Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Info for F1 and Indy car engines

I just have the impression that F1 engines (especially pre-2005) are inherently unreliable, and maintaining high rpms (to keep it competitive) on an oval for any extended period of time would cause it to go bang Before 2005, there were heaps of engine-related retirements every race, and this was under less severe conditions than an oval. Indy engines on the other hand don't rev quite so high, and are more robust.

Early retirements I think are swayed by all the new V10 engines appearing on the scene that were untested in real race conditions ?

I think in saying "F1" we'd need to decide if it's at it's worst or at the amazing reliability Ferrari showed

If you go earlier to the Judd or the Cosworth then these are engiens which have dominated endurance races. Pretty much by dropping the revs ( and piston shape to reduce compression )

Larger gears, drop the revs and you'd be IN oval racing territory.
    Also, it's actually easier on the engines as there are less BIG changes on load that an F1 engine encounters in and out of tight corners.
    The other BIG thing that an F1 car would have to do tho is get bigger side pod radiators to cool it in "dirty air"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information