Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RTA comes under fire over P plate regulations

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    How is it that the Daihatsu Copen is Banned, But the Cappucino Isn't?
    Copen isn't is it?, this is what I found.

Quote Originally Posted by RTA Website
    Exempted vehicles
    The following turbo and supercharged vehicles are exempt and will not require an application form to be submitted:

All diesel powered engine vehicles.
    Suzuki Cappuccino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 698cc (1/01/1992 - 1/12/11997).
    Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible Turbo 4 659cc (1/10/2003- ).
    Smart vehicles (all models).
    There are only two possible explanations: either no one told me, or no one knows.

Looks like the RTA's starting to give in to pressure
    I am the Stig

i mean a smart, come on. I'm waiting for them to give into volvo and MB
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

well those smart's can be pretty top heavy things and theyve got those smart roadsters afterall

but yeah..those ones were common sense really, but some will take the opportunity at a few cars being added to the exemptions to fight for others
    I am the Stig

the smart city car is sposed to be one of the worst handling cars ever
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

So far i havent heard of anyone doing any stunts like those performed in the first MB A -Classes though. One positive i suppose is theyre RWD
    I am the Stig

Anyone seen the Pizza New Series. You seem to be able to do a lot with a Smart.

It's remarkably stupid legislation. Period.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

From today's Australian newspaper:

'Cars prohibited include entry-level Mercedes such as the C180K and E200K, most Volvos and all Saabs. "The E350 is not on that list but has nearly twice the power of the E200K", Mercedes sales manager Clyde Cambell said'

This is insanity

It goes to show what can happen when faceless unaccountable idiots are put into in a position of power within a field they obviously fail to understand

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    From today's Australian newspaper:

'Cars prohibited include entry-level Mercedes such as the C180K and E200K, most Volvos and all Saabs. "The E350 is not on that list but has nearly twice the power of the E200K", Mercedes sales manager Clyde Cambell said'

This is insanity

It goes to show what can happen when faceless unaccountable idiots are put into in a position of power within a field they obviously fail to understand
    You may have seen Motor's coverage over it in their latest mag, but theyve got a list of 7-8 cars and listing whether Vic with the power to weight limit allows or restricts them and vice versa now with NSW, and pretty much whatever NSW allowed, VIC didnt such as the integra type r, and what VIC allowed, we didnt such as all the 3 c yl turbo's, volvo's, merc's and even the mini cooper s
    I am the Stig

Haven't seen MM, but jeez FPV what a cockup. Will anyone get the sack - nah of course not, coz the lunatics are taking over the asylum. I bet this emanates from the same Staysafe/Paul Gibson (safety-nazi) Govt department drongos that have repeatedly called for 110km/h speed limiters to be compulsary fitment on all cars .. they obviously haven't tried overtaking a truck with 6 mph (twice walking speed) to spare

I think Motor and Wheels are considering it as just part of their massive campaign against the government and their dodgy rules, which stretches to the governments speed blitz campaigns, ignoring evidence that 130km/h is safer than 110km/h and a few other things. It makes you wonder though, had Bob Carr not been re-elected, would Brogden (NSW liberal opposition) have tried a similar stunt?
    I am the Stig

prolly not, whats the oppositions stance on this?
    The Datto will rage again...

i havent heard too much about it, i think Labour's had a hard enough time dealing with the NRMA and their own advisors, let alone what the Lib's think
    I am the Stig

Has anyone with a "prohibited vehicle" been granted an exemption on the basis that your vehicle is a 'moderated', 'principal family vehicle'?

What does "principal family vehicle" mean?
    Does it mean it has to be the ONLY car you have in the household?
    Does it mean it has to be the MAINLY USED car when you have more than one car?

What are the determining factors to find that the vehicle is a 'principal family vehicle'?
    What is the likelyhood to have exemption granted?

I am intending to apply for an exemption on this basis; but I don't want to waste $23 and have my application rejected.
    So it would be appreciated if anyone could help or provide any related information.

Thanks!!

exemption is balls hard. i doubt you will get it unless there is literally no alternative.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information