Thread: Towing rules in Belgium and Germany ?

Towing rules in Belgium and Germany ?

Anyone know them ?

The A610 is going to be trailered to Germany via Zeebrugge.

Taking the A610 is borderline legal in the UK on weight limits for the Quadra towing. With some careful loading I can be OK

BUT being that close to what the UK considers legal worries me on the rules and regs in the other countries I would be passing through.

Anyone KNOW the facts - or point me to an English description ?

THANKS.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Finally the A610 is ready to make a long trip...
    Last edited by McReis; 07-13-2005 at 09:10 AM.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Finally tha A610 is ready to make a long trip...
    Taking Portugal as an example, I think the rules also have to do with the car that is towing it. Anyway I have no idea if the ratio is different between countries.

Some of the guys who have been racinf here in Porto Historic Grand Prix last weekend don't seem to care. Some were towing heavy cars with things like Fiat Doblós and Berlingos through Europe.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Some of the guys who have been racinf here in Porto Historic Grand Prix last weekend don't seem to care. Some were towing heavy cars with things like Fiat Doblós and Berlingos through Europe.
    yeah, SOMETIMES a blind eye is turned.
    Certainly watching some of the classics being trailered otu of Le Mans last month would be booked in the UK for exceeding Maximum weight. But it's the 'gendarmes', they even waved at me on my bike with race exhaust

Even in the UK you are not safe anymore. Friend who races Legends has now been stopped TWICE and charged with TWO SPERATE offences for towing the Legend's with a 7.5t TRUCK !!!! Each time it seems clear that the traffic cop was just being an a-hoel and wanted the bookings for his targets !!!

So I'm wanting to play VERY safe
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Probably the only thing that you have to take into account is the official factory stated weight that the Quadra may tow. Should be in the specs. I assume you will use a trailer with suitable brakes anyway. When will the excursion take place?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Getting a couple of days window to try and get this sorted out
    Still to lock a slot in at Ress for the work, but want to have everything ready to go !!

In the UK there is a "wooly" line about 80% of the towing capacity unless you are an "driver experienced at towing" WTF !!!! ?????

MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass ) weight is the key thing in the UK. IF it's the same everywhere else then I'm laughing Because my license is pre 97 then I can tow anything ! The REQUIRMENT that the MAM equals the towing vehicle is only a "RECOMMENDATION" !!!

The law is an ass.

So now I'm not sure, in Europe ( only care for Germany and Belgium ) will it be the MAM or not ????

As I said, your Quadra should have somewhere in its specs an indication of the maximum load it may (with/without brakes). (Example: New Passat 1.6FSI, 1300/710 kg, Audi A4 only 1200/690 kg) That is the determining factor in Germany. For Belgium I suppose it is the same, but googling for the exact rules provided no clear cut answer.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thanks Henk.
    The MAN rules match the twoing weight for the Espace.
    So I'm OK in the UK ( well I need to drop 100kg for the trailer I can borrow, but that's just the rear seats and spare wheel to come out )

Thanks for doing google, not so easy when I try in English to check on Belgium/Germany

Daughter has just pointed out the obvious -- I should ask the AA. :embarrassed:

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Daughter has just pointed out the obvious -- I should ask the AA. :embarrassed:
    do you have a drinking problem???

Thread Information