View Poll Results: What do you think of the new law?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

16 57.14%
  • Bad

4 14.29%
  • Don't Care

8 28.57%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F1-Tobacco Ads=?

F1-Tobacco Ads=?

July 31st and a big change for Formula One

Formula One will have to tow the line as tobacco advertising legislation in Europe comes into effect on July 31st.

All print advertising, radio advertising and event sponsorship by tobacco companies will be outlawed. July 31st falls the Sunday of the Hungarian Grand Prix, so unless teams are willing to break the law on the Sunday of the Grand Prix, they may well have to switch from tobacco livery to non-tobacco livery on the Saturday evening for Sunday’s race.

Five teams, half the field, run tobacco advertising. BAR run Lucky Strike, Ferrari - Marlboro, Jordan - Benson & Hedges, McLaren - West and Renault - Mild Seven. Significantly, even non-EU races will be affected as the pictures beamed back to Europe cannot show tobacco advertising.

Marlboro have been playing around with its red, black and white branding this year on the F2005 and are looking to run the colours if not the signing for the foreseeable future. McLaren will be running its Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky branding for the first time in Turkey while many teams who currently run tobacco advertising have yet to announce their plans.
    So, does anyone care? think its good/bad? IMO it wont be a huge change but its good none the less.

Also, lets hear some good/bad/crazy/funny ideas to replace the sponsors. heres one to get you started...

Edit: yeah, the link is to an image on another forum (where i got the info from) fixed...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johnnyperl; 07-21-2005 at 09:44 PM.

all I see is this dreaded red x
    eat cicada

Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLETON
    all I see is this dreaded red x
    and why UCP's attachment system is better than inline tags

The link refers to an attachment on another forum. One which requires the user to be logged in to view attachemnts.

Generally, if you are grabbing an image from a site that requires you to log on then nobody else will get to see it. Copy it to your PC and the uplaod it as an attacment and we can all enjoy.

Cheers
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Hehe, this hits Ferrari real bad. Renault and Bar-Honda too but not as much as Ferrari.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Hehe, this hits Ferrari real bad. Renault and Bar-Honda too but not as much as Ferrari.
    I'm not so sure to be honest. It's all about who can you get to replace the current sponsors. Everyone knows that Ferrari are the most prestigious and recognisable 'brand' on the F1 grid. I would imagine there would be companies knocking down Luca di Montezemolo's door to get their product's plastered all over the sides of a bright red (and possibly race-winning) Ferrari. And it seems that mobile phone giants Vodafone have been waiting in the wings for the last couple of years with their ready-made red & white logo, I wouldn't be suprised if it is they who fill the void left by Marlboro.

With Renault it looks like they're likely to have the lure of being either (or both) WDC/WCC to their name for next season. I'd bet there'll be plenty of firms clamouring to get their branding all over a Championship winning car.

BAR on the other hand look likely to be the biggest losers. The team was started out using a HEFTY amount of investment from British American Tobacco (hence British American Racing). I think their current $900million ( ) sponsorship deal was due to run for another year or two at least, but with this new ruling it leaves BIG question marks. With Honda now believed to own a 45% stake in the team it seems likely that over the next few years they'll gradually take more and more control, and turn it into a Honda works team. BAR may soon become obsolete.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    I'm not so sure to be honest. It's all about who can you get to replace the current sponsors. Everyone knows that Ferrari are the most prestigious and recognisable 'brand' on the F1 grid. I would imagine there would be companies knocking down Luca di Montezemolo's door to get their product's plastered all over the sides of a bright red (and possibly race-winning) Ferrari. And it seems that mobile phone giants Vodafone have been waiting in the wings for the last couple of years with their ready-made red & white logo, I wouldn't be suprised if it is they who fill the void left by Marlboro.

With Renault it looks like they're likely to have the lure of being either (or both) WDC/WCC to their name for next season. I'd bet there'll be plenty of firms clamouring to get their branding all over a Championship winning car.

BAR on the other hand look likely to be the biggest losers. The team was started out using a HEFTY amount of investment from British American Tobacco (hence British American Racing). I think their current $900million ( ) sponsorship deal was due to run for another year or two at least, but with this new ruling it leaves BIG question marks. With Honda now believed to own a 45% stake in the team it seems likely that over the next few years they'll gradually take more and more control, and turn it into a Honda works team. BAR may soon become obsolete.
    That's true... didn't look into the details too well.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

good points, Jack. similar was mentioned on the other thread; some teams will have no problems (ferrari, renault, mclaren) others are gonna possibly be SOL (jordan, BAR)

in regards to ferrari, on the other thread it was mentioned that there are rumors that coke will be a major sponsor. also, read a couple years back (when the bans were announced) that marlboro owns the "rights" to the ferrari team. what that means is that companies like vodafone (ones that arent technology partners) actually pay marlboro. dont know if this is still valid.

dont be suprised to see race-specific livery either. it has been done a few times in the past. see the attached pics...
    Jaguar+Oceans Twelve movie at Monaco in 2004
    Red Bull+Star Wars movie at Monaco in 2005
    Jaguar+Terminator 3 movie at Silverstone in 2003
    BAR+555 (i know its tobacco) at Shanghai in 2004

Also, wonder how WRC is gonna work this (Subaru+555 and Peugeot +Marlboro)

I love how three of those are from the same team, apparently RBR/Jag are the biggest capitalists on the grid..

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve87
    I love how three of those are from the same team, apparently RBR/Jag are the biggest capitalists on the grid..
    and theyre all movies too. its a good idea, suprised that it doesnt happen more (especially in the US+Canada where many of the sponsors arent established). can i ask why you voted that its a bad idea (public poll ) ?

too bad we couldnt have F1 with only fatory teams with no sponsorship (Monza 2001) on the cars. now all the teams except ferrari are totally disconnected (geographically) from their respective manufacturers.

The driver seems to agree with the poll.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I think this is a bad idea. For one, teams should be allowed to sign sponsoship deals with whoever they choose. Signing legislation preventing tobacco advertising is like signing legislation to prevent fast food advertising because fast food causes heart disease. And in a time where drinking related automobile deaths are at an all time high, jonnie walker adverstising on a racing automobile doesn't seem like a good alternative to tobacco advertising. Just my thoughts.

Tobacco is a completely useless, addictive and hazardous product. The same can be said about fast food products. The big difference however is that consumption of a burger is a completely private enterprise, whereas smoking a cigarette has an effect on anybody around the (ab)user. Smoking should be banned from any public place indoor and outdoor, and a good way to start that is banning the ads. It should no longer be cool to smoke.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Tobacco is a completely useless, addictive and hazardous product. The same can be said about fast food products. The big difference however is that consumption of a burger is a completely private enterprise, whereas smoking a cigarette has an effect on anybody around the (ab)user. Smoking should be banned from any public place, indoor and outdoor, and a good way to start that is banning the ads. It should no longer be cool to smoke.
    I can't wait till i go to Ireland next week, i can go down the local pub, and there will be no smokers! YEAH! Go smoking ban.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Suka
    I can't wait till i go to Ireland next week, i can go down the local pub, and there will be no smokers! YEAH! Go smoking ban.
    Yeah I can't wait for that to happen here as well. Smokers really are the worst junkies around: it is still socially acceptable, but it bothers me a lot more than someone doing a line of coke.

(Ted Joans)

I love the seventies:

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information