil device! Even in the late '70s it was still a spaceship on wheels, an absurd visual contrast to our conservative aussie compacts. Great fun to drive & had a surprisingly modern feel. I tried to buy it, but alas no-go. Given the same choice tomorrow I would not hesitate another try
    Last edited by nota; 07-16-2005 at 08:33 AM.

I'd take the Thunderbird. In person it is very beautiful and doesn't look 'over-sized' like many other rivals at the time. The Corvette is pretty too, although I'd prefer the launch model.
    On a Good day, Chris Bangle designs the Fiat Coupe.
    On a Bad day, he designs a BMW.

R.I.P Richard Burns.

Corvette all the way babyyyy!
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    if i had a bel air or that 300, i wouldn't be to fussed about handling. thats a cruiser
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information