Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vids of 2 F1 engines at work

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    Perhaps a taste of the future....

http://www.cosworth.com/downloads/co...ie5_medium.mpg

Not a lot to see there unfortunately, and I guess the noise may be muted somewhat by being behind the glass window of the dyno room, but the figures are certainly pretty darned impressive!!!
    Funny, at 9000 RPM it almost sounds like it's idling!

I wouldn't be surprised if it were idling at ordinarily sky-high rpms considering it reacher 20000rpm (and was probably electronically limited). Remember, F1 engines don't have flywheels

Bit more info on that Cosworth V8....

Quote Originally Posted by Planet-F1.com
    In 2006 engines in Formula One will swap from V10 designs to V8 and Cosworth are hoping that the development of their V8 engine will grab the interest of some of the F1 teams.

"The V8 is up and running, with well over 700 horsepower at 21,000 revs," Cosworth owner Kevin Kalkhoven told Autosport.

"It's going well. It's a great engine. We're in negotiations with a couple of teams at the moment and we'll see how it goes."

"It's hard to compete with the manufacturers that give away free engines and a lot of support. So it really depends on how important having an independent engine manufacturer is to Formula One or whether they want to be entirely in the hands of manufacturers."

He added: "Obviously we would like to have the engine in Formula One. You certainly go out of your way to create a competitive offer to teams, but in the final analysis, you can never exceed an offer that a manufacturer will make."
    Seems that in the video they were just taking it easy on the dyno, the engine had an extra 1000rpm in reserve!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Ive heard elsewhere theyve actually gotten 800hp peak out of it, but by saying it makes "well over 700hp at 21,000rpm" neither confirms or denies that does it. Either way, 700hp was the figure the FIA wanted to go back to.
    I am the Stig

for real ?? look at the exhaust.. how can F1 body works withstand such heat ??
    and the fire from the exhaust pipe burning constantly.. it can't be right.. can anyone explain ?
    "anything that doesn't kill ke makes me stronger" - Sebastian Kaine, Hollow Man

"You F**K With me , you F**K with the best" - Tony Montana, Scarface

considering the audience, i dare say something was tuned in the engine to produce the flames like that, but the bodywork of the cars has fairly good heat resistance
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    considering the audience, i dare say something was tuned in the engine to produce the flames like that, but the bodywork of the cars has fairly good heat resistance
    Nope that's what the exhausts do.
    Teh heat from them is unbelievabel until you experience it.
    They had the Williams and the BAR at Mount Stuart couple of years back and we had full access

If you go back to season start this year and last you will find lots of images from pre-testing showing many of the cars MELTING the bodywork !! There wer pics going aroudn at those times showing IIRC Williams, Ferrari and McLaren all with distotred, melted and even holes from the heat.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I think they captured a fair few McLaren ones just with 2 red patches over the rear bodywork
    I am the Stig

Thread Information